Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 07:16 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,504,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas retail updater View Post
I dribbled hot coffee down the front of my shirt hearing this. What is going on? Did anyone else hear this news about BP's relocation and its opinion that Denver will become the new global center for energy?
This would be a lot more credible if you would provide a link. I did read an article where they do call Denver an emerging energy hub, which it is, but there are many emerging and established energy hubs, just like there are many financial hubs outside of New York but nobody claims New York will become a secondary financial hub anytime soon. So even if BP did state this verbatim as you claim (which I doubt) BP is not the wizard of oil and gas to begin with, it would be just an opinion.

Last edited by Jack Lance; 12-15-2016 at 08:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 08:47 PM

254 posts, read 191,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
This would be a lot more credible if you would provide a link. I did read an article where they do call Denver an emerging energy hub, which it is, but there are many emerging and established energy hubs, just like there are many financial hubs outside of New York but nobody claims New York will become a secondary financial hub anytime soon. So even if BP did state this verbatim as you claim (which I doubt) BP is not the wizard of oil and gas to begin with, it would be just an opinion.
I heard this on the news. I don't agree that 200 top dogs moving out isn't a huge deal. Again, if ExxonMobile ever did decide to move its world headquarters from Irving to Spring Texas, that relocation too would involve about 200 people.

Of course, this is just the United States division.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
I heard this on the news. I don't agree that 200 top dogs moving out isn't a huge deal. Again, if ExxonMobile ever did decide to move its world headquarters from Irving to Spring Texas, that relocation too would involve about 200 people.

Of course, this is just the United States division.
BP's "World Headquarters" are in London not Houston to begin with.

Post the link, every tv station has a website, at least identify the station (not the imaginary one) a real one. You are doing nothing but spewing unsubstantiated gobeldegook .

Old 12-15-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
The price of oil will never be high enough for a sustained period to render the oil shale deposits of Colorado commercially viable.

This move is a bit strange, but maybe someone in BP thought employees were spending too much on travel up to Colorado and Wyoming.
Or maybe they just want to be closer to state regulators in Colorado's capital city who I'm sure will make it easier for a local company or division, than they would some out of staters

Last edited by Jack Lance; 12-15-2016 at 09:28 PM..

Old 12-15-2016, 09:08 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,261,700 times
Quote:

Post the link, every tv station has a website, at least identify the station (not the imaginary one) a real one. You are doing nothing but spewing unsubstantiated gobeldegook .
BP Relocating Onshore Division From Houston to Denver - ABC News

Not the headquarters, but it still means jobs are leaving Texas.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
BP Relocating Onshore Division From Houston to Denver - ABC News

Not the headquarters, but it still means jobs are leaving Texas.
I have seen those links all over the place. I was talking about a link where any credible BP spokesperson claims that Denver is going to be the global energy center like the OP claims. I know very well that the lower 48 division of BP is leaving.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:33 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,002,754 times
Let BP look like fools if they want. Denver will never be a global center energy. They've got software and banking and a few other things, but nothing really important.

The big losers are any poor souls who give up Houston for Denver to keep their jobs. Denver is overpriced, overhyped, filled with cold snooty people, and has no real depth or culture. It's also ridiculously cold much of the year. Denverites think they're God's gifts to humanity. They're also fake and superficial. Coloradans like to bash Texas and Texans too, so I have no respect for them. I can virtually guarantee that many or most of the those that move will end up hating both that city and BP. I've lived near Denver the past few years, and it has nothing on Houston. No, this isn't anything to get wowed about.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 12-15-2016 at 10:26 PM..

Old 12-15-2016, 10:58 PM

Quote:

I think you're right. The newscaster was probably being dramatic. Like I said, any transition of resources away from Houston, if that is the case, will take a number of years.

The long term concern is that, in gearing up for our nation's transition from being an importer of energy to that of an exporter of it, that a lot of energy business will decentralize away from Houston.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:21 PM

Quote:
I think you're right. The newscaster was probably being dramatic. Like I said, any transition of resources away from Houston, if that is the case, will take a number of years.

The long term concern is that, in gearing up for our nation's transition from being an importer of energy to that of an exporter of it, that a lot of energy business will decentralize away from Houston.
What station was it ?

The exporting of oil is only going to be feasible in certain situations, I doubt we will be producing over 18 million bbls of oil a day anytime soon.

Oil companies move around all the time. Occidental moved from LA to Houston a couple of years ago, American midstream Partners moved from Denver to Houston just this last summer http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/n...o-houston.html Devon moved all their operations from Houston to OKC back in 2012 and took 500 jobs with them and that obviously had no impact on how people perceive Houston's position in the energy sector. Devon Energy relocating to Oklahoma City, taking 500 Houston-area jobs with it | abc13.com So just chill with the sensational and inflammatory rhetoric OK?

Old 12-16-2016, 12:48 AM

Quote:
What station was it ?

The exporting of oil is only going to be feasible in certain situations, I doubt we will be producing over 18 million bbls of oil a day anytime soon.

Oil companies move around all the time. Occidental moved from LA to Houston a couple of years ago, American midstream Partners moved from Denver to Houston just this last summer http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/n...o-houston.html Devon moved all their operations from Houston to OKC back in 2012 and took 500 jobs with them and that obviously had no impact on how people perceive Houston's position in the energy sector. Devon Energy relocating to Oklahoma City, taking 500 Houston-area jobs with it | abc13.com So just chill with the sensational and inflammatory rhetoric OK?
When was the last time you heard of an energy company relocating away from Houston? Devon relocating wasn't the norm. If it happens again, I will bump this thread and we will talk about it. In other words, having more energy companies decentralize away from Houston in this new energy market is a real possibility. Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston