Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 09:50 AM

986 posts, read 1,274,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
My husband makes over $200k, and I still worry about money. College (we have 3 kids), retirement, etc. we live comfortably, but I still worry. I budget, use coupons, etc. Money is always a worry.
That's my point. I worry about money a lot more now than I did when I was making $27,000 right out of college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 10:35 AM

177 posts, read 202,113 times
Odd thing.... when I made $XX,XXX, random expenses would pop up and would be $XX. Now that I make $XXX,XXX, random expenses pop up and somehow cost $XXX or $X,XXX. Granted, some of that is house related whereas before I lived in an apartment, but it has come as a bit of a surprise to me that "life" stuff has pretty much kept pace with salary "inflation."

Old 04-29-2016, 10:47 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,774,748 times
More Money More Problems...

Old 04-29-2016, 11:10 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,446,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPollito View Post
Odd thing.... when I made $XX,XXX, random expenses would pop up and would be $XX. Now that I make $XXX,XXX, random expenses pop up and somehow cost $XXX or $X,XXX. Granted, some of that is house related whereas before I lived in an apartment, but it has come as a bit of a surprise to me that "life" stuff has pretty much kept pace with salary "inflation."
Same thing here. But it makes sense sine you probably have more expensive stuff then before.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:13 AM

308 posts, read 499,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
More Money More Problems...
the more you make, the more you spend

Old 04-29-2016, 11:35 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,246,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalam321 View Post
the more you make, the more you spend
My "total compensation" = $175,000 and my wife stays home. It is comfortable but even still there are limitations to this "comfort." It is easy to see how people making this much can go broke in short order.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:02 PM

156 posts, read 370,613 times
Quote:
My husband makes over $200k, and I still worry about money. College (we have 3 kids), retirement, etc. we live comfortably, but I still worry. I budget, use coupons, etc. Money is always a worry.

Make them pay for their own college. There is no rule that parents have foot the bill for that. Not trying to make assumptions but i imagine growing up in your household that they probably have it made and don't have to worry about anything.. making them pay for college will make them appreciate it more and. It just treat it as a 4-5 years to party on mom and dad's dime.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:50 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,666,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageInAZ View Post
Make them pay for their own college. There is no rule that parents have foot the bill for that. Not trying to make assumptions but i imagine growing up in your household that they probably have it made and don't have to worry about anything.. making them pay for college will make them appreciate it more and. It just treat it as a 4-5 years to party on mom and dad's dime.
I hear you; I do. We value education highly in our family. My husband and I had scholarships and loans to pay for our college educations (our parents all could barely afford to help). We are lucky to have paid everything off. We are not at all opposed to having our kids help pay for their own college educations. But we do want to help in any way we can.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:38 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,025,559 times
Quote:
I hear you; I do. We value education highly in our family. My husband and I had scholarships and loans to pay for our college educations (our parents all could barely afford to help). We are lucky to have paid everything off. We are not at all opposed to having our kids help pay for their own college educations. But we do want to help in any way we can.
Part time job, community college, high GPA, enter state college of their choice paid for by state. As a parent fill in the gaps.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:43 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,025,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
I'm making way over that and still live paycheck to paycheck. A lot of it has to do with your standard of living; some people (such as myself) grew up a certain way and are unhappy giving up that quality of life.
Huh? I'm not totally against what you said cus I too grew up upper middle class but there has to be a point to where you learn to make do and save. For me, I sacrifice housing to save more and live the life I like. After living in LA I'm pretty comfortable in an older place in a transitioning area. My income if I moved back would be about 70k at this point. I would live it up.

I get it though, some (I should say A LOT) Houstinians are very 'keeping up with the joneses' types because it's cheaper to make yourself look like a 100k millionaire. And with the relatively lower housing and renting options for professionals, choosing to live in an older place or a place that doesn't look cookie cutter master planned seems insane but I'd rather do that and save than live beyond my means.

175k??!! In Houston? Even with a family there is no excuse to love paycheck to paycheck. None. Unless of course you're stuck with 12 kids or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston