Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 07:50 AM

448 posts, read 1,588,799 times

Advertisements

We are looking to buy a house but its not cable ready. Does anyone know how much it would cost to have the cable company (comcast) run wires in three bedrooms and one living room?? any guesstimates would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 07:53 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,509,668 times
I get an independant contractor to run cat 5 where it needs to go. Don't pay the Comcast or any provider to do it.
I know Direct TV actually refuses now to do anything other than drop the line into your attic. When pressed they quote something like 180 a room on the second floor and they wouldn't do the first floor. Craziness. They've gotten spoiled by all the new construction that is "ready" to go. I happend to be lucky that my General Contractor was there the day Direct TV refused to do it.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:27 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,833,551 times
I think with Direct TV it totally depends on the contractor they've chosen for a particular area. They did a herculean amount of work to install our Direct TV in Portland. Lots of drilling holes and running lines everywhere. It took five hours.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:38 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,716,284 times
Cable could be expensive. They may have to dig a trench to run the cables from the box in your yard (or your neighbor's), lay the wire, wire the outside of the house, then wire the inside.

Dish is wireless all the way up to the roof, then it gets messy. But if you sign a contract the install for DirecTV should be free. There aren't any caveats on the DirecTV website regarding this. Just says ''FREE installation for up to 4 rooms.'' So maybe you can get them to come out to the house, and if they refuse to install then you might be able to cancel the contract since they didn't hold up their end of the deal. Just read the fine print.

If you're a handyman/woman and have a free Saturday, I suppose you could design & tackle this yourself. Your attic should be cool enough to work out of comfortably (right now anyway).

Old 02-05-2008, 11:02 AM

1,461 posts, read 5,600,103 times
Expensive.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:05 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,577,395 times
You're between a rock and a hard place.

Making the house cable-ready is not going to be cheap, and dish/satellite just doesn't cut it for me anyway, not here at least. It's one thing having a dish in, say, SoCal and having one here where it's often cloudy, making you pay a lot of money for bad reception.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:10 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,716,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
It's one thing having a dish in, say, SoCal and having one here where it's often cloudy, making you pay a lot of money for bad reception.

Interesting. I hear this sometimes from others, too. Personally I have never had a problem with my dish in College Station or Houston. Clouds & rain don't do anything. Lightning will take it out for several minutes, though. After installation I did have to go in and tweak the transponder settings once, though.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:10 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,509,668 times
Um, I have Direct TV, HD mothership dish, and I've only lost signal once for 3 minutes during a major downpour.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:15 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,577,395 times
My father-in-law living in NC, where it clouds (if not rains, at least not lately) a lot, and he seems to lose his signal a lot. Could he just have a bad installation or something? I've never personally had satellite in my place, so if you have a good experience with it, ignore me

Old 02-05-2008, 11:17 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,833,551 times
We've had Direct TV in Seattle, Portland, and Colorado Springs. We've had terrific reception in all of those places, even during wind storms, rain, and blizzards.

We've also had very good customer service from both Comcast and Direct TV, surprisingly enough!

Hopefully that will continue to be the case in Houston when we get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston