Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2017, 05:08 AM

4 posts, read 4,766 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband and I will be moving to Houston in June so that I can attend UH grad school. We are considering Pearland and have a few questions.

First, do you think the commute from Pearland to zip code 77004 is tolerable? We are both from southern California originally, and consider 45 minutes commute on the freeways normal. But I'd rather cut down on that as much as possible. I googled estimated drive time, and it's around 25 minutes. If you have any suggestions other than Pearland, we'd greatly appreciate it! Max rental budget is $1200, so we would love some neighborhood and apartment suggestions.

Second, we are debating between renting a U-Haul 15 ft truck to load up our 1 br apartment and drive across the country from Newark, NJ to Houston, or just hire a company like Pods. Is the drive doable w/in 5 days? No kids and no pets, so we're not concerned about the type of hotels. I'm just worried that our truck will get broken into, and we may not be able to enjoy our pit stops like a regular road trip. Husband is dreading the drive.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 11:31 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyshinythings916 View Post
Hi all,

My husband and I will be moving to Houston in June so that I can attend UH grad school. We are considering Pearland and have a few questions.

First, do you think the commute from Pearland to zip code 77004 is tolerable? We are both from southern California originally, and consider 45 minutes commute on the freeways normal. But I'd rather cut down on that as much as possible. I googled estimated drive time, and it's around 25 minutes. If you have any suggestions other than Pearland, we'd greatly appreciate it! Max rental budget is $1200, so we would love some neighborhood and apartment suggestions.

Second, we are debating between renting a U-Haul 15 ft truck to load up our 1 br apartment and drive across the country from Newark, NJ to Houston, or just hire a company like Pods. Is the drive doable w/in 5 days? No kids and no pets, so we're not concerned about the type of hotels. I'm just worried that our truck will get broken into, and we may not be able to enjoy our pit stops like a regular road trip. Husband is dreading the drive.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Pearland is doable in 25 minutes without traffic. You may want to look at places closer to the U of H campus like Eado or even some of the new housing projects near the campus itself.

Pedestrian Friendly UH Housing Development Coming Up

Old 03-30-2017, 11:34 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,663,212 times
We used to live in NJ (Highland Park), and you can totally make the drive in 5 days. 3 even. When we moved to TX (but from Ohio, with a baby and a cat) we drove. And it was fun. Enjoy and welcome to TX!

Old 03-30-2017, 11:44 AM

672 posts, read 847,445 times
My wife and 2 kids (6 and 3 at the time), drove from NYC to Houston in 40 hours, with an overnight stop in Tennessee. 5 days would get you a lot of sightseeing time!

Old 03-30-2017, 11:47 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Any particular reason two young people with no kids are interested in living in Pearland (which is very suburban)? Nothing wrong with that choice, but most people in your demographic are looking for a more urban experience with access to bars, restaurants and other amenities. As suggested above EaDo would be a great consideration, as well as Midtown and others.

Just curious.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:42 PM

4 posts, read 4,766 times
Thank you everyone for your responses. The husband and I are in our mid-30's, so the urban (night) life is not as appealing as it used to be, and we plan on starting a family in a year or two . . . hence the preference for Pearland (and its good school district). But we will definitely look up the places everyone suggested, and we'll do the driving too. Thanks again!

Old 03-30-2017, 03:15 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyshinythings916 View Post
Thank you everyone for your responses. The husband and I are in our mid-30's, so the urban (night) life is not as appealing as it used to be, and we plan on starting a family in a year or two . . . hence the preference for Pearland (and its good school district). But we will definitely look up the places everyone suggested, and we'll do the driving too. Thanks again!
Ah, okay. Well, in that case, I would think Pearland is, indeed, a pretty good location proximity wise to UH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston