Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2016, 08:26 PM

67 posts, read 153,480 times

Advertisements

I took my car one place here in Katy, and it failed inspection (I wasn't charged an inspection fee). Where can I take my car in West Houston / Katy that will pass it easily? Details below:

I drive a 1999 Lexus LS-400, with a 4.0 V-8 (1UZ-FE) engine, with an automatic transmission and a little over 42000 miles.

I took my car in for Texas state inspection today, and it failed because of the rack and pinion (approx where the steering column connects to the axle). The guy said there was a leak, but nothing was leaking (he showed me, with the car up on the rack). It was just a little moist at that joint.

How bad is this? Is this something that Texas state inspection (it's done by a regular auto repair place) would normally catch? I was told to call to call back for what they charge for a remanufactured (with 99% OEM parts, the guy said) rack and pinion (joint, I guess) (he said the dealership charges $500, but this remanufactured one would be considerably less), and this shop charges $350 for labor. Is this reasonable?

We only drive this car about 2500 miles a year. As I was told, we'll know when it's leaking badly because the steering will become very difficult. Maybe, in the meantime, we could take it to another shop (for auto inspection) which might pass it. I'm not sure where such a shop might be, except in a poorer part of town. I did this in Dallas (with another car) 25 - 30 years ago, and then again in Houston (where I live now) with yet another car, 20 - 25 years ago, Anyone have any opinion on this?

My wife's really in love with this car, and would like to keep it as long as possible.

If you don't wish to post here, you're welcome to send me a private message, or E-mail me at mobe4@att.net.

Reply Reply to All Forward More
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 09:08 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Wow. My advice is go to a place like Mr Sticker that only does inspections and not repairs. They won't have any financial incentive to find things to repair.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:53 PM

67 posts, read 153,480 times
Default I'll consider Mr. Sticker

Don't know if Mr. Sticker is a local or a national chain, but I'll took into it. Thanks for your prompt reply.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:40 AM

57 posts, read 127,224 times
We go to Sticker Stop Express (I think that is the name), at the corner of Shepherd and Richmond. I don't know how lax it is, but their main businesses are just inspections and oil changes, so it seems like it would fit the bill. They have also been very fast when we have gone there.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:45 AM

693 posts, read 1,108,610 times
If you can't afford to fix your clunker so it can pass inspection, you shouldn't be driving it. That is why the inspection process exists.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:52 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,795,280 times
A slow leak from a rack and pinion would show up on a mechanical inspection but shouldn't matter for a state safety inspection. I've never had a state inspection place check any of our cars closely enough to catch minor leaks.

Steering rack leaks seem to be common on that generation LS400 - we had the same issue on our old '96. We eventually replaced the rack, b/c we were tired of the car dripping all over our driveway, but before we did we would just top off the power steering fluid about once a month. You'd hear a squealing sound from the PS pump before you'd notice any additional weight in the steering, and that would inform you that fluid needs to be added. Not a big deal.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:01 AM

15,440 posts, read 7,506,592 times
Criteria for inspection can be found here https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/VI...nCriteria.aspx Choose the criteria from the drop down.

One of the criteria under steering is f. Visible leaks in power steering unit or hoses. That may be why OP's car was failed.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:16 AM

504 posts, read 1,150,940 times
wow. never had anyone look under my car for inspection.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:24 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Criteria for inspection can be found here https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/VI...nCriteria.aspx Choose the criteria from the drop down.

One of the criteria under steering is f. Visible leaks in power steering unit or hoses. That may be why OP's car was failed.
Correct. The difference is in how hard you look and how you interpret visible. His place put the car on a rack and inspected all the hoses and gearboxes to look for signs of seepage. Another place might park the car and look at the floor underneath it a few minutes later to see if there is a puddle of fluid.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:06 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,727,021 times
I would agree with 979Texan, a poster I have almost nothing in common with, and say that the best option you have now is to get your car fixed. Even the slightest bit of moisture can be sign of a major leak elsewhere in the steering. That's not something you want to leave unaddressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: