Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,441 times

Advertisements

I am a young, black female fresh out of high school looking to go to the University of Houston this fall. I am from Dallas, born and raised all my life, and I thought that Houston would be a great place to relocate for a change of scenery. In the part of Dallas where I grew up it was considered the "hood" so I don't think that I would be in for a big surprise when I get down there but I was wondering what safety hazards would there be for me? I was originally planning to go to school there with my best friend but she recently got pregnant and decided to stay home instead of go to school, so I would be going down there all on my own and that kind of concerned me as well as my mother and father. I have been to the campus and enjoyed it very much! I love the heat, being a Texas girl i don't feel like it's anything I can't handle, but I was just wanting to know what else to expect!

I can't wait to get there..any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 02:19 PM

108 posts, read 172,369 times
I have lived in Houston and Dallas and the are very similar. I would say to just have common sense. Don't go out wandering the streets around campus at night alone. During the day it should be fine. I would advocate living on campus, as I think it gives you a better college experience, as a lot of the people who go to UH commute there, so living on campus would let you get to know other students in the same boat and age bracket as you. The campus is also very close to downtown, midtown, and the museum district to give you lots to do in a short drive.

Good luck!

Old 04-13-2010, 03:42 PM

28 posts, read 44,191 times
Can't be worse than Cincinnati.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:02 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,059,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonNTheRearViewMirror View Post
When you learn to read, please see my original post about why I am still here. I have been to the places you mentioned. There are so many more beautiful areas in other states, with more comfortable weather and less pollution and fewer illegals. You and the illegals can stay in this cesspool called Houston, and I won't miss you.
Wow, seem like where ever you move you seem to find all the reasons to complain. Either that, or you have bad karma and the hate follows you.

From your post about moving to Colorado:
I finally moved to Widefield last Friday (7/13/07), and will begin my teaching job next month. In the 4 days I've been here:
1. Someone paintballed my brother's car;
2. Someone threw a lighted firecracker at my dog, and burned his back;
3. Neighbors are unhelpful and unfriendly;
4. The walking path has obscene drawings on it.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:12 PM

912 posts, read 2,560,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Love View Post
Wow, seem like where ever you move you seem to find all the reasons to complain. Either that, or you have bad karma and the hate follows you.

From your post about moving to Colorado:
I finally moved to Widefield last Friday (7/13/07), and will begin my teaching job next month. In the 4 days I've been here:
1. Someone paintballed my brother's car;
2. Someone threw a lighted firecracker at my dog, and burned his back;
3. Neighbors are unhelpful and unfriendly;
4. The walking path has obscene drawings on it.
Flog that dead horse!

Old 04-13-2010, 09:50 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,825,404 times
Yes sir! LOL!

Old 04-13-2010, 09:58 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,610,567 times
This is the coolest thread from 2006 ever.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:17 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,825,404 times
Lol!

Old 04-13-2010, 10:48 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,662,423 times
What is with these old threads being revived?

Old 04-14-2010, 01:00 AM

734 posts, read 1,083,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar4Life View Post
I am a young, black female fresh out of high school looking to go to the University of Houston this fall. I am from Dallas, born and raised all my life, and I thought that Houston would be a great place to relocate for a change of scenery. In the part of Dallas where I grew up it was considered the "hood" so I don't think that I would be in for a big surprise when I get down there but I was wondering what safety hazards would there be for me? I was originally planning to go to school there with my best friend but she recently got pregnant and decided to stay home instead of go to school, so I would be going down there all on my own and that kind of concerned me as well as my mother and father. I have been to the campus and enjoyed it very much! I love the heat, being a Texas girl i don't feel like it's anything I can't handle, but I was just wanting to know what else to expect!

I can't wait to get there..any tips?
Bless your soul!

UH is in the middle of the 'hood so I am not sure how much of a change of scenery that would be...

I am assuming you would be living on campus. First thing I am going to ask you is will you have a car?????

Living on campus at UH is a very peculiar experience because the vast majority of people live at home and commute. Chances are all the friends you make will be residents on campus... but they have mixers and get-togethers so you make friends.... but dont be alarmed when the campus goes dead after 8....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston