Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2016, 11:34 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,332,625 times

Advertisements

One of the neighborhoods we are looking at buyi in (lake creek forest) has a few lots for sale that we are considering. We've never even considered building a home before so don't have any idea where to start.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a builder or two we could get in touch with in that area? Also, any estimate of what custom homes are costing these days? Does $120 a square ft sound reasonable, or am I way off base?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 03:36 PM

177 posts, read 202,313 times
Not 100% sure, but my limited research would suggest $120/sq. ft. seems too low.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPollito View Post
Not 100% sure, but my limited research would suggest $120/sq. ft. seems too low.
Yeah, I'm trying to get a general ballpark to see if I can even swing it before hounding a bunch of builders for information. At the same time, I want to make sure to get some recommendations because I know experiences with this sort of stuff can really be hit or miss.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:47 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,376,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
Yeah, I'm trying to get a general ballpark to see if I can even swing it before hounding a bunch of builders for information. At the same time, I want to make sure to get some recommendations because I know experiences with this sort of stuff can really be hit or miss.
I don't rhink that contacting homebuilders for info would be considered hounding. Your question is kind of difficult to answer. I do however think that $120 per sq foot is low.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:47 AM

Mostly just trying to get some builder Recs at this point. I've seen Tilson mentioned several times on this forum, so I'll probably start with them. Any other recommendations?

Old 03-25-2016, 07:41 AM

249 posts, read 562,685 times
When building homes, the land cost is always considered separately. With that in mind, $120-140/ft is standard in the Houston area for a very nice custom build. In that range, you should expect custom built on site cabinets, nice granite, upgraded (Viking, etc) appliances, nice mill/finish work, real hardwoods, etc. That cost is on top of whatever the lot costs, architect costs, etc.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstaffor View Post
When building homes, the land cost is always considered separately. With that in mind, $120-140/ft is standard in the Houston area for a very nice custom build. In that range, you should expect custom built on site cabinets, nice granite, upgraded (Viking, etc) appliances, nice mill/finish work, real hardwoods, etc. That cost is on top of whatever the lot costs, architect costs, etc.
Thanks. That's about what I was thinking. I've called Tilson Homes and Trust Construction so far and a little concerned about the price discrepancy! Tilson was giving me quotes around $90 s sq ft, which is be skeptical of if they weren't so widely recommended on these forums. I realize that doesn't include any landscaping or even a driveway, so that's probably a big piece of the difference. They said it includes SS appliances, but certainly not Viking level is assume. I'll still plan on closer to $125 I think when I run my calcs to see if we can really afford it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston