Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 09:17 PM

279 posts, read 1,163,732 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I'm considering a move to either Austin or Houston. I'm going to be a teacher and Houston rates high and not that far off from NJ.
I've visited Austin and absolutely love the area. I love the hills and greenery in Austin plus the lakes and mountains. Its not dry and dusty. There's plenty of shopping and things to do. Its alot like NJ. However, I don't know anything about Houston. What kind of people are there nationality wise. I like how Austin is so diverse. What's the scenery like in Houston? Is it flat, dusty, dry and boring? Are there mountains and lakes and greenery and hills? Is it gay friendly as Austin is? Not that i'm a raving queen but i'd like to know there is a gay community there with things to do and places to go. If you could list me some of the negative and positive things you like and dislike, this would help me a great deal before I get a chance to visit for myself. Thank you everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 11:50 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Houston is just as green as Austin. If not a little more (because it gets more rainfall). There are no hills, but there are lots of little waterways, a bay, and beaches an hour's drive away. It is much more diverse and international than Austin. It is also much larger... remember Houston is the nation's 4th largest city after NYC, L.A., Chicago. That size difference and availability of big-city amenities is going to be the largest contrast between Houston and Austin.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:29 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Austin's culture is, to a large extent, more left-leaning (read: lots of hippies) and people in Austin are probably greener (politically) and more health-conscious as a whole. Teachers make more money in Houston and we enjoy a lower cost of living, but young people from out of state seem to gravitate more towards Austin. If you do not have friends in either place, Austin will probably be an easier place to meet people and I base that statement on the premise that there will be more transplants who are looking to meet new people and the youth culture is more centered around the (generally) laid-back nightlife. They like it there. They like to boogey. Houston's downtown nightlife, to me, seems predicated on making the most overt public display of success, affluence and frosted tips possible, no matter what the cost. But being from Jersey, you are probably accustomed to the guidos.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:13 PM

Default thanks for those responses

I'm guessing if I can make more in Houston and still have the great homes i'm staying there. I can always visit Austin if I want. Thank you

Old 04-02-2008, 07:11 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Check out the thread on housing programs for teachers and police. You may be eligible for a great deal on a house in a designated "revitalization neighborhood" if you're feeling adventurous.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...re-if-you.html

Old 04-03-2008, 07:50 PM

i've been looking into realtor.com's housing options and I love the home in Houston for $200-$250K. Austin and the other communities outside have similiar homes.
So I guess you're saying people are friendlier in Austin then in Houston? Is it difficult to make friends in Houston? Houston and Richmond are two of my favorites. How's the weather and is it gay friendly? For a first year teacher starting out do you have any idea what the salary is? I'm so excited to leave NJ. Its so expensive here.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:27 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
I haven't lived in the Houston area for very long but I think the people here are extremely friendly. I live in Sugar Land and there are plenty of trees and parks in many of the established neighborhoods. Sugar Land is extremely diverse...the elementary school information is published in 7 languages. No mountains, for sure, and not really any hills like Austin...Houston is known for being flat. I don't know whether Houston is considered gay friendly but it is such a huge city, there have to be a decent number of tolerant people here, along with some intolerant ones, to be sure. I think the housing prices are a bit better in Houston than Austin and the weather is a bit more humid than in Austin.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:29 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,446,701 times
Houston is great, but Austin is better, as long as its Austin and not Round Rock. Flat as a pancake on the prairie. If you live in Round Rock, you might as well live in Sugar Land or Pearland.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:18 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
Houston is great, but Austin is better, as long as its Austin and not Round Rock. Flat as a pancake on the prairie. If you live in Round Rock, you might as well live in Sugar Land or Pearland.
How is Austin better? The only thing is Austin might be better looking but way too conservative for my taste.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:39 PM

799 posts, read 3,694,285 times
I believe people are nice everywhere if you are nice to them with the one exception of any line that says "customer service" then you can pretty much rule out friendliness. As for gay friendly, I am friendly to all gays that are friendly to me I love people in general and I believe most houstonians do.
I vote for houston in this austin vs. houston poll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston