Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 06:08 PM

730 posts, read 777,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
New construction will almost 100% be in a MUD. Varies by neighborhood, but expect overall tax rate to be in the range of 0.5-1.5% higher than older, established neighborhoods.

HAR publishes tax rates on the listing page. You can compare the rates for an older existing home and a nearby one in a new neighborhood and see the delta.
I'd say anything in suburbia built after 1995 will have MUD tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 07:32 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,752,340 times
The suburbs have much higher taxes then if you live in Houston.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:07 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,406,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
The suburbs have much higher taxes then if you live in Houston.
If Sugar Land is too built up and congested for the OP, they would have a heart attack if they moved into Houston.

Old 04-15-2016, 02:01 PM

277 posts, read 305,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
If Sugar Land is too built up and congested for the OP, they would have a heart attack if they moved into Houston.
Absolutely!! Houston proper is not an option. I love big cities, but not to live in. London, NYC, Rome, Barcelona are a few cities I love...could even live there short term..but we hope to make this a long staying move. I'm realizing EVERYTHING we need access to is in the North! Our Debate clubs we've competed with for six years, Irish dance, rowing, homeschool classes (I create curricula each year for students and this year had 100 in my classes..hope to continue those)...dh said his boss is flexible and would let him work from home during peak traffic then drive to office around 10am...
His office is near Westchase just north of Sugar Land...
Would Magnolia or Conroe be too far with traffic at those times?

Old 04-15-2016, 02:09 PM

277 posts, read 305,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Absolutely!! Houston proper is not an option. I love big cities, but not to live in. London, NYC, Rome, Barcelona are a few cities I love...could even live there short term..but we hope to make this a long staying move. I'm realizing EVERYTHING we need access to is in the North! Our Debate clubs we've competed with for six years, Irish dance, rowing, homeschool classes (I create curricula each year for students and this year had 100 in my classes..hope to continue those)...dh said his boss is flexible and would let him work from home during peak traffic then drive to office around 10am...

Old 04-15-2016, 02:26 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,881,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma23peas View Post
dh said his boss is flexible and would let him work from home during peak traffic then drive to office around 10am...
If that is the Westchase district off BW 8, you are looking at a 50 mile one way commute, and an hour or so each way in no to minimal traffic, from either Conroe or Magnolia. A bit far for me, but at least if he could avoid rush hour, it might not be too bad to drive. I would say, it is all up to his tolerance for commuting.

Good luck in your search!

Old 04-15-2016, 02:47 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,406,249 times
Okay, now you need to look at the beltway 8 and go north. Spring, Tomball, Cypress are all good areas. Magnolia and Conroe are way up there.

Westchase is not close to what most people think of Sugar Land.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:01 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,752,340 times
If you live that far north your husband may as well get an apartment in town to use during the week then he can drive home to see you guys for the weekend, or stay where you are and just have him fly in M-F for work.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:53 PM

313 posts, read 283,453 times
It's worth a look at north Cypress (check out north of 290, south of 2920 and west of Telge). It's a mixed bag of semi-rural, MPCS, commercial, industrial, horse land (lots of stables/arenas), ranchettes/farmettes, enclave and gated communities and cows.

The Grand Parkway 99 just opened up and will take you to south to SL and west to Woodlands.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:58 PM

730 posts, read 777,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
If that is the Westchase district off BW 8, you are looking at a 50 mile one way commute, and an hour or so each way in no to minimal traffic, from either Conroe or Magnolia. A bit far for me, but at least if he could avoid rush hour, it might not be too bad to drive. I would say, it is all up to his tolerance for commuting.

Good luck in your search!
This. He'd be looking at a 75-90 minute commute each way if he didn't work 6am to 3pm

Maybe he needs to pass on the job if it is going to throw the family into so much chaos? Otherwise, you may need to choose what to give up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston