Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 10:56 AM

116 posts, read 170,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
And here's a link to a map of FEMA's initial flooding assessment here. As you can see looking at Cypress, virtually all the flood damage occurred north of 290, save for Hot Wells, 2 homes in Blackhorse Ranch, and 1 homes in CCL. The sensationalism of one poster going entirely off biased anecdotal information pretty much has no legs to stand on based on this latest report (and many others). Yes, Cypress Creek south of 290 will flood its banks at times like these, but Bridgeland and Towne Lake have some of the best flood detention systems out of any neighborhoods along the Cypress Creek watershed, plus are about as upstream on the creek as they could possibly be. I predict Cypress south of 290 (and north of little Cypress creek on the other side of 290 over near the SW corner of 99@249) will continue to churn out nice big homes for the foreseeable future as land that didn't flood during Harvey is going to be viewed more and more favorably over the coming decades. What's happened in parts of Katy, Sugarland, and Kingwood is truly a tragedy, but one I think more people are going to realize is avoidable by choice.
Actually Alder Trails, Riata West and Barker Lakes had major flooding. There were boats rescuing people and the national guard was there. If there are photos of any home sustaining flooding in that area, because it is adjacent to TL they may have mistaken it for TL. Also another reason why folks blame TL for flooding them. But in actuality those communities drain into Cypress Creek. You can look up the information on their MUD website, it tells you how it drains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayguy01 View Post
I was in Alder Trails this past weekend, ended up leaving via boat after the water starting coming inside. A large majority of the houses sustained water damage and AT has a nice large lake area that itself didn't help the situation. These are mostly houses built in the last 18 months as much of the neighborhood has empty lots still available for purchase.
So sorry to hear that, and glad you are safe.

Has the developer worked with the MUD to have the tributary to Cypress Creek widened?

With Alder Trails, Riata West and Barker Lakes draining into Cypress Creek, it is a huge risk to those communities, since Cypress Creek always floods.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I didn't know if Alder Trails had flooded at all but suspected it did considering there were boat recues in Hot Wells, which is adjacent, and Stonegate had some flooding as well, which is Barker-Cypress. I suspect that will unfortunately not he the first time as Bridgeland, CCL, and Towne Lake now produces massive amounts of runoff for the rest of the neighborhoods downstream on Cypress Creek, the first of which is Alder Trails, Hot Wells, Stonegate & Cole's Crossing. Bridgeland and Towne Lake will produce more runoff too once built out more, not to mention the other neighborhoods yet to be built like Dunham Pointe and whatever infill goes around it that will also produce runoff. Thanks for the additional information.
There wasn't flooding along Langham Creek near the new community center on Greenhouse, but I reread the report on FEMA's website and it said the liklihood of flooding in that area would increase once construction upstream on Langham Creek was completed. So that means when Bridgeland builds out that section along with FedEx and I think there is another community Elian or something like that. I know the flood control district will widen Langham creek along with those developments, since the developers have to pay per acre developed for the project, and they are building the upper langham creek detention to mitigate flooding, however it still makes me wonder if in 5 to 10 years whether flooding will increase along Langham creek.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:04 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,819,998 times
Thank you xhevoice for clarifying what people driving around these neighborhoods during Harvey already knew. There was a lot of misinformation about Bridgeland & Towne Lake and I'm not sure why. I'm sure there wasn't an agenda, but it weirdly felt like there was one.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:36 AM

3 posts, read 6,674 times
riata ranch east of barker cypress flooded as well, my cousin had to be rescued by boat during Harvey.
My brother in tl said during the storm tl had street flooding didnt say anything about actual homes there being flooded.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:40 AM

3 posts, read 6,674 times
also my rent house in bear creek meadows on w little York didnt experience any flooding. Had that house for 14 years and neighborhood only has experience street flooding.

Old 07-19-2019, 11:00 PM

3 posts, read 3,656 times
Angry Depends...

I moved here to escape the riff-raff of Katy, but ended up next to a carpet cleaning business that parks their trucks here in front of my house. "We're looking for an affordable lease to keep the trucks." After 3 months, "we've found a lease." 3 weeks later, the trucks are back. Tonight, an extended pickup with a 20' trailer in front of my house. BRIDGELAND DOES NOTHING. AVOID THIS GHETTO AT ALL COSTS!

Old 07-20-2019, 07:53 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,819,998 times
Lmao “avoid this ghetto”. Ghetto getting quite uppity these days then.. I do feel like the homes are grossly overpriced per sq ft and the MUD tax rates are outrageous, but that’s the case for TL too just not as extreme as Bridgeland it would seem.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:13 AM

32 posts, read 42,539 times
Quote:
Lmao “avoid this ghetto”. Ghetto getting quite uppity these days then.. I do feel like the homes are grossly overpriced per sq ft and the MUD tax rates are outrageous, but that’s the case for TL too just not as extreme as Bridgeland it would seem.
The homes in bl are so overpriced that it's ridiculous. That alone makes me look the other way.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:45 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,519,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texconsin View Post
I moved here to escape the riff-raff of Katy, but ended up next to a carpet cleaning business that parks their trucks here in front of my house. "We're looking for an affordable lease to keep the trucks." After 3 months, "we've found a lease." 3 weeks later, the trucks are back. Tonight, an extended pickup with a 20' trailer in front of my house. BRIDGELAND DOES NOTHING. AVOID THIS GHETTO AT ALL COSTS!
The bylaws probably have language that restrict running a business out of your home. If you have some way to show they are doing this, such as a business address listed there on Google or whatever, you should be able to report it to the HOA for them to take action. They were probably warned, found somewhere to park their vehicles for 3 months and moved them back. So you'll have to report them again and keep following up, presenting evidence they are running a business from the home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnd915 View Post
The homes in bl are so overpriced that it's ridiculous. That alone makes me look the other way.
There was a time when the economy was down (around 2010) where you could buy a new home there for about $80/sq. ft. But yeah, it's pretty high now and the 3.7% property tax rate isn't easy to swallow either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston