Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 5,301 times

Advertisements

This probably seems like such a crazy question! My family and I are looking to move to the Houston area and it recently dawned on me that I might be in for a terrible surprise with my spider phobia!! Lol As I said, we are wanting to move to Houston or the surrounding suburbs; possibly Sugar Land, League City or Katy. Are tarantulas everywhere in TX? I mean, I know its not overran with them, but are they in the larger cities, as well? Do they get into houses like the more "typical" spiders do? Please forgive me if I sound insane, but tarantulas are a huge fear of mine! Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 01:19 PM

31 posts, read 42,902 times
Hehe, no, you won't see any tarantulas.

I live in Sugar Land, keep a "normal" regiment of pesticides against cockroaches etc, and I hardly see any pests inside. Certainly no tarantulas.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:23 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,809,581 times
I never saw any when I lived there.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:23 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,223,015 times
However our mosquitoes are the state bird and big enough to run anything off.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:24 PM

61,650 posts, read 87,023,434 times
They are everywhere in Texas, and you might encounter them at some time. They are not attacking people if left in peace.
The Texas brown tarantula, (also known as Oklahoma brown tarantula or Missouri tarantula), is one of the most common species of tarantula thriving in the southern-most United States today. Texas brown tarantulas can grow in excess of a four inch leg span, and weigh more than 3 ounces as adults. The body is dark brown in color. Shades may vary between individual tarantulas. They are often restricted to the ground but can climb. When disturbed, like most other tarantulas, the Texas brown will maneuver itself to a stance on its hind legs and raise its front legs in a threatening manner. Bites are generally not a serious harm to humans. The biggest danger would just be the urticating hairs on the back of their legs that they "throw" at attackers in close range. They are very, very, very itchy and painful. They can also bite, and while this is painful, its usually a last resort after the hairs, and I'm guessing that you won't want to to pursue a tarantula after it has already thrown its hairs.

Texas brown tarantulas are very common as pets because of their docility. Like many other popular pet tarantula species (see: Mexican redknee tarantula), Texas brown tarantula are easy to handle, very low maintenance, and inexpensive to care for.

I saw them several times on my backyard and garage. Just leave them alone, and they will go their way.
Here are other ugly insects, though... like water roaches, that are ... 2" long and can fly...

Spoiler

They are not that big (this one lives in Bolivia), but almost...

Last edited by elnina; 05-26-2016 at 10:40 PM..

Old 05-26-2016, 01:33 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,180,565 times
Never seen any here in the Houston area, but we saw several when we lived in Wichita Falls, including once when I was at a friends house and her then 7 year old boy came running into the house with one and asked her "Mom, what is this???". I was not prepared for the sight of a huge spider....

Old 05-26-2016, 01:38 PM

31 posts, read 42,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
They are everywhere in Texas, and you might encounter them at some time. They are not attacking people if left in peace.
Do you live rural? Certainly haven't seen one here, though have seen all the other pests, snakes etc.

Old 05-26-2016, 02:17 PM

61,650 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Not rural, CityCentre area.

This one I caught on my backyard, put in a ziplock bag and brought to work

Last edited by elnina; 05-26-2016 at 02:40 PM..

Old 05-26-2016, 08:32 PM

23,959 posts, read 15,066,841 times
A million years ago when I was a kid, one lived on our front porch in a pot of fern. That was in the Montrose. Haven't seen any in years.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:47 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,266,130 times
I would worry more about the giant centipedes. Spiders don't really scare me, no matter the size. Centipedes send me running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston