Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2017, 10:42 AM

84 posts, read 147,814 times

Advertisements

Is there much difference in the neighborhood feel of these areas? Researching apartment complexes in Montrose near Richmond Ave, and in Midtown/Downtown mostly north of Elgin. Is Richmond Ave still considered Montrose or is it now Museum District? Apartment is for a 24 year old, with a car and a commute to the Laporte/Baytown area. Ive read some of the older discussions here and am getting a feel for the area.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 10:55 AM

242 posts, read 240,333 times
Richmond is Montrose.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:06 PM

403 posts, read 463,008 times
I would say Richmond is Midtown but it doesn't matter because that location puts you walking distance from both Montrose and the Museum district.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:09 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,812,463 times
Midtown is more like a collection of nice mid rise apartments. Montrose has much more of a neighborhood feel.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:16 PM

190 posts, read 212,244 times
The Museum District is an ambiguous term. Technically anything within a mile and a half of Mecom Fountain is considered the Museum District and that includes part of what people call Montrose, from the Menil and south of that. But commonly people only think of the Museum District as the area south of 59 (69.) Richmond turns into Wheeler as you moved into Midtown. There is some difference in nieghborhood feel, Midtown is less residential, more racous and the people living there tend to be younger. Montrose has some quiet spots, but also has lot of restaurants and bars within walking distance. The Museum Distrcit is primarily residential. But, like Double L said, these are all really sections of the same neighborhood and it's easy to get between them.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:15 PM

9,915 posts, read 6,628,378 times
Extremely huge difference. Midtown is just a bunch of nicer apartments with closer proximity to downtown, also a lot of office space. It feels similar to being Downtown.

Montrose is a neighborhood within the Lower Westheimer neighborhood/district, which is one of the hippest neighborhoods there is.

Montrose has gays and hipsters, Lower Westheimer has professionals that enjoy the near Downtown proximity.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:53 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,887,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Extremely huge difference. Midtown is just a bunch of nicer apartments with closer proximity to downtown, also a lot of office space. It feels similar to being Downtown.

Montrose is a neighborhood within the Lower Westheimer neighborhood/district, which is one of the hippest neighborhoods there is.

Montrose has gays and hipsters, Lower Westheimer has professionals that enjoy the near Downtown proximity.
Most gay people I know are college educated professionals who live all over Houston. There was a time when Montrose was predominantly gay, but my understanding is that this is no longer true. It's a big mix of people, correct?

I don't know much about hipsters, so can't comment on that.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:01 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,282,094 times
Default It all depends, and is relative...

Midtown = Bars/restaurants and apartments with lots of 20-30 year old residents.
Montrose = Restaurants/Bars and apartments and homes with 20-90 year old residents.

Notice the order of bars and restaurants.

Midtown is closer to downtown. Montrose is closer to culture and parks.

Either place is good, but it depends on what you are looking for. If you want more of an urban lifestyle close to bars, restaurants, parks, museums, then Montrose is probably best (culture). Midtown is also urban, but mostly focused on social activities, not so much culture.

Then there are the areas of Montrose, it is like four corners. Some areas are far removed from the LGBT scene, mostly residential. Then there is that part of Montrose which is what Montrose if known for. I happen to live in East Montrose, which is next to Midtown, very convenient to the rail line, museums, restaurants, and medical center. I am probably being biased, but I think East Montrose is the best for the Bohemian/old Montrose feel and close to all that Midtown offers, as well as the food and cultural scenes. It is also probably the best for walking and easy access to Buffalo Bayou park.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:06 AM

9,915 posts, read 6,628,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
Most gay people I know are college educated professionals who live all over Houston. There was a time when Montrose was predominantly gay, but my understanding is that this is no longer true. It's a big mix of people, correct?

I don't know much about hipsters, so can't comment on that.
Well, it depends on your definition of Montrose. Montrose is a smaller neighborhood than most people think it is, which is North of Westheimer and between Dunylave and Midtown/Downtown. This neighborhood is still the heart of the gay community in Houston. Like most gayborhoods in America (i.e. Chelsea, New York; Boystown, Chicago and even Castro, SF), Montrose is not as predominately gay as it once was, but it is still extremely gay friendly and there are plenty of gay flags flying.

But the confusion between Montrose and Lower Westheimer is the thing. Montrose is only one area of Lower Westheimer. The rest of Lower Westheimer is just a hipster and artsy area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston