Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2018, 01:31 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,220,049 times

Advertisements

I'll be going to Houston for a wedding in mid-November. I was curious about what the weather would be like then. I'm from the DC area where it usually cools down and while I'm assuming Houston will be warmer than DC in November, you know what they say about assuming...so I wanted to get feedback from the locals regarding what to expect. Will it be cooler and rainier? Or will there still be some warmth? Additionally, would Galveston be worth going to during that time? I don't plan on swimming in the water, but I was curious about visiting that town if I have the time.

Also, the wedding venue is in Sugar Land, but I'll be staying in Greenway Plaza because I wanted to be closer to Downtown (the wedding is on Sunday, so I won't have to worry too much about traffic). I'm still trying to get my itinerary together regarding places to eat (I plan to hit up Turkey Leg Hut and Breakfast Klub for sure), particularly seafood. I want some fried crawfish, but I'm sure they'll be out of season by then. So I'm open to suggestions on that. We do crabs well here, but I haven't had much cajun/creole style seafood since I left the South years ago.

Also, I want to go to a few museums. I've been to the Menil before, as well as MFA-Houston, so I'm all ears for suggestions. I plan to go to The Health Museum and the HMAAC if I have the time.

Sorry for all the questions, but it's been awhile since I've visited Houston and I'm excited to see the growth and changes that have happened. Yes, there will be things related to the wedding I must attend (besides the wedding itself), but I made sure I booked enough days to explore the city and what it has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 01:43 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,809,398 times
First real cold front comes around Halloween.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:47 PM

650 posts, read 450,638 times
Typically the weather is pretty mild, with highs in the low 70s and lows in the low 50s. Expect anything from just 35F to 85F though, as the coldest lows and highest highs are around there. Rain happens during the month around an average of 8 days or so. November is also pretty good as it is no longer muggy during that time of year.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:40 PM

447 posts, read 488,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
First real cold front comes around Halloween.
Usually, I sweat like crazy under some stupid costume.:-)

OP, November is beautiful, but you really can expect anything, all the way to 80's. I guess in low 30's in November is little out there lol, but possible.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:01 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,693,426 times
Just bring a wind breaker and you'll be fine. You'll be in and out of your car and buildings and not spending a lot of time outdoors. Don't wear wool! Just wear cotton or cotton/poly blends and short sleeves are fine. If you need to, you can layer up with a sweat shirt under your wind breaker (with a hood). If it rains, you're now covered. !!

Old 09-14-2018, 06:38 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Usually not too hot, rarely cold enough for anything heavy to wear, and at worst dreary or rainy. It's the end of the tropical season, but rather than a named storm it typically just makes it to the coast in the form of the sort of disorganized tropical/subtropical rains like we've had every day this week. It tends to be one of the less eventful months on the weather front. Freezes are very rare and I don't think I've ever seen ice or snow in November down here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces
You'll be in and out of your car and buildings and not spending a lot of time outdoors.
Pretty much. Houston life is pretty much built around this. It has is upsides and down.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:47 PM

860 posts, read 1,586,050 times
What to see...the Houston Museum of Natural Science (plus its live butterfly exhibit) has great temporary shows as well as permanent presentations. Same with Houston Museum of Fine Arts. Both are constantly evolving. Also consider the Holocaust Museum. If the weather is warm, you might want to go to the zoo (it's good) and picnic in adjacent Hermann Park. As it gets close to the dates you'll be here, check Houston events calendars online for concerts, theater offerings, sports, etc.

Galveston has quite a few restored 19th C. commercial buildings, shops and homes. It's a good place to eat all kinds of fresh Gulf seafood...ask your Houston friends for recommendations. Moody Gardens Festival of Lights opens in November. Galveston has its annual Dickens on the Strand festival Nov. 30 - Dec. 2.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:49 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
If I had to describe November weather to somebody from Missouri (where I moved from)
I would tell them that is like Missouri in September

Old 09-15-2018, 04:10 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,966 times
Try BB's for tex/cajun seafood. The Breakfast Klub also opened its new place near Minute Maid called Kulture. Levy Park in Greenway is a popular spot on a pretty day. Lots of food trucks and usually some activities like yoga or pilates.
You should visit Discovery Green and Market Square Downtown. Depending on when you will be here, there are several downtown festivals in November like Viva Colori.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston