Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2016, 10:23 AM

23 posts, read 26,039 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I'm 26, single, white male. Looking for a huge change in life. I'm currently living in Rhode Island and working as a Software Engineer. I've pretty much done everything there is to do in Rhode Island and can't take another winter here. I've always had a lot of interest in Texas, especially Houston.

My question is, how much should I save up before moving down there? I would like to maybe live in the suburbs of Houston, as I'm sure it's cheaper than actually living in the city. I'm single, so I don't need anything too expensive, but I would like it be a nice area, for when family visits, etc.

I've seen questions like this asked already but most of them were from 2008/2010. So in the year 2016, what should my savings be like?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 10:28 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,809,398 times
It really depends on whether you have a job, how much you can spend on rent, whether you have a car already, what your day-to-day expenses and bills are typically.

My best guess is $14,545.87.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:29 AM

986 posts, read 1,272,893 times
Enough to live on for a year, unless you are moving here with a job.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:23 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,174,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm8082 View Post
Hey,

I'm 26, single, white male. Looking for a huge change in life. I'm currently living in Rhode Island and working as a Software Engineer. I've pretty much done everything there is to do in Rhode Island and can't take another winter here. I've always had a lot of interest in Texas, especially Houston.

My question is, how much should I save up before moving down there? I would like to maybe live in the suburbs of Houston, as I'm sure it's cheaper than actually living in the city. I'm single, so I don't need anything too expensive, but I would like it be a nice area, for when family visits, etc.

I've seen questions like this asked already but most of them were from 2008/2010. So in the year 2016, what should my savings be like?

Thanks!
What kind of software engineer are you? If you have the right software skillset then you should be able to afford to live inside the city and enjoy its single people amenities.

Depending on your answer to my previous question and taking into account your life stage I would guess you need at least $9000 in savings. If you have a lot of student loans then obviously that needs to be factored in.

If you're looking for a huge life change then Houston is an excellent choice. The culture shock alone should keep the experience interesting for a while.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:19 PM

23 posts, read 26,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
What kind of software engineer are you? If you have the right software skillset then you should be able to afford to live inside the city and enjoy its single people amenities.

Depending on your answer to my previous question and taking into account your life stage I would guess you need at least $9000 in savings. If you have a lot of student loans then obviously that needs to be factored in.

If you're looking for a huge life change then Houston is an excellent choice. The culture shock alone should keep the experience interesting for a while.

I'm a guidewire/java/c# developer. I make good money in Rhode Island, but I need a change of atmosphere, can't take many more days here. I would be coming down there without a job most likely as it would be easier to interview for jobs, etc once I'm there. I don't think it will take too long to find a job as a software engineer in Houston. (I have a very good resume). But, you never know. So I would like to be prepared with enough money before going down there. Plus, I would like to have a month or 2 to myself to just enjoy the transition, get familiar with the area, and relax a little before I start up a new job. I was thinking about $10,000 would be good. But anyone down in Houston would know better than me.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:29 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Get a small 1 bedroom on a 6 month lease, because since you have no job - and most likely they will require the 6 months up front. That will eat up quite a bit of the $10K.

You can move to an apartment closer to the job (wherever) after the lease is up.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:45 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
An extended stay motel may be a better option. You do not commit to a lease and the upfront cost is a lot less. Then as soon as you find a job you can look for another place. A decent extended stay hotel can be had for less than 50 bucks a day.

In 1980 I came down to Houston on a bus with nothing but a high school education, the clothes on my back and $500. I had no credit history. I would probably want to bring $1500 today.

Example:

http://www.intownsuites.com/extended.../houston/katy/

I see there is another thread on motels with monthly rates. You may want to check that out.

I would say 5K is more than enough. You might want to consider Austin also. Especially since you are a software engineer. Austin is more expensive. Don't even think about Dallas. The Cowboys suck.

Last edited by whogo; 03-11-2016 at 04:01 PM..

Old 03-12-2016, 04:34 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,775 times
Better to try and find a job from where you are and get the company to relocate you, if your resume is very good then you have a shot. At least speak to some recruiters first to get some idea of what is out there.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:09 AM

2 posts, read 6,106 times
I am glad somebody asked this question, I am thinking about doing the same exact thing (single female 26). I live in MA right now and it is just way too expensive and I hate the winter and I just want a change. But I have never been to TX and right now is probably not the best time to visit with all the flooding going on, but I would have the opportunity to transfer for work. I am kind of torn between North Carolina, Southern Virginia, and Texas.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:28 AM

958 posts, read 2,574,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc82789 View Post
I am glad somebody asked this question, I am thinking about doing the same exact thing (single female 26). I live in MA right now and it is just way too expensive and I hate the winter and I just want a change. But I have never been to TX and right now is probably not the best time to visit with all the flooding going on, but I would have the opportunity to transfer for work. I am kind of torn between North Carolina, Southern Virginia, and Texas.

The city has for the most part returned to normal. Damage will be repaired again.

Way of life here every few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston