Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2017, 08:36 AM

43 posts, read 49,644 times

Advertisements

Is this a good time to plant flowers in Houston? if it is, what kind of flowers I should plant for backyard (not as intense sun light) and front yard (lots of sun)? By the way, I want to get perennials so I don't have to plant new ones every year. What kind of flowers would you suggest? Also, when is the best time of the year to buy flowers?Also, how do you get good deals on flowers? Do you have any favorite spot? What about using seeds? Did you have any luck with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 09:01 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,357,577 times
For full sun annuals, it may be on the late side since many flowering annuals struggle in Houston's summer heat, and will require more diligent watering, and earlier planting in order to establish itself before the heat sets in. Houston's summer weather is not kind to popular cooler-weather annuals such as petunias and impatients, unless it's the more heat-tolerant bred ones such as the wave petunias. Geraniums are popular here, as are vincas (which is more heat tolerant).

You will find some flowering plants that would be annuals in colder climes, can become perennials here in Houston (vincas, and some others whose names escape me) - a nice surprise.

Check out a local flora website or native Texas plants book for other good suggestions on what does well here, and which you would prefer.

I plant my 'perennials' in the very early Spring (Feb) or late fall (Nov). My chrysanthemums flower at least twice a year, provided I cut it down to the base after the blooms have died.

Most perennials have very short and limited flowering seasons, something to be aware of if you are looking for long-lasting flowering plants. But a good one would be rose bushes sold for the Houston climate. You can find that in any garden center. And Gold Mound Lantana is both locally popular and does well here; it grows like a weed in my yard.

Buchanan's sells a lot of native Texas plants, and may offer more informed suggestions.

Last edited by mingna; 05-23-2017 at 09:35 AM..

Old 05-24-2017, 08:15 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,691,015 times
My thought is visit any plant nursery and ask for help. Check their specials. If you feel comfortable with the advice then you can find cheaper prices at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, or Lowe's.

You can plant anytime in the Houston area. The trick is making sure the soil is watered and prepared. Our area has a lot of clay in the soil so it needs to be broken up with potting soil. Again, ask your nursery after digging in your flower bed / yard to figure out if you have clay or sand.

** Successful plants I've had in my yard

**Begonias do well in shade and I've had some last 3 years with mild winters.
I'm not sure what size plants you're looking for.
**Ornamental Grasses do well and don't require a lot of water.
Knock out roses - More maintenance with fungus and fertilizing.
**Ferns do really well and I had a neighbor mow hers up and they came back.
I personally love Spiraea - Bridal Wreath but it only blooms in the spring. No maintenance required and doesn't need a lot of watering.
Purple sage. Another low watering plant with lavender blooms after it rains. It can be cut back quite a bit and still do well and I have some going on 9 years.
**Mexican Heather. This stuff is year round and offshoots keep popping up.
**Mexican Petunia / Ruellia simplex -- Grows so easy and is like bamboo - Spreads everywhere and is so hardy.
**Bougainvillea - Gorgeous flowers and does well but OH the thorns.
One tip is check the zone map for where you live and then line up what type of plants to look for. Be aware the smaller containers or 8 packs / 4 packs are cheaper than the gallon types. And don't forget to mulch once you plant. Plant, mulch, and keep watered.

OH. For a change of pace, **rosemary grows really well in the shade and it smells so good. You can alternate spice plants in with your flowers and come out a winner. I've had purple sage in one bed and it reseeded all over the place.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:16 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,691,015 times
This is a gorgeous nursery:
Cornelius Nursery | Houston | Texas

Old 05-24-2017, 08:44 PM

154 posts, read 149,044 times
I've had begonias last for more than five years, and even come back after freezing to the ground. Even in a hard freeze, our freeze line is probably only a couple of millimeters deep, and all but real tropicals will survive, even though they may freeze to the ground. I agree with Mexican petunia, but it really does spread, and will shoot seeds and sprout everywhere.

Lantana does very well (and will spread!), as do pentas.

Encore azaleas will bloom three or four times a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston