Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 03:17 PM

637 posts, read 3,237,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by borgertx View Post
Several of the homes we are watching in Walden are made of stucco. Thought stucco homes would be built in dryer areas. Would you be worried about these homes over time? What are your thoughts? Not long before we'll actually be coming down to buy. Thanks so much.
I would not advise getting a stucco home anywhere in South East Tx or anywhere else where it rains as much as it does here. They are fine for CA, AZ, NV, etc... where the barely get any rain and the air is always dry. For here where it's either raining or humid not so good. If your in doubt of this just call any home inspector or stucco inspector. Stucco repair will be a great business to be in shortly as most of the people moving from CA, FL etc.. are building these homes without any thought...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 07:50 PM

40 posts, read 203,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lake View Post
Everytime I asked a Lake Conroe resident about the Conroe Regional Medical Center, I got an answer like "Oh, we go to the Woodlands just down the freeway." or, "Our doctor is right over in Tomball..." I got the impression that there is no good medical care close to Lake Conroe, and that we would be going all the way downtown for anything important. And we got the impression that we should not have a doctor who would put us in Conroe Regional. Have we got the wrong picture?
A friend, who has been an L&D nurse for at least 20 years, has worked at hospitals in The Woodlands and Conroe. She's always told me to go to Conroe. I'd not be afraid to seek care there. I'll take her word for it, because she's truly been on the inside and has nothing to gain from recommending one over the other.

My doctor is in Conroe, and I'm perfectly satisfied with him. I know several people in The Woodlands who use an ophthalmologist in Conroe, because he is that good. I've had both good and bad experiences with doctors and dentists in The Woodlands and Conroe. It's probably like anywhere else in that respect.

The original hospital in The Woodlands had a horrible reputation until taken over by Memorial Hermann. The maternity ward (when I had my baby in the very early 1990s) wasn't really more than glorified birthing rooms. I was high-risk, so I had to have my child in Houston.

St. Luke's also has a hospital out there, so I can't imagine needing to go downtown unless something was extremely complicated.

Last edited by mariposa; 05-18-2008 at 08:01 PM..

Old 06-11-2008, 02:04 PM

14 posts, read 91,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Conroe resident View Post
There's no reason not to retire here and your right the fees and taxes are going to be less $ than the Woodlands not to mention a lot less traffic. We are getting a lot of new retail coming to the area including a new mall so there will really be no reason other than visiting your family to go to the Woodlands anymore. Walden is a very nice area where you can get a lot for your money as are many other subdivisions around the lake. You can enjoy the lake and play golf at the 12 or so courses we have within a 10 mile radius. Good luck and enjoy. Low crime, low traffic, low tax rate, safe neighborhoods, lake and golf = good place to retire.
We will be coming down next week to look at houses in Lake Conroe area. Will we have any problems getting into subdivisions (Walden, Del Lago, Bentwater, April Sound or Seven Coves) to drive around and look at houses? See a lot of houses on Browning St. in Walden for sale. Is that a good street to check out? Thanks!

Old 06-11-2008, 03:00 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,268,404 times
Quote:
We will be coming down next week to look at houses in Lake Conroe area. Will we have any problems getting into subdivisions (Walden, Del Lago, Bentwater, April Sound or Seven Coves) to drive around and look at houses? See a lot of houses on Browning St. in Walden for sale. Is that a good street to check out? Thanks!
When we did a scouting trip last month, some of the neighborhoods were gated. The guards would not let us throught to view a listed house without a realtor. So try to incorporate this into your plans. Have fun.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:40 PM

14 posts, read 91,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Conroe resident View Post
There's no reason not to retire here and your right the fees and taxes are going to be less $ than the Woodlands not to mention a lot less traffic. We are getting a lot of new retail coming to the area including a new mall so there will really be no reason other than visiting your family to go to the Woodlands anymore. Walden is a very nice area where you can get a lot for your money as are many other subdivisions around the lake. You can enjoy the lake and play golf at the 12 or so courses we have within a 10 mile radius. Good luck and enjoy. Low crime, low traffic, low tax rate, safe neighborhoods, lake and golf = good place to retire.
To live in any of these subdivisions, do you have to join the country club? In an e-mail from a realtor on a house in April Sound, he stated that it was mandatory that one join the country club. It was a group of houses that had high monthly fees and the requirement about the country club. Hope all of the subdivisions don't have that requirement.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:34 PM

[quote=borgertx;4084950]To live in any of these subdivisions, do you have to join the country club? In an e-mail from a realtor on a house in April Sound, he stated that it was mandatory that one join the country club. It was a group of houses that had high monthly fees and the requirement about the country club. Hope all of the subdivisions don't have that requirement.[/quote]
In answer to this question as well as the previous; most of the subdivisions are gated though Walden, Del Lago and Seven Coves are not. April Sound has a 24 hour patrolled security with a manned gate so no entry ( I live in AS) Bentwater is the same way no entry as well as some of the smaller subdivisions like Point Aquarius, South Shore, Cliffs, Grand Harbor, Blue Heron Bay, Riverstone, Pelican Bay, too many to list all gated. Walden has mandatory HOA fees of 840 per year while April Sound you pay 142 per quarter to the POA and another 56 per mo to the Country Club, and yes it is mandatory ( it gives you access to the pools, fitness club, marina, restaurant, boat launch etc...

Old 06-14-2008, 08:40 PM

[quote=borgertx;4069209]We will be coming down next week to look at houses in Lake Conroe area. Will we have any problems getting into subdivisions (Walden, Del Lago, Bentwater, April Sound or Seven Coves) to drive around and look at houses? See a lot of houses on Browning St. in Walden for sale. Is that a good street to check out? Thanks![/quote]
No problem driving around Walden; Browning is a good street though it's kind of a main street to get to some of the less busy ones, not bad though. Don't get a place on Walden Rd or one that backs up to it as it's getting busier every year and only going to get worse with the road noise and traffic etc... 6000 lots in Walden total though some are owned by adjoining homes

Old 07-31-2008, 11:38 AM

2 posts, read 22,235 times
When considering moving to Lake Conroe, check our issues with each Property Owners Association first. For example, noise ordinance, regualtions on building, etc. I can tell all first hand, Walden has a very weak association. They tackle small issues, not the big ones.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:41 AM

2 posts, read 22,235 times
I have heard April Sound has heavy deed restrictions and enforces them. Walden tackles small issues.

Has anyone had any issues concerning SJRA regulations on builing a boat deck on Lake Conroe? Does anyone know what restrictions the property owenrs association has in Bentwater and April Sound?

Old 07-31-2008, 09:26 PM

[quote=princessdeonthelake;4678285]
Has anyone had any issues concerning SJRA regulations on builing a boat deck on Lake Conroe? Does anyone know what restrictions the property owenrs association has in Bentwater and April Sound. Yes to both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston