Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 03:03 PM

15 posts, read 15,943 times

Advertisements

I'm sure many of us know Galveston was the ripe city for massive growth up until historic hurricanes interrupted it's progress. Imagine Downtown Houston being 3 miles away from Pleasure Pier? We would of possibly surpassed Chicago in skyline AND density.

Oh well, i guess i like Houston the way it is now, but it feels like an LA if you took away the mountains, smaller palm trees, further inland. I see nothing wrong with it but it lacks regional design uniqueness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 03:47 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
We can still move it to Galveston

Old 05-26-2016, 03:59 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,283,943 times
Not really. Galveston is a sand bar. Skyscrapers wouldn't happen until you hit the mainland. The biggest challenge with Houston is the geographic features. There are none. It's a drained bayou that is table flat. If the buildings weren't there you could watch your dog run away for a week. It's so flat you can look out the front door, and see the backside of your house.

Mountains, hills, valleys, rivers, that's what makes for interesting cities, and "character".

Old 05-26-2016, 04:20 PM

6,288 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Not really. Galveston is a sand bar. Skyscrapers wouldn't happen until you hit the mainland. The biggest challenge with Houston is the geographic features. There are none. It's a drained bayou that is table flat. If the buildings weren't there you could watch your dog run away for a week. It's so flat you can look out the front door, and see the backside of your house.

Mountains, hills, valleys, rivers, that's what makes for interesting cities, and "character".
This is total bullcrap, would you say the same thing about the entire state of Florida ? Houston is built where a city should be built and that's where there is economic opportunity to support the city.

Threads like this are nothing but flame bait posted merely as a platform for the OP and others to denigrate the region. Its just total nonsense to fantasize about what obviously didn't happen and really had no chance of ever happening.

Old 05-26-2016, 04:59 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,283,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
This is total bullcrap, would you say the same thing about the entire state of Florida ? Houston is built where a city should be built and that's where there is economic opportunity to support the city.

Threads like this are nothing but flame bait posted merely as a platform for the OP and others to denigrate the region. Its just total nonsense to fantasize about what obviously didn't happen and really had no chance of ever happening.
Huh?

I love Houston and it's been my home for over eight years, and no plans to change that but it's flat as all hell. I genuinely believe some of the hate that people have about the city is related to that. There's no reference anchor. In LA you know where you are in relation to either the mountains or the beach. I'm from Calgary originally. You use the mountains and the river to place yourself in the city. Here, you use freeways, as they're the only significant geographic feature other than Buffalo Bayou, and that barely touches a fraction of the inhabited city.

Galveston never would have happened, as you were limited to a sand bar that is hardly secure.

Florida has the same problem, but Miami is on a beach, so everyone gives it a pass. What's the most maligned city in Florida? Orlando, the only one that's inland.

I think you misread the intent of my post. Houston has countless amazing things, geographic variety isn't one of them.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:17 PM

15 posts, read 12,096 times
It is indeed funny how much Houston is criticized for "lack of geographic feature;" the setting (in terms of access to geographic features of note), is not much different than that of London, Paris, Berlin, and New Orleans. The only difference is, unlike the former cities, Houston didn't utilize the many bayou waterfronts in a way to serve QOL needs of the city; however, as far as being present, the features are indeed there.

Last edited by CosmicDragon; 05-26-2016 at 05:46 PM..

Old 05-26-2016, 06:25 PM

730 posts, read 774,727 times
Quote:
If the buildings weren't there you could watch your dog run away for a week.
I'm dying! It is so true.

Old 05-26-2016, 06:26 PM

730 posts, read 774,727 times
Quote:
Huh?

There's no reference anchor.
ITL v OTL?

Old 05-26-2016, 07:50 PM

6,288 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Quote:
Huh?

I love Houston and it's been my home for over eight years, and no plans to change that but it's flat as all hell. I genuinely believe some of the hate that people have about the city is related to that. There's no reference anchor. In LA you know where you are in relation to either the mountains or the beach. I'm from Calgary originally. You use the mountains and the river to place yourself in the city. Here, you use freeways, as they're the only significant geographic feature other than Buffalo Bayou, and that barely touches a fraction of the inhabited city.

Galveston never would have happened, as you were limited to a sand bar that is hardly secure.

Florida has the same problem, but Miami is on a beach, so everyone gives it a pass. What's the most maligned city in Florida? Orlando, the only one that's inland.

I think you misread the intent of my post. Houston has countless amazing things, geographic variety isn't one of them.
The same can be said for other cities in Texas but you don't see these threads asking to imagine if it were somehow different in those forums.

Here is a similar thread that was closed about 3 weeks ago I guess some may have missed it.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...ike-hills.html

Old 05-26-2016, 10:09 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
What's funny about Houston is that it's extremely flat
Yet, most highways in Houston look like a roller coaster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston