Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 12:10 PM

22 posts, read 22,096 times

Advertisements

my SO unexpectedly matched into UTHealth for her residency which means I get the pleasure of coming with. I'm currently browsing through the forums but figured I'd help clutter it with a post asking for advice...

Any advice for us relocaters? areas to live in? she wants to be within 10 mins of the hospital. Is there a primary area (like downtown) that has the bulk of corporate jobs? I'm in the finance industry so I'm going from the holy grail to a market I have no idea about. Any high lvl 101 guidance is appreciated, if not, I'm sure I'll end up finding some similar threads as I browse.

JSA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 12:18 PM

986 posts, read 1,272,017 times
Well this is a stupid question, especially coming from a former UTHealth employee, but I get a pardon since I was nonmedical staff: which hospital are you referring to (I also get a pardon for bad grammar because it's the interwebs)? To be within 10 minutes, assuming that includes parking, you are going to have to live within a mile. That is good and bad -- it will help limit your search so that you aren't overwhelmed by options, but you aren't going to love the suggestions, I'm afraid.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:32 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,971 times
Not knowing where YOU will be located makes relocation a bit more of a challenge, for sure. I'm in accounting, and I think it's safe to say that *generally* the bulk of corporate finance will be downtown or the Galleria area. There will be quite a bit in the suburbs and energy corridor (I-10 West generally around Sam Houston Tollway interchange) as well, but not as much as downtown/Galleria.

This assumes that your SO would be in the Medical Center, which they might not since the UT Health system has multiple locations.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:59 PM

apologies, after reading about 20 more threads I'm becoming more attuned to neighborhoods and set ups.

She's going to be a pediatric neurologist at the Children's hospital which I think is located right by Rice and the Houston Zoo. She's sent me a ton of condoish looking places so far (they kind of look like resorts) can't access my gmail at work and haven't went for my daily 45 minute bathroom break.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:24 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,733,169 times
A lot of residents/fellows live at Gables Upper Kirby:

https://www.apartments.com/gables-up...on-tx/8z3py10/

That's also not a bad commute to both Galleria area or downtown for you.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:08 AM

2 posts, read 5,087 times
hmm... if you'll want to be near the TX Med Ctr, I would recommend somewhere near NRG Stadium- maybe just west of it around the Braeswood area- you'll be near the metro rail which may be a good option for her and you'll be near the freeway for your own commute- plus you'll have some lifestyle perks like the hike & bike trail near by and all the fun city stuff of living inside the loop.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:19 AM

Thanks for the input! This forum has helped ease the stress.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:50 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,018,609 times
It depends on what type of finance you are doing. If you work for a bank or PE you'll be in downtown, if you are in corporate finance you could be anywhere in the city.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:10 AM

I'm doing institutional client analytics for an asset manager now. I haven't been able to find anything similar and don't expect to unfortunately. I may explore E&P and see if my skills can translate to any open positions, a broker or hedger of some sorts. We had a 3% chance of matching in Houston versus a 90% in NYC (going by her school's previous published match vs rank rates). This board has been a great help though, best google search result to date (G-rated).

Old 03-22-2017, 09:33 AM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,872,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSA2422 View Post
I'm doing institutional client analytics for an asset manager now. I haven't been able to find anything similar and don't expect to unfortunately. I may explore E&P and see if my skills can translate to any open positions, a broker or hedger of some sorts. We had a 3% chance of matching in Houston versus a 90% in NYC (going by her school's previous published match vs rank rates). This board has been a great help though, best google search result to date (G-rated).
There are a few of those. Kanaly Trust is one of the more prominent ones. Oil & gas could have similar needs.

There are a lot of condos/townhomes in the area south of the medical center, in midtown between downtown and the Texas Medical Center as well as a few in the West U. area, just west of the Texas Medical Center.

Jobs are scattered all over. The biggest employment districts, however, are Downtown, Texas Medical Center (there may be jobs for you there), Galleria/Uptown and Greenway Plaza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: