Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 10:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,936 times

Advertisements

I want to buy a home($100,000-$125,000 range) I know it isn't too much but that is what I can afford at the moment. I would like to know of any good areas with nice houses for sale in my price range. I would like a community that is safe, clean, well maintained, and not too far from my school(UH-main campus and Clearlake), I am willing to make 30-50 min commute during rush hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 07:57 AM

8,899 posts, read 20,134,490 times
Based on your price range - you "might" find a home in one of the older sections of Clear Lake - Oakbrook, Camino South maybe. Wouldn't be a bad commute particularly if you are going between UHCL and main campus. If you can't find anything in that range - you might try Deer Park -- family community -- good schools - commute wouldn't be bad for either location.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:22 PM

7,555 posts, read 11,654,095 times
Check out Post Oak Manor & Westbury on the south west side right near the loop these area fit your needs. Stay away from Westbury South it is kinda ghetto with smaller junky houses

Old 03-08-2008, 06:19 PM

65 posts, read 357,703 times
go to har.com and do a search in your area. I'm sure you'll find something.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:47 AM

257 posts, read 990,850 times
Default finding a home

I would check on Friendswood and clear lake.In both sections you would have to find an older home.These areas are are safe to live in even in the cheapest areas.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:49 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,830,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Based on your price range - you "might" find a home in one of the older sections of Clear Lake - Oakbrook, Camino South maybe.

"Might" is definitely the keyword here. $140k would be an easier minimum to use and would open up a lot more options in Clear Lake's lower end. But there are a few generic, 40-something yr old houses in these neighborhoods in your price range. FYI, I think Oakbrook is actually ''Oakbrook West'' when you do an HAR.com search.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:07 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,234,100 times
I live in Heritage Park subdivision which is considered Friendswood. Houses in our neighborhood are selling for around that price range. Its a safe, friendly neighborhood, 5 minutes from the freeway and shopping. We have been very happy here.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:35 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,830,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
I live in Heritage Park subdivision which is considered Friendswood. Houses in our neighborhood are selling for around that price range. Its a safe, friendly neighborhood, 5 minutes from the freeway and shopping. We have been very happy here.

Ah yes, the old neighborhood. Forgot about that one. There's a section in Webster, too. These are those generic, all-electric, US Homes that popped up like crazy on the then-extreme fringes in the late 70s/early 80s. Pretty well built homes, though -- stood up to a good sized hurricane already ('83). Rental city. Traffic tends to get really, really tied up around all that Baybrook shopping on weekends, and on Pilgrims Point between El Dorado and Bay Area Blvd. Overall, nothing great to say about the area, but nothing bad either. You can get about 1700 sq ft for around $120k, and the house will probably need its fair share of work/maintenance.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:37 AM

257 posts, read 990,850 times
Default Homes

Heritage park is where i was thinking of .My wifes cousin lives there and works for Exxon and they like it.What i dont like about it is i get lost every time i go over there inside of that neighborhood!

Old 03-10-2008, 08:40 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,234,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Ah yes, the old neighborhood. Forgot about that one. There's a section in Webster, too. These are those generic, all-electric, US Homes that popped up like crazy on the then-extreme fringes in the late 70s/early 80s. Pretty well built homes, though -- stood up to a good sized hurricane already ('83). Rental city. Traffic tends to get really, really tied up around all that Baybrook shopping on weekends, and on Pilgrims Point between El Dorado and Bay Area Blvd. Overall, nothing great to say about the area, but nothing bad either. You can get about 1700 sq ft for around $120k, and the house will probably need its fair share of work/maintenance.
Traffic is icky by the mall but there are ways around it. We have found them. They are supposed to build a bridge on El Dorado heading into the newer subdivision behind the grade school. Hopefully that will help the traffic on Pilgrims Point some. As long as you aren't trying to drive down it during school arrival times, it isn't too bad. As for it being rental city, I am renting my house but the majority of the houses on our street have the original owners still living in them. Kinda nice having neighbors that like the community so much they have stayed for 20 some years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: