Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 02:35 PM

828 posts, read 771,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC0341 View Post
Thanks for your replies. I am now second guessing engineering as a major. I talked to people today that said there is not much hope for new grads in the current market. IDK what I should do at this point.

The current market will just be one of those sad stories we tell our grandchildren about by the time you graduate. Just like now when all the old guys are lecturing about the 80s crash. No jobs AND it snowed every day.

IF YOU CAN DO THE WORK......a Chem E degree will take you far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 02:42 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,982,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark01 View Post
The current market will just be one of those sad stories we tell our grandchildren about by the time you graduate. Just like now when all the old guys are lecturing about the 80s crash. No jobs AND it snowed every day.

IF YOU CAN DO THE WORK......a Chem E degree will take you far.
I think the STEM degrees have went way inflated the past 10 years, especially here in O&G and in Silicon Valley while all other degrees have stay constant or even backward in some case.

I think we will see some level or possibly downward salary trend for the next 5 years in STEM professions.

Yes it will happen and it have happen before.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:36 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,594,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Hawkeye View Post
Maybe that is pathetic. If so, I don't care. My wife is attractive, my kids are successful in school, and I enjoy what I do for a living. At the end of the day, I have a degree that you would never be able earn. How's that Masters in Internet Trolling coming along?

Thanks for adding nothing to the conversation.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:59 AM

2,847 posts, read 2,165,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC0341 View Post
Good evening,

I wanted to ask for advice on ChE at Prairie View A&M. Most recently I have been attending Lone Star College doing prereqs in hopes to transfer to UH for Geophysics. After surfing various forums and speaking to career counselors I have crossed this major off of my list considering the low prospects of being hired with only a BS degree in Geophysics. So I am considering transferring to PVAMU for ChE this fall. I know some of you are wondering why. My answer is because I am currently in Pre Calc and the minimum requirement to apply for Engineering majors at the other surrounding Uni's is Calc I. Although I am signed up for EngII, CalcI, and CalcII for the summer session, I am pretty sure by the time my transcripts are submitted and reviewed the fall semester will have started. A second reason I am rushing to get into a Uni is because I am using VA benefits to pay for school. The benefit I am using is not the traditional GI Bill and requires a counselor to extend my benefits which will soon run out for me unless I am accepted to a Uni.

I know PVAMU is a HBCU in which I am not of the ethnicity that would contribute to that legacy (Native American/Mexican) but I wonder am I less likely to be accepted because of this. Aside from that, I have never really heard much about this school but I am somewhat new to the Houston area having only resided here for less that 2 years. Most people only mention the majors when engineering is discussed like UH, TAMU, UT's, etc... Would I have any less of a chance being hired as a new grad from PVAMU? After driving there earlier today the campus looked pretty big but the initial impression of the surrounding town led me to believe there was not much outside of campus.

I have done only a few Engineering classes but was wondering how much Chemistry a ChE actually deals with? I have read/heard after completing O-Chems there really is not much Chemistry that is used academically or in the work setting. What kind of research projects should I look to get involved in while doing undergraduate courses? What are the current job prospects for ChE's in Houston? Out of those prospects what is the expected pay for a entry level ChE after graduation? Obviously most want to go into O&G as I would but what are the chances of that happening? I plan on pursuing at a minimum a MS in ChE. Should I finish the BS and transition right into a MS program or get some experience under my belt first? Does the MS degree really matter? Is it worth the money spent to get that higher degree? Are there any certifications I should be looking at to give me more of a competitive edge? Some of these questions can be looked up via salary.com or payscale.com but I think those are pretty inaccurate considering I know people in different fields (not Engineering) that agreed when comparing their own salaries. So I would like honest answers from people in the work force currently. Also I will be in my late 30's when completing this degree, does this bring any problems with being hired because of my age? I have more questions I would like to ask but I have had some people tell me I am a little long winded when I asked info on forums so I will cut this off here. However, any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to respond or read my post.
Don't worry about how your background can affect your chance of getting into PVAMU or any other institution. Just apply and see if you get accepted.

I'd like to tell you that your age won't matter but that's not how the world works. A lot of the medium to large oil and gas companies hire through their internship programs and it might be more challenging for nontraditional students to get into those. I'm not saying it can't be done but you'll have to be above average.

ChE does not really use that much chemistry. Half of the course load actually involve solving partial differential equations. You can cram your way through Organic Chemistry but if Calculus I is a challenge for you then I would not recommend ChE as a major. If you can hack it however it is definitely one of the better STEM degrees to have.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:55 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,000,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Hawkeye View Post
Maybe that is pathetic. If so, I don't care. My wife is attractive, my kids are successful in school, and I enjoy what I do for a living. At the end of the day, I have a degree that you would never be able earn. How's that Masters in Internet Trolling coming along?

Thanks for adding nothing to the conversation.
I think that's the best rebuttal I've ever seen on this forum. I could take a note or two on the wording and delivery, being the object of slams a few times myself.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:13 PM

13 posts, read 11,450 times
I just wanted to provide an update and say I was accepted to PVAMU for ChE. If I choose to continue on this path is there any other advice for school and after that you guys have to relay to me and/or anyone else with the same interests?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston