Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2008, 10:03 AM

7 posts, read 43,424 times

Advertisements

I'll be starting there soon next week. I heard on the news of potential layoffs coming soon but mostly in Kennedy Space Center but JSC is also affected.

Weldon Amendment Forces NASA to Reveal Massive Layoffs | SpaceRef - Your Space Reference

This job required me to relocate so it is a big move for me. I'm wondering from people who is working at JSC right now if they'll be affected. From previous history, are these layoff news over exaggerated? I'm hoping it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 05:03 PM

24 posts, read 164,703 times
It really depends on if you are a Fedral NASA employee or on what contract you are hired on for.
If you work for a company NASA contracts when contracts or projects end you might have to find new ones before you are let go (It depends on the company your working with). I worked for a company with a NASA contract. I moved here for NASA. It was on my list of BIG DREAMS growing up away from it. I found out that they were cutting the project I was hired for the next month after I got here. I was last in so I was on the short list for lay offs. I sqeaked by with getting a phone call to go to another project just as my boss was handing over the pink slip. It would have been aweful for my family had I offically gotten the pink slip after moving here only a month earlier. I am no longer with NASA as my personal experiance was not good. At the end of each year when the budget dwidled I wondered if I would have a job. I was layed off with a couple hundred people after 5 years of it. What I experianced was based on the contracting company I worked for. I have friends who are with other companies and are satisfied with the work, have not had the problems I did and accept the fact that they need to keep their ear to the ground to make sure they are on projects that are continuing. Many of the people I was laid off with have returned to NASA under another contract which is pretty common. NASA Fed employees are more secure as NASA lets contract workers go before their employees.

I am happy about the move in general. We like the Houston area. It has a lot to offer and jobs are plentiful. When I was laid off I found a better job in three weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston