Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 09:29 AM

24,014 posts, read 15,110,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I hate the fact that I live outside of Houston and all taxes paid by businesses by my house get taken by Houston.
s...., I go to Houston once a month.
The CoH returns 1/2 what they collect in sales taxes to the MUD that allowed them to annex the commercial area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 09:38 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,983,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The CoH returns 1/2 what they collect in sales taxes to the MUD that allowed them to annex the commercial area.
And the MUD mostly uses that to pay down debt, not for civic improvements within the MUD.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:45 AM

348 posts, read 460,844 times
Quote:
Why did the MUDs allow Houston to annex the commercial areas though? None of this makes much sense to me.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:51 AM

5,623 posts, read 4,953,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbf2006 View Post
Why did the MUDs allow Houston to annex the commercial areas though? None of this makes much sense to me.
They wanted the tax $!

Old 01-08-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
And the MUD mostly uses that to pay down debt, not for civic improvements within the MUD.
They could also, if they chose to, use it to lower the maintenance tax rate or the usage fees.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:12 PM

331 posts, read 487,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbf2006 View Post
It actually is fairly complicated so you are not alone. For starters Houston does not have to allow these muds, but they do, subject to these conditions. And the state laws on these matters allow the city and muds to establish these agreements to their mutual benefit. That is why. In other cities/metro areas, they would often say no to a mud and the developer can develop where the city infrastructure is and foot the bill for the development infrastructure (although of course they pass it along in other ways other than a mud tax). Houston on the other hand says yes, subject to these types of conditions and agreements being discussed in this thread. I guess that is the trade off so to speak.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:53 PM

24,014 posts, read 15,110,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
They could also, if they chose to, use it to lower the maintenance tax rate or the usage fees.
Mine used their share to pay for extra security.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Mine used their share to pay for extra security.
Yes, this revenue is not nearly as restricted as the MUD property tax as far as allowed uses.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:49 PM
bu2

24,119 posts, read 14,913,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Atlanta is not suffering (quite the opposite!) and the cities you named had bigger issues than being boxed in. Detroit is also on the rebound due to urban renewal. There are much more examples of boxed in major cities that are prosperous. And even then, Houston wouldn't be entirely boxed in and instead more like Dallas.

For your link, it may stop Houston's push at annexation but it still leaves millions of people in limbo. The county is stretched too thin to provide adequate services. It also doesn't stop the tax dollars that are spent locally being spread around inefficiently. There are things that cities can do that MUDs, ISDs, and the county simply can't. Let the residents vote and see what they want.
I live in Atlanta now. It was struggling although its doing fine now. It still hasn't reached its 1960 population peak.

And the chopping up of the metro leads to enormous dysfunction on regional issues.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:53 PM

2,191 posts, read 3,222,768 times
Yep, Cobb county and Fulton county for example

Also. You don’t want the suburbs to get too powerful as they’ll begin to get involved in competing for facilities and driving the cost up

Imagine Cypress offering land and incentives for a new football stadium if they complain at NRG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston