Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 09:51 AM

26,208 posts, read 21,711,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
I would suggest you don't, I haven't been taking my car out, I love it too much to risk losing it in flooding.

Well this is just silly, there is zero flooding in the vast majority of the metro area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 03:54 PM

403 posts, read 464,550 times
Yeah well flooding comes quickly. I'm taking my car out nowadays, but on my street the flooding hit very quick and I saw people losing their cars on my own street. Plus, I live in an area that never floods but it flooded this time.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:25 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,894,907 times
Quote:
I would suggest you don't, I haven't been taking my car out, I love it too much to risk losing it in flooding.
Quote:
Yeah well flooding comes quickly. I'm taking my car out nowadays, but on my street the flooding hit very quick and I saw people losing their cars on my own street. Plus, I live in an area that never floods but it flooded this time.
The weather was fine today. Even the sun came out for awhile. Looks like it was the far eastside (Baytown) that got all the rain. I was out all day on the west side of town and all we got was some sprinkles.

Don't be afraid of rain. Just download a weather app on your phone and if it looks like a storm is headed your way head home or stay where you are and let it pass.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:28 PM

403 posts, read 464,550 times
I have a weather app, right now it's making a circular motion and our area could still be hit by lots of rain until the system moves out entirely.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
I have a weather app, right now it's making a circular motion and our area could still be hit by lots of rain until the system moves out entirely.
If you live west of 45 I wouldn't worry about it. But it's your car so do whatever you like. I've lived here for decades so when there's a threat of heavy rain I just avoid the usual low lying flood prone spots like Fondren, Allen Parkway, 45 feeder around Parker.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:25 PM

292 posts, read 550,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusQer View Post
houstmom: no , I haven't been there and only saw the website. We have a 4 year old, what do you think?
I would never go back. last time we took the kids there, we were attacked by the mosquitos. The place is along the bayou and was infested with mosquitos. There were very few people there and now I know why. If you are planning to go, might as well drive another 45 minutes to Kemah and enjoy the Kemah Boardwalk as well as Space Center if the kids enjoy that stuff. The Kemah Boardwalk has rides and lots more fun for the kids. The Aquarium restaurant in Kemah is nicer as well.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:21 PM

381 posts, read 1,095,864 times
I wouldn't drive all the way from San Antonio to Houston to just go to the aquarium. You may be disappointed. To me it feels very commercialized (because it is a commercial business after all) and a little tacky.

I would take a 4 year old to the Children's Museum, Hermann Park train (if weather is good), Discovery Green (if weather is good) or Memorial City Mall for bad weather.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:01 PM

2,447 posts, read 2,554,726 times
Sorry for the poor quality, but it gives an idea how American Shooting Center on Westheimer Pkwy looks like. And this is just little outside of Houston. Yes, most urban areas are dry but there are also different things going on outside of city limits.

Attached Thumbnails
Should I avoid Houston (b/c of floods) this weekend?-img_20160604_180319.jpg   Should I avoid Houston (b/c of floods) this weekend?-img_20160604_180328.jpg  

Old 06-05-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Sorry for the poor quality, but it gives an idea how American Shooting Center on Westheimer Pkwy looks like. And this is just little outside of Houston. Yes, most urban areas are dry but there are also different things going on outside of city limits.

That doesn't impress me. The Barker Reservoir is right there. Just like Bear Creek Park. I see people taking pics of it being underwater like it's something special. Well it's in the Addicks Reservoir so of course it's flooded and it floods often.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:04 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,045,456 times
Is more rain in the forecast later this week?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston