Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 11:29 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,887,878 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I made a trip to Sugar Land from Austin. I exited 290 and got on 99 south (Grand Parkway). Traffic between 290 and I-10 was surprising since that area isn't heavily developed yet, but it wasn't really bad traffic. But, when I got to I-10, I ended up in a 5 mile long traffic jam. It was both northbound and southbound. I've seen very heavy traffic in that area on my traffic app many times. Eventually I got out of the jam as I got closer to Sugar Land on 99.

What experiences have Cinco Ranch residents had with traffic on 99?

The other thing that was surprising was that the area of 99 through Cinco Ranch was strewn with litter and debris. Toll roads are normally kept spotless because of the revenues generated from the tolls. Is that part of 99 always trashy or was it maybe a lapse in cleanup by the toll authority or TxDOT (not sure who does the cleanups there).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 05:17 AM

226 posts, read 306,943 times
That area of 99 has been logged jam before the Grand Parkway was completed up to 290 (any beyond, both directions). It has more to do with the explosion of the Katy area and the fact that there are no service roads for that section. Trash is probably something isolated since I don't recall seeing that section messy most days. And I don't know the legality of it, but I am not 100% sure that un-tolled section is governed (or maintained) by the toll authority, so it would be TxDOT.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:59 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,300,434 times
Traffic on grand pkway between westpark toll way and I-10 is horrible even on weekends. I try to avoid that route but occasionally I get stuck in between. Never seen trash or debris on that toll road. Might have been an isolated incident

Old 05-15-2017, 09:36 AM

16 posts, read 29,826 times
There was a pretty bad accident yesterday involving a pickup full of garbage. I imagine you passed by before they had managed to completely clear the debris. Traffic is always awful at 99 and I10 but that should be expected with the population explosion in Katy.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:19 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,209,086 times
Isolated incident. I run up and down 99 in that area all of the time and have never noticed any trash.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:52 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,824,272 times
Traffic between I-10 and 1093 sucks all the time. So much room in the middle to expand and add lanes..... lets go!!!!

Old 05-16-2017, 05:44 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,241,184 times
I drive that road twice a week (commute from Brenham to Houston and back). I rarely run into heavy traffic unless it's...wait for it... rush hour. I drove it last Wednesday at noon, and Sunday at 11am. Neither time had traffic.

If I mismanage my departure time and hit the road at 4pm, yeah there's traffic. Just like every other freeway in Houston. But usually I try to drive mid-day, and only have a problem if there's an accident. I usually check traffic before I leave and if there is a problem on 99, I'll take Sam Houston up to 290, instead of 99.

Litter? It's one of the cleanest freeways in Houston. Amazingly clean. Maybe it was that accident Nakika mentioned.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:05 AM

5,618 posts, read 4,953,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I drive that road twice a week (commute from Brenham to Houston and back). I rarely run into heavy traffic unless it's...wait for it... rush hour. I drove it last Wednesday at noon, and Sunday at 11am. Neither time had traffic.

If I mismanage my departure time and hit the road at 4pm, yeah there's traffic. Just like every other freeway in Houston. But usually I try to drive mid-day, and only have a problem if there's an accident. I usually check traffic before I leave and if there is a problem on 99, I'll take Sam Houston up to 290, instead of 99.

Litter? It's one of the cleanest freeways in Houston. Amazingly clean. Maybe it was that accident Nakika mentioned.
I've been stuck in traffic on 99 on Saturday before. Saturdays in the suburbs have a different traffic pattern than closer in town. People need to quit driving their kids to all these silly special athletic leagues, I think that's a big chunk of it.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:01 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,241,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
I've been stuck in traffic on 99 on Saturday before. Saturdays in the suburbs have a different traffic pattern than closer in town. People need to quit driving their kids to all these silly special athletic leagues, I think that's a big chunk of it.
That makes sense. Soccer mom traffic jams!

I'm lucky I almost never have a Saturday commute.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:27 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,887,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakika View Post
There was a pretty bad accident yesterday involving a pickup full of garbage. I imagine you passed by before they had managed to completely clear the debris. Traffic is always awful at 99 and I10 but that should be expected with the population explosion in Katy.
The trash and debris was along about a five-mile stretch, so it wouldn't have been from a single accident. Someone else mentioned that it's an un-tolled stretch, which I didn't know. That means TxDOT is responsible. I know that anywhere TxDOT is responsible, trash and debris aren't cleaned up very often any more. That applies all over Texas. A staff member at TxDOT told me that it's because of continuing budget cuts, year after year. We used to have clean highways when the Don't Mess with Texas campaign was so strong, but even that campaign has now fizzled. Our current legislature has little or no interest in this issue, so look for our highways to get messier and messier, and that would include 99 through Cinco Ranch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston