Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 03:37 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
With no traffic, I've made it to Brenham from near the medical center in just over an hour. So Cypress is definitely doable as an alternative to Brenham.
My record is 65 minutes door to door. At that time, our place was about 10 minutes past the first Brenham exit. So slightly less than an hour to Brenham itself. At speeds not considered legal.

So for those of you with Brenham places, and intentionally leaving it vague for the Internet, about where are you? We're on FM2621, about 3 miles from Independence. Our first place was on Happy Hollow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 11:41 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,219,218 times
Brenham is like the other small towns out there....

cliquish, certain families have pull, the legend football coach who can't be replaced, know what side of town contains what, one industry goes, the town falls, etc....

Old 04-23-2016, 07:12 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
Brenham is like the other small towns out there....

cliquish, certain families have pull, the legend football coach who can't be replaced, know what side of town contains what, one industry goes, the town falls, etc....
I wouldn't be quite so negative in my appraisal. Yes, it's like most small towns. But I found people to be very welcoming. Cliquish? You get that everywhere, large or small. No worse here than in Houston.

Families with pull? Again, all places have that. You think Houston doesn't? And on and on.

I've found Brenham to be a great place to live. If you look for the negative in life, you will find it. Look for the positive, and ...

Old 04-25-2016, 10:56 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,943,769 times
LOL about the cliquishness - we are also weekenders in the greater Brenham area and often hear about the "BOB" attitude (Born in Brenham) vs. "outsiders" and "weekenders." Honestly unless you're really trying to conduct business or make major social inroads there it's not a huge deal. Suffice to say that some of the old German tightfistedness is still around though.

From our home in the Energy Corridor to Brenham proper, via backroads to FM 529 and SH 36, (or SH 99 and 290) is about 70 minutes. Whether your commute time to Houston would be more or less depends primarily upon what side of town your home is located and off what local roads near Brenham. Shopping in Brenham is pretty good for a town that size - your daily needs are decently met locally. Though they could use some better pizza / BBQ / TexMex. (You'd think they'd have better BBQ than what they have, and TexMex too.)

Lake Somerville is a Corps of Engineers facility, which means that the Corps controls all land a certain distance from the "full" lake level - so no private waterfront homes. FYI, much of last year (and if its watershed gets more heavy rainstorms, some of this year), public access to the lake was extremely limited because all boat ramps and parks were flooded out as the lake level was very high. No wakeboarding for us

Old 04-25-2016, 04:00 PM

800 posts, read 1,463,980 times
Friends of mine used to live in Cypress, the husband was getting his Master's degree at A&M in College Station while the wife worked in the Galleria area of Houston. 45-50 minute commute for both of them (this was before 290 was torn up going from Cypress into town, but I digress). The daily commute to College Station was no problem for him, and I believe College Station might be a bit further out than Brenham. So, Cypress would get my vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston