Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2016, 05:55 AM

946 posts, read 1,134,373 times

Advertisements

I'm missing the fresh air and open space and looking for a family friendly place similar to Kemah. Are there any other places? I heard Galveston's beach isn't too pretty but I'm not looking for white sand beaches. Just a place to take my family and be around the open sea or some kind of body of water. Any suggestions welcomed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 07:06 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,060 times
Sea wall in Galveston? There are lots of restaurants along there. Pleasure pier in Galveston, but many find it over priced. Otherwise, Kemah is it as far as I know.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:33 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
In Galveston, other popular options besides the Beach/Seawall are Moody Gardens and Schlitterbahn. Or the Strand, although very little kids may not appreciate its charm. Another option is Surfside Beach. San Leon has a couple of really good seafood places on/near the water. We are partial to Topwater Grill. It has a nice view of the Bay.

I live in Kemah and have little kids so we frequent it often per their request, though we never drive and park there, we always take our boat. A couple of general suggestions I would make:

1). Friday nights are far less crowded than Saturdays. On Friday nights in July (and I think maybe June as well), they have fireworks at 9:30 pm.

2). To minimize traffic, try and avoid accessing it via Hwy 146 from the North. Everyone gets stuck on that bridge trying to make that left turn onto Kemah Boardwalk at 6th Street. Instead, if you are coming from Houston, exit 45 at 518 in League City and then take that due East. It will turn into Marina Bay Blvd and hits 146 essentially right where you turn to get to parking at the Boardwalk.

3). If you don't want to eat at any of the Landry's restaurants on the Boardwalk, there are some places within walking distance in the Kemah Lighthouse district that are halfway decent and fairly kid friendly, including Bakkhus, which is a Greek place. There are also places on the other side of the bridge in Seabrook. There is a fantastic Thai place called Merlion (not that kid friendly, though). And Tookies is probably just days away from opening their new seafood restaurant, which should probably be pretty good.

4). If you do find yourself at Kemah fairly often, or the Pleasure Pier for that matter, go ahead and join the Landry's select club, and then at least you earn some perks for eating at those establishments. Plus, there are some halfway decent restaurants in the group, including Morton's, McCormick and Schmick's and La Griglia.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 05-29-2016 at 08:15 AM..

Old 05-29-2016, 09:14 AM

Thank you

Old 05-29-2016, 09:47 AM

I'm thinking the Houston Arboretum. Is it ok to go after rainy days? Any mosquitoes?

Old 05-29-2016, 11:28 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,000,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude949 View Post
Just a place to take my family and be around the open sea or some kind of body of water.
There may not be a lot of places like the Kemah boardwalk (as in your thread title), but if you are simply referring to your quote above, there should be a number of possibilities, especially around Galveston Bay and along the coast (including places like Galveston, Crystal Beach, and Surfside). It mostly depends on how much driving you are willing to put up with.

Old 05-29-2016, 01:19 PM

277 posts, read 304,664 times
Moving to Houston this summer...only been there for 3 days to house hunt...please let me know what this Kemah is...I have 3 very somber older teens who love parks/nature and it might help soothe the move woes...

Old 05-29-2016, 01:34 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma23peas View Post
Moving to Houston this summer...only been there for 3 days to house hunt...please let me know what this Kemah is...I have 3 very somber older teens who love parks/nature and it might help soothe the move woes...
Kemah has very little to do with parks and nature. It's an amusement park. It's noisy and crowded and has rides and boardwalk games - it is more like a carnival than a park.

Kemah Boardwalk - The Fun Never Stops!

If your teens like camping and nature try the Brazos Bend State Park (hiking trails, camp grounds, alligators and more)

Brazos Bend State Park

or the Buffalo Bayou Park, right in Houston

Buffalo Bayou Partnership

or any of the many other nature parks in the area.

Old 05-29-2016, 01:37 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,805,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude949 View Post
I'm thinking the Houston Arboretum. Is it ok to go after rainy days? Any mosquitoes?
We bring our dogs there and they love it. It will be wet after rainy days but the trails are pretty established so not a lot of puddles if any. Plenty of mosquitoes in the morning and at dusk as everywhere else in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston