Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these subdivisions are easy sell
Cinco ranch original - older but nicer 4 28.57%
Grand Lakes - older but nicer 4 28.57%
Seven Meadows 2 14.29%
Cinco Ranch - North West - New Construction 4 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 02:22 PM

156 posts, read 284,830 times

Advertisements

I would second being closer in as far as appreciation goes.

It's possible with such a short time span they may corporate relocation. If so then the numbers are different as the company pays realtor fees, closing costs, has buy back programs or offers a bonus for selling it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 06:07 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,704,565 times
The further in you are in Houston, the more traffic you deal with each day. A simple trip to the grocery store isn't so simple anymore.

The further in you go you deal with Harris County and taxes. Stuff to think about.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:07 PM

214 posts, read 309,170 times
The 400+ market in Katy is slllllooooowwww. I would get a house in the lower 300s in old Cinco Ranch (i.e. Near Peek and Westheimer ) with a pool. You'll have no trouble selling in a few years and you can something pretty nice and updated for ~330K in the heart of Katyland.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:00 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,236,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo2000 View Post
The 400+ market in Katy is slllllooooowwww. I would get a house in the lower 300s in old Cinco Ranch (i.e. Near Peek and Westheimer ) with a pool. You'll have no trouble selling in a few years and you can something pretty nice and updated for ~330K in the heart of Katyland.
I agree with this. That price range will move quicker - and "old" Cinco is popular. ("Old" is relative). Schools are good and the commute (if applicable) to the energy corridor shorter.

On new construction - if you possibly need to sell in 2 years - your competition will include brand new construction. Not a good idea.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:00 AM

5,647 posts, read 4,992,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
The further in you are in Houston, the more traffic you deal with each day. A simple trip to the grocery store isn't so simple anymore.

The further in you go you deal with Harris County and taxes. Stuff to think about.
Property taxes in Houston are usually lower than in newer MPCs in the suburbs, because MUD taxes are relatively high. Older MUDs may have lower taxes.

I've found Saturday traffic in the outlying suburbs to be a far bigger nightmare than in Houston. Mason Road in Katy on a Saturday? Avoid. The Grand Parkway too.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:19 AM

8 posts, read 13,502 times
Default Schools

Our primary reason to moving to Katy is because I will have a high schooler and middle schooler. We are relocating through work with commute. My sons plays competitive tennis so we would like to be commutable distance to a tennis academy. In terms or priorities it is:

1. School
2. Commute to energy corridor or tennis academy (have not identified one yet)
3. Not really looking for appreciation, just want to make sure we don't loose money.

Thanks for all the feedback. We really appreciate it.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:55 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,028,687 times
The best way to limit your financial exposure is cut your budget in half, or consider the best neighborhoods zoned to Taylor High. Kelliwood, Green Trails. Buying a house with a pool is also a good idea. Maybe find a home with plantation shutters. That's another feature that doesn't increase value of a home but does help it move faster, similar to but on a smaller scale to a pool.

Losing money for you (in 2 years) will have a lot more to do with transactional costs as opposed to price fluctuation. 6% of a $600k home is $36k. It's basically impossible for a suburban Katy home to increase in value enough to offset that selling cost in 2 years. You will lose money. 6% of $400k is only $24k. I'd say that's impossible too, but maybe ever so slightly less impossible. Your real dollar loss will be less on the cheaper home, though.

I think the more I think through the numbers, you are probably better off renting, unless you get a home for well under market value.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:18 AM

87 posts, read 127,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
True.

We are in Museum district now and we have to plan our shopping/errands trips like a military incursion.

We are moving to the suburbs of Richmond and every time we go and look at our house being built, I almost get giddy realizing that HEB/Sam's/Walmart/Target are all within a 6 minute drive, on roads that don't look like a dried up river bed, with maybe 2 stop lights, and I won't have to plan the trip to avoid rush hour.

That's how I know I'm ready for the 'burbs, I get warm and fuzzy thinking about trips to Target, lol.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:44 AM

5,647 posts, read 4,992,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOrDead_YNWA View Post
True.

We are in Museum district now and we have to plan our shopping/errands trips like a military incursion.

We are moving to the suburbs of Richmond and every time we go and look at our house being built, I almost get giddy realizing that HEB/Sam's/Walmart/Target are all within a 6 minute drive, on roads that don't look like a dried up river bed, with maybe 2 stop lights, and I won't have to plan the trip to avoid rush hour.

That's how I know I'm ready for the 'burbs, I get warm and fuzzy thinking about trips to Target, lol.
See my comment above. On many outer suburban thoroughfares, it's no traffic paradise, especially Saturdays.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:18 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,704,565 times
Mason in Katy is always busy. I can't remember the last time I've been on it - I avoid it. There are other ways to get around traveling on it and ways to avoid the Grand Parkway/SH99. There are back roads.

Now with the tennis stuff -- Do your research on the schools and which school in Katy has a better program. Then move to the neighborhood you love and can live with for that school. Obviously I don't know anything about tennis locally. Maybe someone else does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: