Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 05:48 AM

25 posts, read 77,599 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I have been reading this forum for a little over a year and honestly have never heard ANYTHING good or bad mentioned about Fresno.

The reason that I am interested (of course ) is that I am considering relocation to the Houston area. I have visited once for the sole purpose of research and found really nice areas in Houston, Spring and Fresno, as well as very friendly people.

My husband and I are both in college (soon to graduate) and I was also wondering how the job prospects are for an elementary school teacher and a beginning computer programmer.

We are both in our late thirties and would like to purchase a home for 130,000 or so. We don't have any school-age children.

Any comments, advice or suggestions on where I should concentrate my search? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 02:29 PM

69 posts, read 246,826 times
There are alot of forclosures in Fresno as well as some stanch Fresno haters here!!! But anyway, I'll give you the real information, since I LIVE here!

Ok, As your aware some of the subdivisions in Fresno's have very high forclosure rates and those are/were mostly due to shady lending practices. People who could not afford to were paying up to $400K for homes depending on the subdivisions as late as 2006. SO of course, you can imagine the foreclosure rate. That being said, the area is still beautiful. Even the foreclosued homes are well kept lending to the peaceful, clean appearance of the neighborhood.

Now I will tell you I moved here from NY in 6/07(rented a home in fresno), with hubby and kids no family for the same reasons you listed and LOVED it since day one!!!! The homes are going for a steal now, and the good ones (no inside damage) are on the market for less then 45 days. They are being snatched up quick by mostly families I see.

Anyway, we snatched one up as well and have been living in our own for 6 weeks now. LOVE IT. We come from NY and are not used to how people out here move like every 4-5 years. Our home is our investment and our HOME. We intend to live here for a long while, of course unless, the neighborhood turns south and even the rough neighborhoods in the suburb have nothing on BKLYN,NY.

Anway all that to say, if your ready to finally make the move RENT first. See if the area fit your needs. There are about 5 subdivisons out here and they're quiet. We have no shopping and have to drive to Pearland or Missouri City but that is still like only a 10 minute commute.

Email me if you any questions.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:56 PM

257 posts, read 988,451 times
Default Fresno

If I was to move anywhere in Galveston county right now it would be Friendswood.Friendswood will be built out by 2011 and the Friendswood school district is one of the best in Galveston county.You will pay more for a house but I think when the new ones have been completed you will see a large increase in prices here.According to the Chronicle a few weeks ago Friendswood home values were up 5.7% last year.As far as public schools go in other areas they are very large and they just keep building new schools.In Friendswood ISD there is only one High school .No other highschool will be built here ever and I think that is a good thing.The tax rate here is 2.83 which is very low for a Burb in houston.I work downtown and it only takes 30 minutes to get to work sometimes 25 by breaking the speed limit .

Old 04-28-2008, 05:11 PM

2,629 posts, read 8,850,188 times
Some subdivisions in Fresno have been in the news lately due to the high rate of foreclosures, (I can think of worse things to be in the news about).

Just out of curiosity, if you don't have kids, why are you looking at suburban areas like Spring and Fresno? Nothing wrong with that, but the usual draw is school for the kids. Do you just prefer newer areas?

Old 04-28-2008, 06:41 PM

25 posts, read 77,599 times
Thanks for all of the responses to my questions about Fresno. I just happened to be looking online and there were some very lovely homes in Fresno. My husband and I picked a realtor and took a chance and drove to Houston. The realtor showed us homes in Fresno, Spring and in Houston.

Honestly, I am not leaning toward any one particular area, although there was an absolutely gorgeous sub called Winfield Lakes (I think). But I don't think we could afford that.

I am from Michigan and I would pick any of those areas over another cold, dreary winter and unaffordable housing.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:41 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,484,559 times
Personally if you want great resale value on your home, don't move to Fresno. Take a look at subdivisions in Pearland such as Silverlake, Sunrise Lake, Shadow Creek Ranch or even Rodeo Palms in Manvel. They provide great access to Hwy 288 which will take you straight into downtown Houston. pm me for any other details...

Old 04-30-2008, 01:01 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,336,959 times
Don't sell yourself short. Winfield lakes you can get in for around your price range. Heck you can get into Sienna Plantation for around that price point too.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:19 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,626,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbucle View Post
If I was to move anywhere in Galveston county right now it would be Friendswood...
That's great, but Fresno is in Fort Bend County.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:42 PM

490 posts, read 1,436,334 times
Default Fresno

Is Fresno just another small city...like Missouri City and Stafford......???

It looks like they are all bunched together...

Old 01-24-2009, 01:14 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,850,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josci View Post
Is Fresno just another small city...like Missouri City and Stafford......???

It looks like they are all bunched together...
I have heard that the foreclosure rate in Fresno is quite high...something to investigate to see if that is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston