Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 08:06 PM

105 posts, read 144,589 times

Advertisements

I've had Sprint for somewhere around 16 years. As any Sprint user can attest, Sprint is, well, Sprint. For the last 10 years I've been on their SERO plan- $50/mo., unlimited data and text, 450 minutes/month. When they offered the two-year contract upgrade, this was a fairly decent deal. Now with them pushing the lease/finance option, it's no longer so great.

My general hesitation on switching to T-Mobile has been the concern of signal penetration into buildings/structures due to the spectrum they operate on. Who has had both services in Houston, and which do you prefer and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 05:51 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,453,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin84 View Post
I've had Sprint for somewhere around 16 years. As any Sprint user can attest, Sprint is, well, Sprint. For the last 10 years I've been on their SERO plan- $50/mo., unlimited data and text, 450 minutes/month. When they offered the two-year contract upgrade, this was a fairly decent deal. Now with them pushing the lease/finance option, it's no longer so great.

My general hesitation on switching to T-Mobile has been the concern of signal penetration into buildings/structures due to the spectrum they operate on. Who has had both services in Houston, and which do you prefer and why?
Never had sprint but recently changed to T-Mobile after 12 years of getting reamed by ATT. I do lose the signal more often while indoors especially if it's a large office type building.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:15 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,813,408 times
I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile a couple of years back. Their signal penetration into buildings is noticeably worse than Verizon, BUT it has improved considerably over the past year.

T-Mobile will also offer you your choice of a 4G LTE signal booster, a 4G LTE "microtower" for connection to your high-speed internet, or a high-end Asus wifi router (for use with wifi calling), in order to boost the signal in your house. I've tried all three, in that order. The wifi router is outstanding, both for calls and for blanketing our 4500 sq ft house with consistent wifi throughout.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:06 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,315,362 times
Default T-Mobile to Sprint

I went the other way, from T-Mobile to Sprint, and I can say I had better coverage with T-Mobile.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:20 AM

8,898 posts, read 20,062,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin84 View Post

My office is in the spring area and the t mobile users really complain about no signal inside the building. They often go outside to make their calls.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:52 AM

340 posts, read 804,866 times
I have had AT&T for the last 15 years or so, still grandfathered in to the unlimited data package.

I've been debating changing lately because I feel like we just pay too much for what we are getting. I have two phone lines and this is our package:

550 shared anytime minutes with rollover
1000 text messages
unlimited data
$140 month

Now our signal in our house is horrible also so we have a Microcell booster that works amazingly. When it goes offline I typically have one bar inside my house and 4G instead of LTE.

I've seen T-mobile is doing a plan with all unlimited for $40 a line, so that would only be $80 for me which is a considerable savings each month.

Do they provide the cell booster equipment for free or do you have to buy it?

Also I am in the Katy area, anyone care to share is signal is better or worse in Katy?

Thanks!

Old 04-24-2017, 08:22 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,813,408 times
They provide one of the aforementioned three signal enhancement devices for free.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:00 PM

105 posts, read 144,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
They provide one of the aforementioned three signal enhancement devices for free.
Huge benefit for when you're at home (and if your phone isn't equipped with WiFi calling or you don't have WiFi), but to be in an area where your service is otherwise great outdoors only to have your phone become all but unusable when you go inside seems rough.

That's one thing I do like about Sprint- their Tri-Band "Spark" service does quite well indoors.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:04 AM

345 posts, read 806,865 times
Try Boost (Sprint) for $30- autopay for unlimited data, text, talk until 4GB. I've been with them for 3 years (with a S3). And I've been with TMobile for almost a year and I regret signing with them. My S3 has better volume and has better flashlight than the S6 Edge. Newer is not better, my regret is not the phone, but service and customer service. At standstill, I can never get reception in my car at UH, I have to use my Boost to surf the net. Only if I'm moving do I get reception with TMobile. CSR flat out lies to you, they only want to help you if you are paying more, or getting more service. If you complain about reception, or change to a smaller plan, they will not help unless you cancel. At one time, one guy was trying to force me to quit TMobile. I only use my Boost as my main (biking-music, or business), I only use TMo for emergency or extra-curricular activity ..................... joke

Old 04-26-2017, 05:02 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,453,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trele6 View Post
I have had AT&T for the last 15 years or so, still grandfathered in to the unlimited data package.

I've been debating changing lately because I feel like we just pay too much for what we are getting. I have two phone lines and this is our package:

550 shared anytime minutes with rollover
1000 text messages
unlimited data
$140 month

Now our signal in our house is horrible also so we have a Microcell booster that works amazingly. When it goes offline I typically have one bar inside my house and 4G instead of LTE.

I've seen T-mobile is doing a plan with all unlimited for $40 a line, so that would only be $80 for me which is a considerable savings each month.

Do they provide the cell booster equipment for free or do you have to buy it?

Also I am in the Katy area, anyone care to share is signal is better or worse in Katy?

Thanks!
Even though T-Mobile is not as good indoors ditch ATT. I had the exact same plan as you. They always screwed me when traveling abroad even though I would buy their passport feature. T-Mobile is free international data and text to most countries you would care to travel into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston