Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 07:37 AM

2,442 posts, read 2,536,880 times

Advertisements

Last year it was possible in Bear Creek/North Katy areas.
40-45 min to Downtown without traffic, but up to 90 min in a traffic.
I personally visited 2010 house that was priced at 89K.

It was pretty good but small (800-900 sq.ft). However, a way better than apartment.
House condition was great, cause it was built in 2010.
It had detached garage and even a backyard. Community looked good, but I didn't go into much details.
The thing is that there are several modern subdivisions on that side of town that have small houses dispersed between larger homes. Those small houses look pretty much the same and they are all sub-100K houses. However 90K listing price doesn't mean you will end up paying that amount. Competition in this price segment is fierce, and you will have to put at least 5K above to beat other offers.

I saw some pretty decent 120K house last year in a neighborhood that looked really really not bad, and there was a huge huge line of people waiting to get in and take a look. And the owner got about 20 offers in one single day. In order to win such a competition you need to put probably 10K above listing price.
You will probably need to adjust your preapproval letter to 100K and there are chances to buy a house within that budget in a good condition (built in 2000s). Don't go with older houses.
Regarding schools, don't expect much. Probably 5/10. With a crime it's a lottery. Depends on a particular block. There might be drug houses in that area. But overall that area is more or less safe. Just don't expect same level of safety as in River Oaks. But you are paying 100K, not 1 million, right? For this budget it is very good.

I saw competitors looking for houses in that price range. All those people looked nice, mostly young professionals. Here most users are talking about houses within at least 250-400K budget. They probably look down at those people who are considering sub-130K houses. However if you are somewhere in the beginning of your career and not sure where will you move for a future job in next 2-3 years, why you need to put all money in 300K house? And also how much property tax will you pay? (it's super crazy here in Texas). Do more research and you can get decent house within your budget.

Last edited by Ghost Town; 04-14-2016 at 07:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 07:49 AM

108 posts, read 172,235 times
Might try La Porte or Baytown.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:07 AM

2,442 posts, read 2,536,880 times
By the way, right now I don't see any small house listings in the area that I previously mentioned. With the current severe oil crisis those houses are probably even in higher demand. But they might show up sometime soon.

Currently within your budget I see this house: 5206 Pershing St, Houston, TX 77033 - HAR.com
Geographically, it is fantastic location. Close to everything. But not sure about how good are people in that neighborhood in general.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:27 AM

186 posts, read 210,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Not to be cynical but pre-approval for $90k doesn't mean you can actually afford to buy a $90k home depending on your current obligations. I could qualify for a home 2 to 3 times the value of my current home. But I wouldn't feel comfortable buying at my upper limit. I would see how much I could realistically afford to pay for mortgage, home insurance, property tax, utilities, home maintenance and emergencies for the next 30 years.

A rough estimate for mortgage, home insurance, property tax and PMI on a $90k house would be $950.

Good luck to you!
These are very good points to take into consideration. A lot of people don't think about this... We are in the same boat. Our monthly income could qualify for us a house 3 times what we are buying. But it would stretch us, in our opinion. We don't live like that. Think very carefully about what you really can comfortably afford. Mortgage vs. rent payment... either way you're gonna have a payment. A home purchase is a very big decision though. It's not just a mortgage payment. It's maintenance, taxes, etc. Lots of stuff to think about.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:59 AM

18,142 posts, read 25,337,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Not to be cynical but pre-approval for $90k doesn't mean you can actually afford to buy a $90k home depending on your current obligations. I could qualify for a home 2 to 3 times the value of my current home. But I wouldn't feel comfortable buying at my upper limit. I would see how much I could realistically afford to pay for mortgage, home insurance, property tax, utilities, home maintenance and emergencies for the next 30 years.

A rough estimate for mortgage, home insurance, property tax and PMI on a $90k house would be $950.

Good luck to you!
I just used this to help a friend out
https://www.zillow.com/mortgage-calculator/

Old 04-14-2016, 07:12 PM

5,638 posts, read 4,967,332 times
You could try the areas north and northwest of Greenspoint, south of FM 1960 / Cypress Creek Parkway.

Also around Antoine and the Beltway.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:08 AM

2,192 posts, read 3,227,112 times
90k can get you 10 minutes from the medical center off Main Street....Hiram Clarke (older Areas with well built homes in decent areas), fondren area (there are pocket communities), missouri city, etc....

Old 04-15-2016, 07:26 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,024,213 times
For 90k, I would buy in Acres Homes. A chance to build real wealth in 5 years, and even more if you live in it for 8+ years. And not really that much more unsafe than any other neighborhood than suggested here. If you keep to yourself, chances are good you won't be a victim of violent crime in Houston. Schools you'd have to use HISD's lottery system as the schools are probably worse on balance than other 90k neighborhoods.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:08 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,989,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
For 90k, I would buy in Acres Homes. A chance to build real wealth in 5 years, and even more if you live in it for 8+ years. And not really that much more unsafe than any other neighborhood than suggested here. If you keep to yourself, chances are good you won't be a victim of violent crime in Houston. Schools you'd have to use HISD's lottery system as the schools are probably worse on balance than other 90k neighborhoods.
I love how you say it if you keep to yourself you probably won't be a victim of a violent crime.

Show does that mean if he look up by accident when he is getting his mail he might get shot?

Old 04-15-2016, 08:09 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,989,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Currently within your budget I see this house: 5206 Pershing St, Houston, TX 77033 - HAR.com
Geographically, it is fantastic location. Close to everything. But not sure about how good are people in that neighborhood in general.
Right next to Sunnyside, the 5th most dangerous neighborhood in USA.

Nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston