Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 09:19 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,916,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcycledoppelganger View Post
Removing all the ones which are already under contract leaves 33 properties, which I admit is more than I was expecting. Several are immediately discountable (either in Del Webb - a retirement community) or in undesirable areas (several rebuilds from last year's flooding)

Most of the rest are in the neighborhoods I mentioned above, but there are a couple in Bonbrook, which is one of my favorite neighborhoods around here, and Summer Lakes which is also very nice! I'm surprised to see them on this list. I suspect they'll be gone VERY fast.
Valid points - I didn't go through and comb through the results. Mostly I did a quick search to confirm you can still find value in the $150-200k range, albeit with a careful eye.

There are a few homes from that search that are zoned to Foster HS or Fulshear HS that would be worth looking into at that price point (more so Foster HS, if the idea is to be closer to the 59 corridor.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 09:21 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,916,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
You can find some good options in Meadows Place, which will be really close to your work and truly excellent schools K-12.

Here's one that option pending that looks amazing right around your budget. Might find something similar.

11946 Brighton Ln, Meadows Place, TX 77477 - HAR.com
Second that opinion. Meadows Place is becoming an increasingly attractive value, given its proximity to both Sugar Land and Houston and still fairly affordable price points.

The only drawbacks are the homes are mostly older stock and the areas around Meadows Place are prone to street flooding. Neither of these would be deal breakers if I was looking in this area, but always something to consider. Conversely, the newer homes farther out have better drainage and are newer (could be a pro/con depending upon your tastes and opinion on builder quality over the years.)

Old 03-01-2017, 02:32 PM

9 posts, read 8,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexas2010 View Post
Second that opinion. Meadows Place is becoming an increasingly attractive value, given its proximity to both Sugar Land and Houston and still fairly affordable price points.

The only drawbacks are the homes are mostly older stock and the areas around Meadows Place are prone to street flooding. Neither of these would be deal breakers if I was looking in this area, but always something to consider. Conversely, the newer homes farther out have better drainage and are newer (could be a pro/con depending upon your tastes and opinion on builder quality over the years.)
Honestly, only things I really care about in a home is that it be near decent schools, I don't have to do a lot of work and that I can get AT&T Fiber (Optional but very high on the want list).

Old 03-01-2017, 04:32 PM

74 posts, read 86,133 times
IMO nearly all of the schools in areas you're looking at are of good quality. Some are fancier than others, for sure, and there are lots of opinions around about who's better than whom, but in the end I think there are only a few schools in the areas you're considering that I wouldn't go with, and they're largely concentrated in the much lower (even than what you and I are seeking) income areas.

*realizing now I'm only speaking for elementary, I don't know anything about the middle / high schools beyond reputation

Old 03-01-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcycledoppelganger View Post
IMO nearly all of the schools in areas you're looking at are of good quality. Some are fancier than others, for sure, and there are lots of opinions around about who's better than whom, but in the end I think there are only a few schools in the areas you're considering that I wouldn't go with, and they're largely concentrated in the much lower (even than what you and I are seeking) income areas.

*realizing now I'm only speaking for elementary, I don't know anything about the middle / high schools beyond reputation
You're totally correct. Elementary schools seem to be at least decent across the board...but when it comes to middle and even more so high school..seems those vary a bit more.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:27 AM

392 posts, read 317,428 times
Keep in mind about homes in the $200k range. They are targeted by investors with cash offers. If it's a nice home zoned to good schools, you may be paying full asking price.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:44 AM

74 posts, read 86,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarlandbubba View Post
Keep in mind about homes in the $200k range. They are targeted by investors with cash offers. If it's a nice home zoned to good schools, you may be paying full asking price.
You'll definitely be paying over asking price. Every offer we placed was above asking, each time we lost out to a cash/investor offer for even more above ask than we'd gone.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:44 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,298,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarlandbubba View Post
I have seen this happen often in good Sugarland zoned school zones, not much in Katy and Richmond. The taxes & HOA fees are too high for an investor to do this in those areas since the asking price is already inflated (eats up the cash flow). Most of the investors are looking for foreclosures or below market value sale price for rental or flipping.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:14 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,693,426 times
Just make sure you do your homework on flooding, homeowners insurance costs, tax rate, HOA, and all those little things that really add up like water districts. The best advice I can give is go drive around after a heavy rain and see if there's any flooding where you want to buy. A good tip is walk around the home and see if the brick close to the foundation is colored with a flood line -- Or if it's just sprinkler damage.

Meadows Place was mentioned - That's in Stafford. It looks like a good area and close to shopping and medical.

I do know Katy is out of the Hurricane strike zone - No need to evacuate. I don't know about Stafford. I do know Sugarland was impacted by Hurricane Ike with many downed limbs. Power outages were everywhere. Stuff to think about.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:53 PM

Seems the home I am looking at is zoned to B F Terry High School instead of George Ranch. Anyone know if transfers are allowed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston