Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2016, 09:28 AM

11 posts, read 16,735 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, this is only my second time posting on here but I recently took a tour of KB's Shadow Grove Preserve neighborhood. Its in our price range and we like the location, but I wanted to know if there are any new residents on here that can give me some insight on the KB experience. I already know its zoned to Fort Bend ISD (Willworidge) and not Alvin ISD. {Side Note} I went to Willowridge in the early 2000's and its not as bad as portrayed on this form (no school is picture perfect). The way people talk about my school you would think its a 3rd world country over there, and the kicker is they have never stepped foot in the building................ but I digressed {End Side Note}. So any insight about that area would be nice and really appreciated. I know the tax rate is pretty high 3.3 something I think, which is a deterrent. We might just stick with Fresno, but I think the Pearland area might be a little more diverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 10:14 AM

2,192 posts, read 3,246,222 times
I went to ridge also in the late 90s.....it's nothing what it was then but reputation hurts...shadow creek high is nothing but willowridge in the early 80s (school was racially mixed to begin with) but since it's new people forget easily

Only thing out there is living a few miles from pearland worth the cost when you could fix something up a few miles up the road for cheaper

Old 03-23-2016, 10:23 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,795,739 times
I would not build a KB home. They have BBB warnings for their company, are heavily reported on RIP OFF REPORT, and are known for their shoddy construction practices as well as not resolving and following up on their warranty claims.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
I would not build a KB home. They have BBB warnings for their company, are heavily reported on RIP OFF REPORT, and are known for their shoddy construction practices as well as not resolving and following up on their warranty claims.
Oh wow really, I lot of the Builders that I researched had bad BBB reports though. Are those really trustworthy?

Old 03-23-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
I went to ridge also in the late 90s.....it's nothing what it was then but reputation hurts...shadow creek high is nothing but willowridge in the early 80s (school was racially mixed to begin with) but since it's new people forget easily

Only thing out there is living a few miles from pearland worth the cost when you could fix something up a few miles up the road for cheaper
Yea, that Tax rate is a big deterrent. The Mrs. really wants a new construction so we are stuck with that But I still leaning towards Fresno, cheaper tax rate.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:18 PM

48 posts, read 70,121 times
KB Homes have a bad reputation in the Houston area for a reason if you look at the extensive complaints. Outside Houston, in say Austin, they're not nearly as poorly regarded but that is different region management from my understanding. But, locally I try to show my clients alternatives to a KB community if there are any.

That being said if you're looking to build in the 200 - 250s then head a little further south and check out:

Rodeo Palms : Express, Castlerock and Saratoga homes are all good choices. Saratoga has the most 'standard' things for the money.

Sterling Lakes : Express - but avoid Anglia and LGI who also have bad reputations. Westin has 2 plans starting in the upper 250's (Riverchase & Tuscany) but the others quickly go into the 300s. Let me tell you if you like bay windows you will LOVE Westin's plans.

Meridiana : or if you can max the budget for a smaller home then consider this new community - they will be starting in the low 250s for David Weekley and CalAtlantic (formerly Ryland). I have several clients frothing at the mouth for that development to start finishing homes. They have just started taking lot reservations and contracts and should start move ins before next school year.

If you're concerned with moving so far from the shops and development on 518 you should know they are building a massive center at Highway 6 and 288, on the West side just south of Rodeo Palms. I think it's supposed to be done in around a year. Grocery, retail etc.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_marney View Post
KB Homes have a bad reputation in the Houston area for a reason if you look at the extensive complaints. Outside Houston, in say Austin, they're not nearly as poorly regarded but that is different region management from my understanding. But, locally I try to show my clients alternatives to a KB community if there are any.

That being said if you're looking to build in the 200 - 250s then head a little further south and check out:

Rodeo Palms : Express, Castlerock and Saratoga homes are all good choices. Saratoga has the most 'standard' things for the money.

Sterling Lakes : Express - but avoid Anglia and LGI who also have bad reputations. Westin has 2 plans starting in the upper 250's (Riverchase & Tuscany) but the others quickly go into the 300s. Let me tell you if you like bay windows you will LOVE Westin's plans.

Meridiana : or if you can max the budget for a smaller home then consider this new community - they will be starting in the low 250s for David Weekley and CalAtlantic (formerly Ryland). I have several clients frothing at the mouth for that development to start finishing homes. They have just started taking lot reservations and contracts and should start move ins before next school year.

If you're concerned with moving so far from the shops and development on 518 you should know they are building a massive center at Highway 6 and 288, on the West side just south of Rodeo Palms. I think it's supposed to be done in around a year. Grocery, retail etc.
Wow thanks t_marney, very insightful information! Will definitely check those communities out this weekend!

Old 03-23-2016, 02:24 PM

Just looked at the Meridiana development and it does look nice. But I bet its going to be expensive, 200s - 250s is our budget with 260s being our max.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:47 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,833,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOnlyMe View Post
Just looked at the Meridiana development and it does look nice. But I bet its going to be expensive, 200s - 250s is our budget with 260s being our max.
I think you'll be able to get some of the smaller homes in this development and be within/near the upper echelons of your price range, but it may not fit your desired sq ft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston