Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 06:29 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmglab View Post
(I am sure the 'Cold Canadian' understands this too).

Now we have two Canary Islands. The Canary Island is considered by many the most magnificent palm on the earth. They are probably also the most expensive palm, but can be grown easily in zones 7-10. The major limiting factor for growing this palm is not soil or temperature. Not disease prone. The difficultly my friends is the astronomical price. This palm is so popular, easy to grow and crazy amazing in its full glory. Las Vegas has swallowed them all. I spent $400 for both of my Canary Islands. They are only babies at about 4-5 ft trunk tall. You can get smaller Canary Islands though for $100-300. They are worth it. Get them, grow them, wait.... they are slooowww growers (do not even think about growing them from seeds). One thing to consider with growing these monsters is that they get to be huge. You need at least a 20 sq ft. free growing area for them. Supposedly they do well in dry climates, however, I have noticed that they do extremely well in Houston and north of this city to zone 7b. The only reason there are not more around town is Nevada!
I'm a big fan of palms and quite a few other southern plants.

I just checked where the 8a/7b zone border is. Yep it's north of the city all right; maybe 20 miles south of Tyler in northeast TX.

Zone 7b goes all the way to north to Oklahoma passes through the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and heads to the southeastern corner of New Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 12:20 AM

84 posts, read 761,298 times
Default Ixora hardiness question?

I discovered Ixora when I was down in Mexico last year. I planted a lot of this summer and it did very well (red and orange) Does anyone in the Houston area know if this plant can tolerate a hard freeze. Is it like hibiscous that will freeze back and regrow?

Old 12-14-2006, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmglab View Post
I discovered Ixora when I was down in Mexico last year. I planted a lot of this summer and it did very well (red and orange) Does anyone in the Houston area know if this plant can tolerate a hard freeze. Is it like hibiscous that will freeze back and regrow?
It should be able to tolerate hard freeze. My Southern Living Gardening book tells me that it is hardy in their "Coastal South" zone, which means 8b/9a. Places I've seen in 8b have had records as low as 3 degrees F, but I imagine anything down to 10 F should be no problem.

They like fertile, well-drained acid soil and become "chlorotic" (unhealthy) in alkaline soil. Also subject to a host of insects and diseases so it's often difficult to keep healthy without constant vigilance.

On a different topic, what about avacados?

This book tells me that Mexican varieties are commercially grown in the lower Rio Grande valley and can handle 18 F.
Has anyone seen these grown in between Houston and Galveston?

Old 12-14-2006, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
sorry, I deleted my post because the one I quoted above was deleted. And I had to type something......
You must really hate avacados.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:51 PM

59 posts, read 315,561 times
I see established Ixora all over my neighborhood and it looks fine. I too fell in love with it down in Mexico. Just beautiful. It does better in full sun though.

Old 12-20-2006, 04:51 PM

19 posts, read 81,213 times
That Is So Awesome I Love The Tropical Feel Of Palm Trees Just In Case Anyone Wanted To Know Houstons Hardiness Zone Is 9a Which Is Great For Growing Almost Any Variety From Texas Sabels, Needles And Chinese

Old 12-20-2006, 04:53 PM

I've Even Seen Some Palms Growing As Far North As The Dallas/ Plano Area

Old 12-20-2006, 04:55 PM

Palm Trees Generally Grow Well In Regions In The 7b/8a Zone And Lower

Old 12-20-2006, 08:05 PM

84 posts, read 761,298 times
Default Very Hardy vs. moderatly Hardy Palms

Yes I agree. Several Palms can be grown in zone 7. Palm trees can be grown as far north as Victoria Island, BC or Scotland (similar to 7/8). The Palm selection however drops drastically when you go from zone 10 down to 9-7. Many palms can be grown in zone 10 (southern Texas/Florida). In Houston zone 9a is really sort of a cut off for growing delicate palms. Delicate palms such as the Royal or Cuban Palm (Roystonia) can, however be grown in Houston and are increasing in popularity. This Palm is really majestic with a bright green cap below the fronds. I am preparing to grow these at our home in Houston, and I have found out with research that they will be cold hardy to our area after going successfully through one or two seasons. In order to succeed, however, large Royal palms (15-20 ft.) must be planted and carefully protected if it gets below 29 (-2C) degrees. This is not a problem for most winters in Houston. I have been here for 7 yrs and sometimes it has not gone below 32 (0C), however, getting below 25 degrees is possible. Many people plant the Queen Palm which is also the staple palm for Southern Florida. The Queen palm is a good substitute for the Royal. Queen Palms have no problem with 25 degrees and grow very well in Houston. Queen Palms look similar to Royal Palms, however, they lack the green cap and fat bottoms present on some of the Cuban/Royal Palms. The fishtail palm from Austraila tolerated zone 9ab. The Canary Island Palm, found in dryer climates also grows very well Houston and can be even grown in zone 8b without difficulty. The windmill palm, and typical California fan palms grow well to zone 7b/8a. The Pindo Palm and needle palm can be grown in zone 7.

Old 12-21-2006, 03:55 PM

Avocados are subtropical/tropical trees.
They're one of my most favorite fruits. (well taste-wise I consider it a veggie)

Does anyone know of any trees anywhere in between Houston and Galveston?

I know they're grown in the Lower Rio Grande commercially...

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 12-21-2006 at 04:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston