Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 11:58 AM

515 posts, read 559,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Drake is the worst many of his songs rep Houston and he goes to the strip clubs here 3 to 4 times a year and his music is hot garbage
Drake has some early ties to the H-town rap scene. I've even heard some old screwed & chopped stuff by him. Lemmme see if I can find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 12:24 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,021,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornraider View Post
Drake has some early ties to the H-town rap scene. I've even heard some old screwed & chopped stuff by him. Lemmme see if I can find it.
You mean one of his first hits that totally ripped off DJ Screw? The guy loves Houston and Houston loves him back so I have no beef with him.

I just dislike those over the top rap purists from NYC and LA that only give credence to that tired boom-bap sound and discount the South or anything resembling Trap music.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:23 PM

20,519 posts, read 33,572,975 times
Quote:
He really doesn't have any ties. It's just one of the first cities he went to with Wayne.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:07 PM

4,391 posts, read 4,632,186 times
Quote:
Drake is not a dj so I don't see how he has screwed and chopped. Plus Screwed and chop music died when DJ Screw died and no Drake didn't officially drop any slowed and chopped music either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
He really doesn't have any ties. It's just one of the first cities he went to with Wayne.
Personally I don't like Drake at all and really feels like his "love" for Houston is a bit forced and not as authentic but then again I believe that's just his persona all together but he does have ties to the city. Jas Prince(J Prince son) is the one that hooked him u with Wayne. When Drake came to Houston to perform he didn't know Wayne, Jas Prince introduced Drake to Wayne which at first Wayne wasn't feeling Drake but over time took a liking to Drake and eventually ended up signing him to his label or Birdman's label lmao. Houston was the first city to really embrace him as a rapper even more so then his hometown atleast at the time.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:11 PM

9,915 posts, read 6,628,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Travis Scott is the only one I'll give you but he doesn't identify with the Houston sound at all. The rest dabble in pop but remain independent.
So you wouldn't label Baby Bash as pop rap? Maybe his way early tapes sure, but you're talking about the dude that made "Cyclone", "Suga Suga", "What Is It", etc. This isn't pop to you?

Anyway, I'm saying Houston, like LA for example, has plenty of underground legends, mainstream waves, and rappers that went pop.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
So you wouldn't label Baby Bash as pop rap? Maybe his way early tapes sure, but you're talking about the dude that made "Cyclone", "Suga Suga", "What Is It", etc. This isn't pop to you?

Anyway, I'm saying Houston, like LA for example, has plenty of underground legends, mainstream waves, and rappers that went pop.
Baby Bash, sure. But I don't consider him a Texas legend. The ones that always are considered are Trae the Truth, Bun B, Pimp C, Slim Thug, Lil Keke, Chamillionaire, Paul Wall, DJ Screw, and ZRO. You have newbies like Kirko and Riff Raff but the latter is a strange pop infused trap sound of mainstream rap.

Many of those guys I listed are still making rap with the same sound. I don't think they'll ever quit.

Drake is definitely using Houston for Street cred and so did ASAP Rocky and ASAP Mob from Harlem when they first appeared on the scene.

The best rapper out right now IMHO is Big Krit from MS. They call him the reincarnation of Pimp C and truly reps Houston all the time. He is always clamoring about how real hip hop from the South gets no real love except to be copied badly and used for street cred.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:47 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,716,284 times
Rappers not 'from' Houston repping Houston? UGK started that 20+ years ago...

Old 11-16-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Port Arthur is a stones throw away compared to Toronto and Harlem.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Baby Bash, sure. But I don't consider him a Texas legend. The ones that always are considered are Trae the Truth, Bun B, Pimp C, Slim Thug, Lil Keke, Chamillionaire, Paul Wall, DJ Screw, and ZRO. You have newbies like Kirko and Riff Raff but the latter is a strange pop infused trap sound of mainstream rap.

Many of those guys I listed are still making rap with the same sound. I don't think they'll ever quit.

Drake is definitely using Houston for Street cred and so did ASAP Rocky and ASAP Mob from Harlem when they first appeared on the scene.

The best rapper out right now IMHO is Big Krit from MS. They call him the reincarnation of Pimp C and truly reps Houston all the time. He is always clamoring about how real hip hop from the South gets no real love except to be copied badly and used for street cred.
Well yes, I agree with that. But my point to you is this. Other cities with a big underground scenes that don't even have one rapper from there to go anything near pop don't get the same shoutouts by literally every single rapper.

Old 11-16-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
First of all, while UGK first met in Port Arthur, they were first established as a major rap duo in Houston. Even before Jive Records. Second of all, up to this day, both Pimp C and Bun B spend most of their post-teen years in Houston.

And even if this wasn't true, Port Arthur is less than 90 miles away from Downtown Houston. You pass over Winnie, then get to Baytown and you're in the Houston area. How does this compare to someone from across the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston