Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2017, 09:48 PM

6 posts, read 13,284 times

Advertisements

I am a 21 year old guy who started a successful online marketing start up company that is worth over $1 million and am planning to get an office in Houston where I'm going to be hiring a sales force and starting an office in Houston because of the opportunities and access to a diverse job market of employees. I have managed my finances pretty well, have no debt, over $100k liquid in the bank and plan on renting a condo/ apartment in the Uptown Houston area not so far from Galleria. Really like the area because it is upscale, urban, but not overwhelmingly crowded and still feels cozy and quiet.

I have a company that helps business owners market their company/business online.

I am looking for good places to mingle with the rich and wealthy in Houston...what places or locations do they go to and where are good areas to interact and network with them?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 10:21 PM

569 posts, read 1,078,252 times
One idea-
Look for charity events where you can make a difference while getting your name out there. For example, I know of some who are or have been involved with Bering Omega Community Services. Every year they have their big charity event. One year (don't know if this is a tradition or not) they had a Toga Party, a huge fundraising hit.
Bering Omega Community Services

Old 05-23-2017, 08:25 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,705,861 times
Wealthy Houstonian's would spit you out and eat you for lunch. But hey, if you brag about that $100k in your bank account it just might win them over.

Hate to break it to you but the wealthy crowd here doesn't spend much time mingling at public hot spots, it used to happen but now private country clubs, jr. league, fraternity/sorority alum events, private golf tournaments, company festivities for the executives only, private galas & neighborhood parties are where they socialize. You can't get into that bubble based on the info you provided.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:30 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
Wealthy Houstonian's would spit you out and eat you for lunch. But hey, if you brag about that $100k in your bank account it just might win them over.

Hate to break it to you but the wealthy crowd here doesn't spend much time mingling at public hot spots, it used to happen but now private country clubs, jr. league, fraternity/sorority alum events, private golf tournaments, company festivities for the executives only, private galas & neighborhood parties are where they socialize. You can't get into that bubble based on the info you provided.
He's 21 with more going for him than most posters on this forum.
He's hustling and anyone can appreciate someone who hustles.

Op, join a country club. Lots of networking opportunities. Meanwhile, develop your golf and tennis skills and have a good time.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:20 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,705,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
He's 21 with more going for him than most posters on this forum.
He's hustling and anyone can appreciate someone who hustles.

Op, join a country club. Lots of networking opportunities. Meanwhile, develop your golf and tennis skills and have a good time.
Hard to believe you'd defend this guy after his other posts! You're pretty much the only person in his corner, 95% of people commenting in his other threads have called him out for being a troll and an all around creep.

Oh he's hustling alright. Lol, guess you didn't read his other thread where he asks where he can meet hot Latinas? or calling grown women "girls"? or bragging about being an up and coming millionaire? or revealing his 'impressive' liquid cash?

And to suggest he can just join a country club where wealthy people are members is misleading. He'd have to spend half of his life savings (literally) for the initiation fee alone. Plus, he can't just pay and gain membership (the good/wealthy clubs anyway), he'd have to be invited.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:21 AM

11,065 posts, read 7,139,669 times
Maybe you should come to Houston first, check it out, and see if it's something your ego can handle. Then after all of that's finished, see if you still want to move forward with your plans. Texans can easily sort out the braggarts, wannabees, and posers from those with the "real stuff". In case you missed it, people are extremely real here. This isn't a TV show.

Thinking your cool shyte or the greatest thing since the can opener doesn't mean that you'll go over as a king. Natives get sick of people full of themselves. They'll show you to the door, but it won't be a sign of courtesy.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 05-23-2017 at 10:30 AM..

Old 05-23-2017, 09:38 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,790,319 times
You won't fit in here. LA or Orange County might be a better fit. Or if you're dead-set on Texas, try Dallas.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:36 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,005,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Maybe you should come to Houston first, check it out, and see if it's something your ego can handle. Then after all of that's finished, see if you still want to move forward with your plans. Texans can easily sort out the braggarts, wannabees, and posers from those with the "real stuff". In case you missed it, people are extremely real here. This isn't a TV show.

Thinking your cool shyte or the greatest thing since the can opener doesn't mean that you'll go over as a king. Natives also get sick of people full of themselves. They'll show you to the door, but it won't be a sign of courtesy.
I am going to use this opportunity to shift the OPs strange topic to something that I've noticed about Houstonians that you brought up in this post. I've noticed that Houstonians HATE a braggart, guys who want to show off and such. I've always liked that about Houston but at the same time I think it can also be done to a fault.

I think Houstonians can also be a bit of a hater-ish bunch. They have this "you think you're better than me? you're not better than me" attitude, even if the person is better than them in every which way. If someone has a lot of confidence and couples it with success, I notice they get uncomfortable and have this desire to bring them down a peg. They can't just let it go that someone has them beat at life. I don't understand this insistence to try and "humble" people.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:22 AM

860 posts, read 1,584,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post

Thinking your cool shyte or the greatest thing since the can opener doesn't mean that you'll go over as a king. Natives get sick of people full of themselves. They'll show you to the door, but it won't be a sign of courtesy.
This is the truth, but will the OP believe it?

Old 05-23-2017, 11:44 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,005,598 times
Let him find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston