Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 07:37 AM

102 posts, read 132,150 times

Advertisements

Custom home builds in Houston are at an all-time high in price per sq ft. If this is your dream home for the next few decades, then enjoy it to the fullest. Otherwise this is a bad time investment wise to build a custom home. Cost is at a major premium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 06:18 AM
ipq

1 posts, read 3,439 times
Default Id like to know more - how can i get in touch

I am also looking to build a house with design and lot ready now. Pricing is biggest challenge. Nothing crazy designed but i will abandon if price goes aboce $140 so looking for ideas to execute at best.

[QUOTE=Texascrude;49591308]I posted earlier about our experience with Built Green Custom Homes, but we are now about a month from finishing and I still can't say enough good things about the program. It's more work than a full service builder, but at your price point I'd guess you'll save over $100k by using them and get a degree of customization that wouldn't be possible with anyone else.

Happy to talk to you about the process if you're interested or want to hear more.[/quote]

Old 05-06-2018, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,114 times
Default Green built and coaching programs??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
I posted earlier about our experience with Built Green Custom Homes, but we are now about a month from finishing and I still can't say enough good things about the program. It's more work than a full service builder, but at your price point I'd guess you'll save over $100k by using them and get a degree of customization that wouldn't be possible with anyone else.

Happy to talk to you about the process if you're interested or want to hear more.

Hi TexasCrude,
Thanks for sharing your experience with Built Green Custom Homes. We want to do a build, we have lots of contractors mostly related to rahab of various levels form apartments we own, framing up. What we lack is understanding the process of building, what's need in terms of things like surveys, certificates, grading, utility requirements, and all that stuff along with permits, etc. Did they help you with those things or did they mostly connect you with contracts that handled all that? Were they a true teacher or a connection and conduit to subs so that you could eliminate a GC?

For $120/ft (I realize last year), was this a plain, uncut lot? Sounds like a subdivision so things like water connections to the main line etc were probably already done (baked into lot price)? We are looking outside of a subdivision, so I'm wondering if Built Green coaches through these mysteries as well.

I found you post really valuable. Thank you for posting!
I tried to send you a direct message, but as a new user it wasn't letting me for some reason.

If anyone knows of similar coaching programs please reply.

Thanks,
Pat

Old 07-24-2018, 12:10 PM

86 posts, read 116,818 times
I am also beginning the process here. Happy to share notes with other who are also interested.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,711 times
Hi I am in the process of building a home with Built Green .. could you please email me at [email]gopinallamothu@gmail.com[/email].. and would like to have guidance from you about the construction.
Also for $120/sqft did it include tile roof too?

Quote:
I don't know what your budget is, but if you're looking to save some money in the process I'd highly recommend giving Built Green Custom Homes a look. It's an owner-builder program, where you essentially serve as the general contractor on your home and they provide you with the tools and resources to enable you to do it successfully. It's a big program and they do over 100 houses a year in Houston and have been here for a long time. They even offer free building classes every month that cover various topics. In fact, they had one tonight on "Lot Prep / foundations" that talked about the work that goes into clearing a site, building the pad, doing soil test, understanding the different types of foundations and why you'd choose one over the other, etc.

My wife and I are using them to build a custom home in Benders Landing (currently being framed) and plan to come in at around $530k all in. That includes their assistance fee (~$5 per square foot), custom architecture plans, lot clearing / site prep, dirt brought in to raise the pad site, septic, sprinklers, big drive way, permits, etc, etc. Our home is about 4,400 square feet with most of that downstairs (which is more expensive). We also have about 400 square feet of covered porch space and a 1,000 square foot garage. Plenty of upgrades (2x6 frame, foam insulation, 2 tankless water heaters, 2 AC units to control a total of 4 zones / thermostats, custom built-on-site cabinets, kitchenette in the upstairs game room and one in the master bedroom, ~25% stone exterior, free standing tub, giant shower with about 100 different sprayers, outdoor shower, etc).

All in all, it takes us between 10 and 15 hours a week between the two of us to supervise the project this way, but it's probably going to save us over $150k by the time it's all said and done. We end up paying whatever the true cost of the items are -- there is no builder mark up, no list of what you can and can't do. If you're handy, you can do some of the work yourself to bring the price down even further (maybe do the interior painting, install the baseboard yourself, screw in the plumbing and electrical fixtures, do your own landscaping, etc.).

It's a bit of extra work and certainly isn't for everyone, but if you're at all interested feel free to shoot me a PM and either myself or my wife can give you a call and walk you through our experience so far. I'd even be happy to share our house plans and the 3d rendering the architect put together for us so you can get a look at what kind of house you can build for under $120 per square foot. I really can't recommend it enough -- it's been a great experience and has allowed us to build our dream house which wouldn't otherwise have been possible with our budget.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,310 times
Quote:
but if you're at all interested feel free to shoot me a PM and either myself or my wife can give you a call and walk you through our experience so far. I'd even be happy to share our house plans and the 3d rendering the architect put together for us so you can get a look at what kind of house you can build for under $120 per square foot. I really can't recommend it enough -- it's been a great experience and has allowed us to build our dream house which wouldn't otherwise have been possible with our budget.
I know it's two years old. But I'm hoping you are willing to help others. Sent you a PM.

Thanks

Old 04-26-2019, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,349 times
The price per sq ft depends on what is included. I talked to two builders, one includes lot prep and the other doesnt. I am deciding on a plan for about $450k house only, 3200sq ft.

I came from a background of living in the dump. 150 year old apartments in the northeast and a 1940 home here. When they show me the "average" stuff included in the price, I was happy. Some builders have promotions earlier this year since I guess demand slowed down a little.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:00 PM

979 posts, read 1,060,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHamm View Post
The price per sq ft depends on what is included. I talked to two builders, one includes lot prep and the other doesnt. I am deciding on a plan for about $450k house only, 3200sq ft.

I came from a background of living in the dump. 150 year old apartments in the northeast and a 1940 home here. When they show me the "average" stuff included in the price, I was happy. Some builders have promotions earlier this year since I guess demand slowed down a little.
Would it be possible to build the layout and exterior of the house you want under one construction contract first and then come back in and build out some of the interiors later? this is common in commercial building where you first build the core and shell and then come back and design parts you are ready.

I ask about this as it enables you to have one construction cost for the "core & shell". Then you could have another for some of the non "core and shell" finishes...upgrades, etc. This allows you to possibly pay for say, the kitchen cabinets under separate bucket of money, or loan, instead of tying to cost into a 30 year loan calculated upfront. Maybe you could even upgrade parts of the house, in cash, when you can.

You don't have to get it perfect all at once because that will drive the initial cost up and that in turn, drives up the interest you are paying on the total cost. ....Just a thought.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:25 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,328,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
Would it be possible to build the layout and exterior of the house you want under one construction contract first and then come back in and build out some of the interiors later? this is common in commercial building where you first build the core and shell and then come back and design parts you are ready.

I ask about this as it enables you to have one construction cost for the "core & shell". Then you could have another for some of the non "core and shell" finishes...upgrades, etc. This allows you to possibly pay for say, the kitchen cabinets under separate bucket of money, or loan, instead of tying to cost into a 30 year loan calculated upfront. Maybe you could even upgrade parts of the house, in cash, when you can.

You don't have to get it perfect all at once because that will drive the initial cost up and that in turn, drives up the interest you are paying on the total cost. ....Just a thought.
In theory, yes.... but practically speaking you'll never find a lender who will loan you six figures with no collateral other than the paint on the walls that are owned by another bank who you'd have to convince to give you money for a partially finished home that they couldn't sell for nearly what you owe them if you can't get financing to finish the project.

Old 09-02-2020, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 937 times
Quote:
I posted earlier about our experience with Built Green Custom Homes, but we are now about a month from finishing and I still can't say enough good things about the program. It's more work than a full service builder, but at your price point I'd guess you'll save over $100k by using them and get a degree of customization that wouldn't be possible with anyone else.

Happy to talk to you about the process if you're interested or want to hear more.
I would LOVE to hear about your experience! We are currently on the other side of 99 from you near 2920 and closing on our land soon in Magnolia (dobbin huffsmith/Hardin store rd)
I am extremely interested in Built green and their process so please fill me in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: