Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 08:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,913 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I am relocating the Houston area from Dallas for work and was hoping to get some expert insight on how the commute to Sugar Land will be from the Energy Corridor. I am looking at apartments in the Energy Corridor area but am slightly worried about how the commute to and from work will be during rush hour. Am I better off just renting in Sugar Land? I don't want to be far from everything, but sitting in traffic for hours a day may get old quick! Any insight will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 09:05 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,057,119 times
Energy corridor is pretty far from everything. Sugarland isnt any further so id say live in sugarland or reverse commute from the city where most things are located for young people

Old 05-22-2016, 09:13 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,798,480 times
Just curious, why would you rather live in the Energy Corridor than Sugar Land? EC is a fantastic area, but in terms of lifestyle it doesn't offer much that Sugar Land doesn't. Maybe a few more young singles and couples, but it's still a fairly suburban atmosphere.

As to your original question - commuting from the EC to Sugar Land is a little rough - maybe 30-40 minutes down Hwy 6 - but much better than the far-more-common commute from Sugar Land to the EC. However, all it takes is one busted traffic light on Hwy 6 for traffic to back up all the way to I-10.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:09 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,041,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teaulip View Post
Hi all. I am relocating the Houston area from Dallas for work and was hoping to get some expert insight on how the commute to Sugar Land will be from the Energy Corridor. I am looking at apartments in the Energy Corridor area but am slightly worried about how the commute to and from work will be during rush hour. Am I better off just renting in Sugar Land? I don't want to be far from everything, but sitting in traffic for hours a day may get old quick! Any insight will be greatly appreciated!
It will be bad. Will take an hour or so, since you will be crossing upto 15 signals on hwy 6..

Old 05-23-2016, 04:51 AM

2 posts, read 2,913 times
Oh wow! Thank you all for your responses, this is helpful. I see a lot of references to hwy 6, but when I try plotting the commute on Google maps, the first option I'm given is Eldridge for 2 miles to west park tollway to Sam Houston tollway etc. Is this not a preferable route to 6, or just as bad?

Old 05-23-2016, 06:04 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,400,482 times
For that commute, you might as well live in the 610 loop and really be close to everything.

If I worked in SL, I would just live there.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:10 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,294,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teaulip View Post
Oh wow! Thank you all for your responses, this is helpful. I see a lot of references to hwy 6, but when I try plotting the commute on Google maps, the first option I'm given is Eldridge for 2 miles to west park tollway to Sam Houston tollway etc. Is this not a preferable route to 6, or just as bad?
Worse IMO. The westpark is a parking lot in the mornings going in. Plus the daily costs.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:39 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,270,543 times
The Energy Corridor is a very generic term....To give you a good answer people would need to know exactly what you are referring to as the Energy Corridor. Many folks think the Energy Corridor begins around Campbell Road inside the Beltway, and extends all the way out to Katy.

I can tell you from I-10 and the beltway you can be at 59...I mean 69 (hate the change) and Hwy 6 in less than 20 minutes...I live at I-10 and the beltway, and I was frequenting the vet at 1515 Lake Pointe Parkway, in sugar land, and I chose morning appointments b/c there was zero traffic between 7-9 reverse communting on the beltway.

Now the way back in the afternoon, you will have a little traffic on the beltway which usually starts around westpark tollway, and stays bad regardless of which way you go on I-10....even the inbound traffic is bad in the afternoons these days.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:46 PM

31 posts, read 43,202 times
Eldridge, West Park Tollway to Sam Houston is a parking lot in the mornings. I wouldn't do it.
If anything, I would rather be on the other side of the BW8 then, even closer to downtown.

Westheimer/BW8 to Sugar Land is ~15-20min in normal traffic, going BW8-59 only. So CityCenter/Domain is a very nice area to live, and commute to Sugar Land, if you don't want to stay in Sugar Land.

But, Sugar Land isn't a bad place to live really, especially if you get a place close to Town Center. Then you're just on 59 all the way to downtown. (Which can be a gamble time-wise depending on random idiot collisions, but oh well, you get those anywhere in Houston anyways; EC no different.)

[Work: BW8/Westheimer, Live: SL]

Old 05-26-2016, 08:28 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,081,096 times
I know the biggest Japanese community in Houston is centered in the Energy Corridor... the library, the future Seiwa Market, and Nippan Daido are all centered there.

But the Chinese and Indians have a much bigger draw in Sugar Land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston