Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 01:26 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,698,523 times

Advertisements

Another one that's free is Nextdoor. Just google it. It's neighbor to neighbor communication. It's great for sharing things like lost pets, water problems, recs for a dentist, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 08:43 PM

811 posts, read 1,559,274 times
We live just north of FM 1960. For a local vet, I have started going to Stuebner Airline Animal Hospital since my previous vet moved and have been very pleased with them. I take two of my normal (!) pets there. I also have a bulldog so I take him to Brittmore Animal Hosp near I-10 and the Beltway. These bulldogs really are a breed apart and Brittmore really knows their stuff.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:31 PM

29 posts, read 22,080 times
Hello kind people,

How is everyone coping after the storms? My good thoughts and wishes are with all of you.

I have a follow up question.

Does anyone have experience with the Texas A&M small animal hospital for routine care and specialty care, e.g. Cardiology, for a Dog?

I want to take my Dog there, I hear it is expensive compared to other full service vets, but is it really at par with the other good vets out there?

Do they really have some good equipment or is it pretty dated?

One of my concerns is that the Veterinarian attending to the Dog will be a student as opposed to a Veterinarian with years of experience...yet one pays top dollar.

What do you all feel?

Thank you
Cinnamon

Old 09-09-2017, 02:41 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,472,012 times
I dont have any experience with canine cardiology at Texas A&M but I did drive my dog from southwest Houston to A&M twice, two years apart, for two different cancer surgeries/treatments. In my opinion, A&M is the best place for any treatment of any dog. I didnt find it any more expensive -- in fact, it was less expensive in both cases -- than the specialty vets here in Houston. The equipment is updated, as it has to be when teaching future veterinarians. The young A&M students love the animals there and your dog will get so much more attention than he would anywhere else.

And it could be coincidence (but maybe not) that my one dog who underwent cancer surgery twice there survived both cancer surgeries and lived for many more years than did my other two dogs who had cancer surgery here in Houston.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:34 PM

155 posts, read 150,050 times
Yes, definitely go to A&M if that is a convenient option for you. I wouldn't hesitate. We used their small animal clinic to address some aggression problems with a rescue. I know other people who have had their dogs there for various surgeries, etc. and were pleased.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:54 AM

811 posts, read 1,559,274 times
My son took his elderly Lab to A&M on the recommendation of his vet for a spinal problem. He had to wait nearly 3 months for an appointment but they gave a detailed diagnosis plus suggested a treatment plan for his dog and he is still plodding along today. It is one of the top veterinary schools and I wouldn't hesitate to take one of mine there.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:51 AM

84 posts, read 111,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamonspice View Post
Hello kind people,

How is everyone coping after the storms? My good thoughts and wishes are with all of you.

I have a follow up question.

Does anyone have experience with the Texas A&M small animal hospital for routine care and specialty care, e.g. Cardiology, for a Dog?

I want to take my Dog there, I hear it is expensive compared to other full service vets, but is it really at par with the other good vets out there?

Do they really have some good equipment or is it pretty dated?

One of my concerns is that the Veterinarian attending to the Dog will be a student as opposed to a Veterinarian with years of experience...yet one pays top dollar.

What do you all feel?

Thank you
Cinnamon
Here's the thing- going to a teaching hospital means no continuity of care- the students are supervised, so you will get good medicine, but you and your pet won't develop a relationship, because in 3-6 weeks they're on a new rotation. They are wonderful for specialty medicine- but not a practical solution for those minor things like diarrhea, vomiting, itchy skin. I say this as a LVT that worked at both day practices and a major university hospital.

You say you're in North Houston- what major highways are you near? I still work in the field and have contacts at MANY veterinarians- let me know.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:54 AM

29 posts, read 22,080 times
Hello @3dogsnokids thank you so much for your offer to help. I will send you a private message with my location and sincerely appreciate any recommendations you have.

If you happen to be a practitioner then of course I could request to become your client.

Please do check your private message.

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston