Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 09:49 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,005,598 times

Advertisements

Well the article is a bit weird, it talks as though Houston = Texas, and that one guy who moved from Houston to ATL is evidence of coming havoc. I mean isn't ATLs unemployment rate similar or a little lower than Houston's? GA vs Texas have similar unemployment rates as of august 2016. And that's with Texas seeing a downturn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 10:01 AM

439 posts, read 436,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Income up, poverty down: Texas exceeding U.S. in key economic numbers | Economy | Dallas News

Despite the bust, Texas still manages to do somewhat well. I think it might be Houston dragging down the average.
Over the long term, the best economy is going to be one that is dynamic. This isn't so easily understood. A dynamic economy is always winning and losing during both good times and bad. For example, the Fort Worth side of the North Texas economy isn't doing so well. It has defense and energy companies at the base of its economy. A dynamic economy is able to throw off and create new industries.
What bothers me about the Texas economy is the insane idea that we should recreate all those monopolies that people anguished to break into little pieces or dissolve. Remember AT&T and Enron? Huge corporations develop corporate governments that are just as wasteful as pubic governments. They then staff them with ponzie scheming psychopaths. Meanwhile, smaller corporations and small businesses grow faster, pay their employees more, and pay more in taxes.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Well the article is a bit weird, it talks as though Houston = Texas, and that one guy who moved from Houston to ATL is evidence of coming havoc. I mean isn't ATLs unemployment rate similar or a little lower than Houston's? GA vs Texas have similar unemployment rates as of august 2016. And that's with Texas seeing a downturn.
No. Atlanta has a dynamic diverse economy similar to both Chicago and North Texas. Dynamic isn't the same thing as great. Layoffs still happen during good times. Positive indicators happen during slumps. Dallas and Atlanta are sister cities. The average of their GDP is about the same.
The benefits of a diverse economy is that no single industry develops over the other ones to the extent of receiving favors in the way of both social and corporate welfare.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:16 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,005,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow pool of piddle View Post
No. Atlanta has a dynamic diverse economy similar to both Chicago and North Texas. Dynamic isn't the same thing as great. Layoffs still happen during good times. Positive indicators happen during slumps. Dallas and Atlanta are sister cities. The average of their GDP is about the same.
The benefits of a diverse economy is that no single industry develops over the other ones to the extent of receiving favors in the way of both social and corporate welfare.
Not knocking what you said, it's true but the article is conflating Houston with Texas. The downturn affected Houston the most and its dragged the average for the state downward. Other parts are still booming such as north Texas. I mean to call it a drag on the county seems like a bit of a stretch no?

Old 10-13-2016, 10:58 AM

6,290 posts, read 7,494,183 times
A stylish entryway for the city

When dignitaries come calling, the Greater Houston Partnership will be greeting them with class
  • Houston Chronicle
  • 13 Oct 2016
  • By Nancy Sarnoff
Melissa Phillip / Houston Chronicle“‘Wow!’ is way better one than ‘ho hum,’ ” UH professor Betsy Gelb says.When the president of Mozambique came to town with a delegation of country and business officials, leaders at the Greater Houston Partnership booked a room at the Houstonian Hotel to welcome them. The group’s cramped offices on the seventh floor of a 1970s downtown building just wouldn’t do.
But next month, when Princess Astrid of Belgium visits the Bayou City with her own entourage, she won’t have to be shuttled off to an upscale hotel to meet with Houston’s economic development leaders. Her first stop will be the partnership’s new digs: a stylish office decorated in warm woods with leather and bronze accents near the top of a 10-story building on the east side of downtown.
She’ll be able to look out from an expansive terrace that opens up to Discovery Green, the George R.
Brown Convention Center and the rest of the city’s crane-filled skyline.

The idea behind the newly completed space was to create a more impressive “front door for Houston ... a place where dignitaries, heads of state, corporate CEOs, important people coming through this community in a very quick period of time could get the vision of the next great global city,” said Jamey Rootes, longtime board member and the partnership’s chairman.“Cubicles don’t do that,” he said, referring to the partnership’s old offices in the Allen Center complex.

The partnership spent $8.5 million to build out the top two floors of its new building, known as Partnership Tower, at 701 Avenida de Las Americas.

https://www.pressreader.com/usa/hous...81986082074025

These guys are doing a great job with helping to develop a more diverse economy in the Greater Houston area, and this new HQ is a great new development.

On a sad note ,

Herbert Irving, a co-founder of Houston-based food services giant Sysco Corp. and a philanthropist who donated hundreds of millions of dollars to various organizations, died on Oct. 3 at his home in Manhattan. He was 98.

Mr. Irving's philanthropy was fueled by the fortune he made at Sysco, which he founded in 1969 with John Baugh and Harry Rosenthal. The company first sold shares to the public in 1970 and became a major food distribution conglomerate, with sales in the last year of around $50 billion.

Sysco co-founder Herbert Irving dead at 98 - Houston Chronicle

The NY Times also ran a story on his life,
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/11/bu...dead.html?_r=0

P.S. this thread is about Houston's economic diversity, how to achieve it, and examples of how Houston is diversifying its economy. Not about Texas or Georgia's economy or comparisons of who's economy is better.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:12 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,530,564 times
More funding for local startups is really needed....especially tech. I'm surprised with all the money here that it hasn't been a place for many startups.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
More funding for local startups is really needed....especially tech. I'm surprised with all the money here that it hasn't been a place for many startups.
The federal government has an adulterous affair going on with China. China has to continue making much of the world's products so that it can continue buying dollars to support out of control spending by the federal government. Therefore, it isn't in the best interest of the federal government to help its own people by creating companies in this nation that build products.

Pushing the idea of a service economy is tantamount to peddling an empty package of goods. Yet, uf this nation did return to manufacturing high quality priducts, this would lead to our ruin by wrecking the Chinese economy.

The only way to solve this problem is to decrease the size of government.

Metaphorically speaking, if the federal government is a drunkard in a bar, China would be the bar tender buying all the drinks enabling his and her corrupt behavior.

Last edited by Yellow pool of piddle; 10-14-2016 at 08:54 AM..

Old 10-14-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
A stylish entryway for the city

When dignitaries come calling, the Greater Houston Partnership will be greeting them with class
  • Houston Chronicle
  • 13 Oct 2016
  • By Nancy Sarnoff
Melissa Phillip / Houston Chronicle“‘Wow!’ is way better one than ‘ho hum,’ ” UH professor Betsy Gelb says.When the president of Mozambique came to town with a delegation of country and business officials, leaders at the Greater Houston Partnership booked a room at the Houstonian Hotel to welcome them. The group’s cramped offices on the seventh floor of a 1970s downtown building just wouldn’t do.
But next month, when Princess Astrid of Belgium visits the Bayou City with her own entourage, she won’t have to be shuttled off to an upscale hotel to meet with Houston’s economic development leaders. Her first stop will be the partnership’s new digs: a stylish office decorated in warm woods with leather and bronze accents near the top of a 10-story building on the east side of downtown.
She’ll be able to look out from an expansive terrace that opens up to Discovery Green, the George R.
Brown Convention Center and the rest of the city’s crane-filled skyline.

The idea behind the newly completed space was to create a more impressive “front door for Houston ... a place where dignitaries, heads of state, corporate CEOs, important people coming through this community in a very quick period of time could get the vision of the next great global city,” said Jamey Rootes, longtime board member and the partnership’s chairman.“Cubicles don’t do that,” he said, referring to the partnership’s old offices in the Allen Center complex.

The partnership spent $8.5 million to build out the top two floors of its new building, known as Partnership Tower, at 701 Avenida de Las Americas.

https://www.pressreader.com/usa/hous...81986082074025

These guys are doing a great job with helping to develop a more diverse economy in the Greater Houston area, and this new HQ is a great new development.

On a sad note ,

Herbert Irving, a co-founder of Houston-based food services giant Sysco Corp. and a philanthropist who donated hundreds of millions of dollars to various organizations, died on Oct. 3 at his home in Manhattan. He was 98.

Mr. Irving's philanthropy was fueled by the fortune he made at Sysco, which he founded in 1969 with John Baugh and Harry Rosenthal. The company first sold shares to the public in 1970 and became a major food distribution conglomerate, with sales in the last year of around $50 billion.

Sysco co-founder Herbert Irving dead at 98 - Houston Chronicle

The NY Times also ran a story on his life,
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/11/bu...dead.html?_r=0

P.S. this thread is about Houston's economic diversity, how to achieve it, and examples of how Houston is diversifying its economy. Not about Texas or Georgia's economy or comparisons of who's economy is better.
Half of my life was spent living in Houston. I also read your posts. What bothers me is how you only want to compare all things in a way that is Mr. Rogers good. You want to look half way around the world to find an example to use of a diverse economy. Yet, North Texas and Atlanta are two of the best examples of diverse economies in the world.

In this case, I don't think it is possible not to talk about them.

(I can appreciate that you are trying to avoid over heating the thread with another Houston versus Dallas argument)

Old 10-14-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Not knocking what you said, it's true but the article is conflating Houston with Texas. The downturn affected Houston the most and its dragged the average for the state downward. Other parts are still booming such as north Texas. I mean to call it a drag on the county seems like a bit of a stretch no?
Actually, though other parts of Texas are doing well, I do think they are hurting also. They are more diverse. Their economies operate less up and downs. When you get too high, you suffer greater headaches during lows. The better economy is going to bite the bullet avoiding the urge to prop up faltering industries with government spending.

See, the fallacy is that government creates jobs. I gave the example of a city investing in its biotech industry in order to help its economy. As it was so investing in this pipe dream, out from the ground mushroomed a whole other industry. So,what is a nosey government to do? Well, they tried possessing that developing industry making it their idea.

This is how a diverse economy works. While the focos is introspectively out on right field, the new industries come spontaneously out of left field. While the temptation is to meddle, leave it alone. Have faith in the creativity generated by the stress created during downturn.

Beyond declaring that it is all good, this is how downturns are really good.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:06 AM

6,290 posts, read 7,494,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Lets talk solely about diversifying Houston's economic base in this thread, not only suggestions of how too diversify ,but also post examples of companies and organizations that are adding to the economic diversity of the Greater Houston economy.

P.S. perhaps this will become a sticky at some point...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow pool of piddle View Post
Half of my life was spent living in Houston. I also read your posts. What bothers me is how you only want to compare all things in a way that is Mr. Rogers good. You want to look half way around the world to find an example to use of a diverse economy. Yet, North Texas and Atlanta are two of the best examples of diverse economies in the world.

In this case, I don't think it is possible not to talk about them.

(I can appreciate that you are trying to avoid over heating the thread with another Houston versus Dallas argument)

Please read the OP. For your convenience I have reposted it and embolden it in black highlight above. This thread is not about comparisons or debates about whos economy is better or more diverse. This thread is about "diversifying Houston's economic base, not only suggestions of how too diversify ,but also posting examples of companies and organizations that are adding to the economic diversity of the Greater Houston economy."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston