Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 11:04 AM
bu2

24,093 posts, read 14,879,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post
So let's say a school was named after a Nazi sympathizer, you would be okay with keeping the name and sending your kids there?
What if it was named after a communist who cheated on his wife? Well MLK had other good traits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 12:11 PM

2,549 posts, read 4,052,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
What if it was named after a communist who cheated on his wife? Well MLK had other good traits.
Comparing MLK to a Nazi is foul.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:51 PM

465 posts, read 256,963 times
Quote:
Gross. Glad to be on the opposite side of any argument you might support.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:06 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Eh not rename Lee HS after Sheila Jackson Lee? (yes I know shes not a great politician)
Stonewall Jackson after an HISD employee with Jackson in his or her name?
Michael Jackson.

We hope students are touched by their time at Michael Jackson High...

Old 02-03-2016, 09:19 PM
bu2

24,093 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Comparing MLK to a Nazi is foul.
And yet Robert E. Lee or AS Johnston or even Sidney Lanier can be compared to Adolph?

You two really make my point about the mindlessness of this effort.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
And yet Robert E. Lee or AS Johnston or even Sidney Lanier can be compared to Adolph?

You two really make my point about the mindlessness of this effort.
Nope. Wrong. The Nazi point was being made to say, at what point does one object to whom the school is named after? Since the argument was raised that nobody cares about who it's named after anyway. So I was saying Nazis are far worse than confederates.

How I read your post was that after Nazis had been brought up, you raised the ante, so to speak, by talking about MLK as though he was just as bad or even worse than a nazi. Perhaps I misunderstood, and you were actually saying something nice about MLK by calling him a communist who cheated on his wife?

Old 02-04-2016, 08:47 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
and you were actually saying something nice about MLK by calling him a communist who cheated on his wife?
But he was?

Robert Lee was one of greatest generals ever. Just because he fought on the side that lost doesn't make him less of a historical figure. People are bend out of shape because those people that were named in the school are just as important as MLK to you.

Why should the small minority get to pick when the clear majority think otherwise?

Old 02-04-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
But he was?

Robert Lee was one of greatest generals ever. Just because he fought on the side that lost doesn't make him less of a historical figure. People are bend out of shape because those people that were named in the school are just as important as MLK to you.

Why should the small minority get to pick when the clear majority think otherwise?
Please, show me your clear majority.

Why don't they let the students decide? In a Montessori school a decision like this would never be made by a school board member, or a bunch of stupid adults. The students would be told to go and do some research into both the history of the person in question and the costs associated with changing the name. Then they would figure out the best decision.

I know, I should stop with the crazy logical talk.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:56 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,725,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
But he was?

A. The problem isn't that he was on the losing side, the problem is that he was on the wrong side. That's an important distinction.

B. Do you really think the majority of Houstonians would say that they want one of their high schools named after a confederate general? That's almost absurd, imho.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:00 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
A. The problem isn't that he was on the losing side, the problem is that he was on the wrong side. That's an important distinction.

B. Do you really think the majority of Houstonians would say that they want one of their high schools named after a confederate general? That's almost absurd, imho.
The winners always write the history book. That is a clear fact. I don't know how you can even argue as the loser have no say in it.

We are talking historical figures and importance to the country. Robert Lee was one of the greatest war generals ever, there is no denying that.

Now regarding Houstonians, I can tell you for a fact most people here would have no issue with it. As much as liberals have taken the city, this is still in Texas and are conservative majority. Also, how long have the school been name Lee? 30-40 years? There was no issue all this time. Why suddenly become an issue now? Because the 5 black board members think is an issue?

Hogwash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston