Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 12:59 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,228,562 times

Advertisements

look at it like this....more desired the school, more competition for things and being good doesn't help, you gotta be great

less desired the school, less competition and being just "good" offers more access and opportunities

I went to FBISD with the open class concept as some schools were configured for it while others weren't...didn't make much of a difference to me

if FBISD would've left the East End alone in the 90s it would've been just as strong but they meddled while overlooking the West End near 99 as they relied on Sugar Land to boost scores. Once they broke them from attending Sugar Land area schools and forced to stand on their own, it wasn't what they thought and miscalculated things as the West End was poorer than the East End.

now you got new growth in the West and trying to figure out how to shield them from the 4 Corners, etc. of the world is the latest problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 01:08 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,025,104 times
With your square footage and proximity to Missouri City needs, you should consider remodels in Westbury. You currently live in a townhome in the city so I gather you probably appreciate being close to the city in some fashion, so you can retain that by being in Westbury while getting a nice modern home that's closer to your in-laws than the 99 corridor. Your budget might have to be pushed a little but you'd probably make it up in monthly payments by a lower tax bill. Your budget probably puts you zoned to Anderson Elem but I think it might be a desired school by the time you need to use it.

The Westbury remodels look better than new construction in the burbs, TBH. And if you decide to move in 5 years it's much more likely that a Westbury home will appreciate than something new out where you are looking.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:39 PM

87 posts, read 126,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
With your square footage and proximity to Missouri City needs, you should consider remodels in Westbury. You currently live in a townhome in the city so I gather you probably appreciate being close to the city in some fashion, so you can retain that by being in Westbury while getting a nice modern home that's closer to your in-laws than the 99 corridor. Your budget might have to be pushed a little but you'd probably make it up in monthly payments by a lower tax bill. Your budget probably puts you zoned to Anderson Elem but I think it might be a desired school by the time you need to use it.

The Westbury remodels look better than new construction in the burbs, TBH. And if you decide to move in 5 years it's much more likely that a Westbury home will appreciate than something new out where you are looking.
We gave Westbury a look, our realtor actually lives there, as well as a couple other friends. But in our price range for what we need we it would be a unicorn. I like the remodels, but most of them in our price range were too small, and the ones that were the right size were above our budget comfort zone.

Our top end is a hard cap, wife is a freelance artist so her income is up and down, and non-existent when she is pregnant (which we plan to be again in the next 2 years). So my salary needs to be able to carry the cost comfortably for stretches at a time.

We are keeping our eyes open for Westbury, but I think the wife has her heart set on something shiny and new away from the city.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:21 PM

392 posts, read 318,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOrDead_YNWA View Post

The contenders:

1. Aliana, top of our price range for new builds, there are a few recent constructions in our range, but they all seem to be on the West Bellfort side of Aliana, is there something less desirable about this area? We drove through the new construction on the West Airport side and like it, but it's slim pickings in our price range.

2. Harvest Green, newest kid on the block. We did a drive through here also, wife love the agri-hood concept and there seem to be a few options in our range. Do they still have just Windstream for Internet? I work from home 90% so I would prefer Comcast/Xfinity, Windstream might be a deal breaker for me.

3. Long Meadow Farms, specifically the new section behind Palladium, i.expect. The Trace. Wife is in love with Highland homes over there, we walked a couple inventory homes of theirs and really liked their style. I also like a couple Calatlantic houses I've seen online, but haven't been inside one yet. Any opinion on these 2 builders in this community specifically? They seem to be building out, any current residents have any thoughts?

4. Grand Mission Estates, which as i understand is different from just "Grand Mission" as in the "Estates" are a tad more desirable? Pricing is the most cost effective, Highland is there so wife will be happy. But I am thinking the lower prices will be reflected in the community and thats it's not as well put together as the other 3?

Any thoughts or opinions from residents of these communities, or folks familiar would be appreciated. And also any insights into the new happenings along this stretch of 99, again alot of the old threads went cold around 2015.
1. Aliana around West Airport would be my top choice also.

2. I believe Harvest Green has Xfinity fiber now.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:04 PM

137 posts, read 257,988 times
Check your messages

Old 02-13-2017, 06:10 PM

137 posts, read 257,988 times
Have you looked into Fieldstone? It's a good neighborhood too and priced less than Aliana/HG/LMF but with better school zones than Grand Mission.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:23 PM

128 posts, read 216,106 times
OP:

Last year, we were pretty much in the same boat as you, and were looking at this area as well. Wife liked Harvest Green a lot for the same agri-hood concept, and Aliana is a very good neighborhood as well, but just like you, it was towards the top of our budget. We finally built a house in the east LMF (The Trace). In fact, we just closed on our house a month ago.

Even though we havent lived long in the community, we really liked it because of the quality of builders (Darling, Highland, J Patrick etc.), very friendly people (we met few families whenever we visited our construction site and they were all very pleasant), and also because you get to enjoy the same amenities on the mothership section of LMF - west of 99. By the way, we built with Highland as well.

I think you won't go wrong with either of these three - LMF, Aliana, HG; so pick whatever works for you and your family.
If you have any questions regarding LMF and/or Highland in particular, I will be happy to answer them.

Good Luck!

Old 02-13-2017, 07:12 PM

214 posts, read 308,413 times
I love LMF west of 99 for the mature trees/aesthetics. I think that you will get a similar look/feel in Harvest Green. If HG doesn't have good internet now, I bet you it will sooner than later--It's a Johnson development--how couldnt it right? If you were to choose to build, you wouldn't be moving in for ~ 6 - 9 months from now anyway (so it would be good to research internet services in HG). LMF east of 99 is too much in the Grand Mission area--nothing wrong with it, but nothing really differentiates it from the surrounding communities besides builder mix and marketing--and this stuff blurs away as communities get to build out and grow into each other (I.e who can tell where Cinco Ranch and Seven Meadows starts and stops).

Have you/anyone on the forum looked into the DR Horton community right off 99-- Windsor Estates? I drove by the other and it looks nice. It'll get you closer to Missouri City. What about River Park (or was that the one that flooded last year)? RP has good builders.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:23 PM

87 posts, read 149,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldmco View Post
Have you looked into Fieldstone? It's a good neighborhood too and priced less than Aliana/HG/LMF but with better school zones than Grand Mission.
My husband and I live in Fieldstone and love it! It's a smaller community than the MPCs you listed, but you'll find it's a bit more reasonable in price. You may miss the amenities that could draw you to Aliana. We have one pool and some trails. That's about it. Lots of young families here though (we don't have kids, so not us). Good luck!

Old 02-13-2017, 07:55 PM

142 posts, read 517,014 times
We lived in the Trace for over a year. Kids go to Adolphus/Foster. For pre-K, you have to go to Hubenak since Adolphus is K-5.
Overall, we love it better than the west 99 area since it's not too crowded on this side. They are building in sections further inside of the Trace. There are plenty of land left on the entrance so we are enjoying while it lasts.

Internet: Only ATT and Comcast. Entouch fiber does not service the Trace side, they only do the west 99 side.
I work from home and would love Entouch but will have to make do with Comcast.

How we ended up in our house was a happy accident but we are happy with this choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston