Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2019, 07:01 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,410,575 times

Advertisements

Yes I understand that gentrification means that white people are moving into neighborhoods that were traditionally Black neighborhoods. Can we please leave RACE out of the equation? There are plenty of middle class blacks moving to the suburbs and nobody is making a big deal out of that. I seriously am starting to think that whites are more accepting of blacks than the reverse.
MLK had a dream. Now let's live it together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 08:22 AM

2,188 posts, read 3,215,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Yes I understand that gentrification means that white people are moving into neighborhoods that were traditionally Black neighborhoods. Can we please leave RACE out of the equation? There are plenty of middle class blacks moving to the suburbs and nobody is making a big deal out of that. I seriously am starting to think that whites are more accepting of blacks than the reverse.
MLK had a dream. Now let's live it together.
their just laying their heads down at night. Not really involving themselves in the community. Their not in the local public schools, churches, etc.

Old 11-15-2019, 11:38 AM

58 posts, read 42,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
their just laying their heads down at night. Not really involving themselves in the community. Their not in the local public schools, churches, etc.

Exactly they send their kids to private schools or find loopholes in the zoning rules to send their kids to public schools outside the area like falsifying their addresses.

They have little to no stake in the community despite living in the neighborhood. They simply see the black community there as a necessary burden to put up with in exchange for the prime location and cheap prices.

Last edited by JYHTOWN; 11-15-2019 at 01:00 PM..

Old 11-15-2019, 12:27 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,724,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
What? Only white nationalists can be capitalists?

Do you know Karl Marx was a white guy?
To your first question, anecdotally I've worked at least two low paying jobs in my life where the boss specifically stated that he would not hire a black person. That's one way that you have racism in a capitalist economy, yes. But there are others just as damaging and these involve the exploitation of the labor of the vulnerable. Black people and other minorities are the most vulnerable members of our society, so they get more exploited.

To your second question, I was aware of Marx's whiteness. But saying that capitalism is racist doesn't mean that anyone who counters or challenges it has to be a person of color. I think your logic there might be flawed.

Beyond these questions, you should start with an examination of the rise of industrial capitalism in conjunction with an examination of the development of colonialism in western Europe. If you did that, you would see how colonialism and industrialization are linked to the rise of racism in the west. When you need cheap or slave labor, you also tend to rethink your ethics. If you can find a way to tell yourself that other races are inferior, bingo! You have the labor supply you need (and their natural resources to boot) and you don't have to feel bad about it because you also develop a theory of your own superiority. Capitalism and racism are absolutely linked.

Old 11-15-2019, 01:29 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,933,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYHTOWN View Post
Exactly they send their kids to private schools or find loopholes in the zoning rules to send their kids to public schools outside the area like falsifying their addresses.

They have little to no stake in the community despite living in the neighborhood. They simply see the black community there as a necessary burden to put up with in exchange for the prime location and cheap prices.
While I fully agree that being neighborly and involved in your local community can be desirable from a societal benefits standpoint, there should be zero obligation for a public regulatory role to require that a new resident in any community participate culturally in a neighborhood. Areas like 3rd Ward and Montrose that whine about this all the time just have to grow up and understand that you don't get to choose who can live in, or buy in, your community. Places change. Period.

Now, if you want local government to enact assistance or incentive programs that might encourage existing residents or people of lower incomes to have more reasonable choices to remain or move to such neighborhoods, then there's a more possibilities to discuss. But those are carrots, not sticks or fences, which is what some folks seem to think should happen.

Old 11-15-2019, 01:36 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
While I fully agree that being neighborly and involved in your local community can be desirable from a societal benefits standpoint, there should be zero obligation for a public regulatory role to require that a new resident in any community participate culturally in a neighborhood. Areas like 3rd Ward and Montrose that whine about this all the time just have to grow up and understand that you don't get to choose who can live in, or buy in, your community. Places change. Period.

Now, if you want local government to enact assistance or incentive programs that might encourage existing residents or people of lower incomes to have more reasonable choices to remain or move to such neighborhoods, then there's a more possibilities to discuss. But those are carrots, not sticks or fences, which is what some folks seem to think should happen.
Do you really think anyone is proposing a law requiring you to go to church with your neighbors?

Old 11-15-2019, 03:25 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,933,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Do you really think anyone is proposing a law requiring you to go to church with your neighbors?
There's certainly people on this discussion board who are advocating the position that people shouldn't be allowed to move into certain neighborhoods unless they are participating in those neighborhoods' cultural traditions. Which is, of course, an invalid position in a just society.

Old 11-15-2019, 03:46 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
There's certainly people on this discussion board who are advocating the position that people shouldn't be allowed to move into certain neighborhoods unless they are participating in those neighborhoods' cultural traditions. Which is, of course, an invalid position in a just society.
That's a really bizarre reading of those posts. What I'm reading is, yes, gentrification is damaging to neighborhoods and the minorities who live there, because the people who move in aren't interested in being part of the community.

Old 11-15-2019, 04:11 PM

15,406 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYHTOWN View Post

HISD has school choice, which means your kids can go to any school in the district under certain conditions. A very large number of the kids going to Lamar and Bellaire come from the Third and Fifth Ward areas. My kid goes to a magnet school in the Third Ward, but we live in the Greater Heights area.

Old 11-15-2019, 07:42 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,265,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
What I'm reading is, yes, gentrification is damaging to neighborhoods and the minorities who live there, because the people who move in aren't interested in being part of the community.
Is that always the case?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston