Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 11:41 AM

8 posts, read 16,990 times

Advertisements

OK I have a job that pays well in NY, but at the same time it makes my life a living hell, I bought a house recently for 220k but the commuting is killing me as well. Now, I have 100k saved and since I put 20% down on the house I know I will get some money if I sale it. We have a 3 year old boy and my wife hasn't worked since he was born. so I have a couple of questions if anybody can help me figure it out, I will really really appreciate it.

1. Should I sale the house first then move to Houston (spring, west of 45). rent a home with the option to buy get a job then buy the house.
2. Should I just buy the house in Houston from here as an investment? then move there find a job and wait until the house is sold back in NY?
3. Should I stay in NY and continue being humiliated at work, Should I just eat it for the sake of my family?,
I know I will never find a job that pays what they pay me anywhere not here not there. that's the reason I want to move 'cause if I have to find a new job why not start fresh somewhere else?
4. I have a degree in Business with 12 years of experience as manager and I'am bilingual. will I have a hard time finding a job in Houston?

My biggest bills are the following: two financed cars $600 a month for both. no other debt whatsoever. no credit card debt.

thank you all for your time any help will be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 11:52 AM

226 posts, read 308,040 times
1. Do not move to Houston without a job already. Many people make this mistake and find it very hard to find a job. Especially in this O&G downturn where a lot of industries are hurting that have indirect relationships with O&G in the Houston area.

2. What is your commute now? Typical commute time from any suburb to almost any area in Houston is on average 40 minutes. Yes, this varies per your location, job location, hours, etc. but it is a good time to start with. I wouldn't let a commute in NY be the factor you leave to move to Houston when commuting in Houston is a nightmare as well.

3. As far as housing, solve my other 2 comments first. Then if you can deal with the commute, have a job lined up here already, then you can worry about the house sale/rent situation you are asking about.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:08 PM

730 posts, read 779,926 times
I would not buy a house until I knew where you're job will be.

Any reason you've already picked that part of Spring?

Old 06-06-2016, 12:15 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,783,536 times
Won't be easy to get a mortgage without a job either.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:19 PM

62,107 posts, read 87,887,000 times
Why the hurry with buying a house???? You just bought a house in NY and have mortgage - that's additionally to your car payments. So you have other debt.
Find a job FIRST, and make sure you get it, and pays enough for your family needs. Move to Houston, and first rent (apartment, condo or house). Look around, explore the market, find areas you would like to settle down. Start to look for a house AFTER you decide that you still have/like your new job, Houston, the weather, schools etc.
You might find that commute in Houston sucks too, your new boss isn't nice either, the weather is unbearable, and you are not a happy camper at all...

Old 06-06-2016, 01:58 PM

6,301 posts, read 7,543,991 times
The OP has been pondering this move for a long time now

https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...thout-job.html

that OP was in March 2014. He has also inquired about moves to Florida and North Carolina. Whats my point you ask ? This thread may be a waste of time...

Old 06-06-2016, 02:22 PM

447 posts, read 490,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
The OP has been pondering this move for a long time now

https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...thout-job.html

that OP was in March 2014. He has also inquired about moves to Florida and North Carolina. Whats my point you ask ? This thread may be a waste of time...
Jack, a lot of people are deciding for quite some time before they actually make the step. To relocate the family out of state and find the right place is difficult and scary for people. Takes time and actual " breaking point" when they say, ok it's enough, we are moving.
Very similar situation happened to us, years ago. But we had an advantage, we didn't have to look for jobs here.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:00 PM

277 posts, read 306,557 times
1. List your house, get it on the market.
2. Identify 5 companies/positions you like/qualified for
3. Plan a week vacation with your family to Houston.
4. Let those 5 companies know you will be in town x dates and arrange face to face
5. If house sells, move to apartment in Houston until you are sure of best area to live in, 6 month lease
6. Buy house...be happy

Old 06-06-2016, 04:10 PM

8 posts, read 16,990 times
Yes it is true, the first time I ever thought about moving out of NY was in 2014, it is not an easy situation specially when you have a 3 year old boy. Now I'm very serious and considering leaving the state. If it was just about me I wouldn't be wasting people's time, I will just do it. But my situation is a little complex and I think the more feedback and info you have before making such decision is critical. Again I appreciate every comment and point of view, it helps a lot.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:08 PM

115 posts, read 147,614 times
You can work for a dreadful boss/company any place and it could happen in Houston. Finding a job you love could happen anywhere. If one company pays you X then another might as well also for a comparable position/work expectations. The work experience you listed is vague. Look at the Houston best companies to work and see if they have any rolls. Talk to as many recruiters as possible - they will give you feedback on what you are seeking in a job and also feedback on your qualifications, resume, etc.

How much time have you spent in Houston? Don't buy a house without living in the city first. Take your time with purchasing a home and sell your house in NY before you move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston