Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2008, 08:02 PM

34 posts, read 158,171 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I keep seeing all these posts about bugs!

What is Friendswood like? Roaches? Mosquitos? Fire Ants? What else?

How about League City?

Thanks!

-Arati
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 06:07 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,693,271 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/1689428-post3.html

Old 02-28-2008, 08:01 AM

257 posts, read 986,456 times
Default bugs

I live in Friendswood and bugs are here.What do you expect in a tropical invironment?I am not really bothered by any of them except fire ants which you can control in your own yard by yourself andro etc.Most snakes are harmless except for the rare rattle snake that i have come across in the woods.Snakes are here to control mice which is a good thing which most modern people dont understand.As far as for roaches they are here but are harmless and they will fly into the garage at night when you leave it open with the lights on.Just step on them and dont be a wimp.I have a large hog nose snake that has lived under a palm tree in my back yard and he comes out in evening looking for chow.I have never had a mouse in the house for years.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:22 PM

684 posts, read 2,109,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbucle View Post
I live in Friendswood and bugs are here.What do you expect in a tropical invironment?I am not really bothered by any of them except fire ants which you can control in your own yard by yourself andro etc.Most snakes are harmless except for the rare rattle snake that i have come across in the woods.Snakes are here to control mice which is a good thing which most modern people dont understand.As far as for roaches they are here but are harmless and they will fly into the garage at night when you leave it open with the lights on.Just step on them and dont be a wimp.I have a large hog nose snake that has lived under a palm tree in my back yard and he comes out in evening looking for chow.I have never had a mouse in the house for years.
What is a hog nose snake?????

Old 02-29-2008, 07:56 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,693,271 times
Hognose snake is one of the harmless kind that live around here.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:46 PM

14 posts, read 35,686 times
Friendswood and League City are right next to eachother, so it's all the same for both of them. Ants are not a huge problem. But there are lots of Texas sized cockroaches, and mosquitos will eat you alive practically year round (unless you are one of the fortunate people who mosquitos aren't attracted to and never get bit...which is rare). During the bad summer months city trucks drive through neighborhoods and spray large amounts of fogged pesticide into the air to kill off some of the mosquito population. It's really that bad.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:48 PM

14 posts, read 35,686 times
And as far as snakes go.....if your house backs up to a creek (like Clear Creek) expect to see water moccasins and copperheads. I have seen very, very large water moccasins when living near a creek.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,583 times
My house does back up to Clear Creek. Is there a certain time of year when the snakes are worse? I saw some last year but cannot remember exactly when it was.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:31 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,171,487 times
Snakes are worst when the creek's rising after a hard rain.

Ronnie

Old 09-16-2011, 02:32 PM

543 posts, read 1,386,725 times
I live in Clear Lake, next to Friendswood and I can vouch for the mosquitos. I have never had a time when I'm out and not get bitten by a mosquito within 15 minutes. This is whether on my yard or just simply walking on the street- day or night. I usually have a bite within 10 minutes of walking out of house. It is really that bad and it is my most pet peeve about Houston. All my kids attract mostquitos as well.
The mosquitoes are simply not attracted to my husband.

---------
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendswoodian View Post
Friendswood and League City are right next to eachother, so it's all the same for both of them. Ants are not a huge problem. But there are lots of Texas sized cockroaches, and mosquitos will eat you alive practically year round (unless you are one of the fortunate people who mosquitos aren't attracted to and never get bit...which is rare). During the bad summer months city trucks drive through neighborhoods and spray large amounts of fogged pesticide into the air to kill off some of the mosquito population. It's really that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston