Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 06:26 PM

3 posts, read 15,456 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of building a new house inside the loop in Houston and are having a lot of trouble finding a builder that does modern or contemporary well. We have seen one or two posts recommending metropolitan design group (MDGI). Anybody else had experience with them - good or bad? Any other recs for contemporary builders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 06:48 PM

64 posts, read 212,255 times
Hi

I think you would do well to talk to a Houston realtor and have them do some research and recommendations for you - there are several modern home builders as well as plenty already under constrction and for sale. After all, as a buyer it costs you nothing to use a realtor and they are on your side.

Good luck
Geraldine

Old 02-21-2008, 07:08 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,838,256 times
I think your first step would be to find an Architect that specializes in contemporary architecture and have them design the home, and work with them on finding a builder.

There are a number of Architects that specialize in contemporary designs. MC2 does a lot of cutting edge stuff. Karen Lantz with Enter Architecture, Camillo Parra with Parra Design Group, & W.E. Gilbert & Associates is another one.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:33 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,600,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
I think your first step would be to find an Architect that specializes in contemporary architecture and have them design the home, and work with them on finding a builder.

There are a number of Architects that specialize in contemporary designs. MC2 does a lot of cutting edge stuff. Karen Lantz with Enter Architecture, Camillo Parra with Parra Design Group, & W.E. Gilbert & Associates is another one.
I agree with modster.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:02 PM

1 posts, read 5,185 times
Hello, homelust,

I can recommend MDGI without reservation. They built a home for us, and we are very, very happy with it. If you would like more details email me and let me know.

Last edited by da jammer; 02-22-2008 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: edited per member request

Old 02-21-2008, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 5,165 times
MDGi built our home in Houston (2169 University) and did a wonderful job. I have since had him design many homes in my home town of Tulsa and he is well known here for his work in the mid town area. I highly recommend MDGi and feel free to email me any questions you may have specifically. You will be in great hands with Su and his team.

Amanda Dailey

Old 02-22-2008, 07:42 PM

I run the Rice University circut and I have seen your home on University. It is beautiful and stands out. Did they design AND build your home? I had a concern that their quote both to design and build the home seemed lower than other builders and was concerned about quality.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Fossi View Post
Hello, homelust,

I can recommend MDGI without reservation. They built a home for us, and we are very, very happy with it. If you would like more details email me and let me know.
Thanks for the response Larry. Did they design AND build your home? I was looking for them to do both and was wondering how their quality was in the construction phase.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:02 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,580,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post

You mean people still do this? Any idea how much that runs?

Beats the daylights out of a McMansion anyday though...

Old 03-06-2008, 01:39 PM

687 posts, read 2,129,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Beats the daylights out of a McMansion anyday though...
Definitely! I live in an MDGI-designed home, and I love it. Not custom-built for me specifically, but beautiful anyway. Prices can be more reasonable than you think, comparable to other new homes in the area. I've noticed that their homes have very good resale value, because the layout and design are so well done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston