Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 08:01 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Sugar Land next month and I just started the hunt for a new school for my children (age 3 and 5). Right now they are in a fabulous school that they both love and it will be a tough act to follow.

I've looked at GreatSchools, CitySearch, and Yelp. We have heard terrific things about the Walden School but they are full with a waiting list of several months.

Does anyone have good or bad feedback about any Sugar Land preschools or pre-K programs? Our wish list:

Full day program.
Organized, structured curriculum.
NOT Montessori.
Good balance between academics and play.
Transportation to kindergarten starting next Fall.
Some computer time.
Spanish classes a bonus.
Good play ground; shade would be nice for hot days.
Peanut free a huge plus.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 12:51 PM

52 posts, read 328,545 times
Primrose is ok. We went there for a few months, has transportation to the schools (Greatwood).

Could write a book about the Montessori's in the area and tell you where NOT to go.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:06 PM

"OK" doesn't sound like a glowing endorsement!

I don't think the Montessori approach would work well for my children, so we wouldn't go to any of those.

Any other feedback is welcome - I'm trying to narrow a list to tour.

Thanks!

Last edited by Topaz; 02-05-2008 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: Clarity

Old 02-05-2008, 08:53 PM

268 posts, read 1,488,966 times
midwest -- I know this OP isn't looking for montessori but could you post briefly on why you don't like it -- is it only some montessori schools or the concept itself.

Topaz -- you may want to post whether you're looking for church based or if it doesn't matter. Are you looking for 5 days a week -- you may need to go with a child care place like kids r kids. I live in Katy so I can't help with specific places but I can tell you that you can look up the preschool and find out their inspection record and what/if any violations they had. If you don't know the website address for this, just ask the preschool -- I'm sure they can tell you who inspects them.

You might want to try and join a moms group even though you don't live here yet. Some moms groups will let you "lurk" before you move here - some won't . Try yahoo groups, meetup.com, mops, or MOMS club international for a group in Sugarland. You might just need to look at your must haves at this point and just register you kiddos ASAP because a lot of preschools are going to start registering for this fall and spaces will fill up quickly. Maybe register for 2 places and worst case, you loose a couple hundred bucks when you pick one.

The mom's group that I belong to is discussing this topic right now in Katy. My impression has been that a preschool that fits one mom's criteria isn't going to fit another moms. For example, one mom loves that the school does curb side drop off and pick up and wouldn't consider another school that doesn't offer that. My point so just take recommendations with a grain of salt -- someone might not like a place that works for you. Good luck (I have a 4 y/o so I can relate.)

Old 02-05-2008, 09:41 PM

caroline - depends on the church - I'm flexible about that. I need to pay for 5 full days per week since my work schedule is unpredictable.

I know about the Texas State Department of Health Web site where you can look up violations. I will definitely check that.

It is helpful to me to hear specific things that people either like or don't like about a school, even if my preferences would differ.

I've never even heard of curb side pick up and drop off...does that mean you don't have to get out of the car? That sounds really complicated in terms of logistics! You would have to arrive at such a precise time.

I had never heard of Kids R Kids until today when I discovered them online and learned that they have a Webcam where you can log on from work and see your children. That seems really cool.

I am finding that this is a TERRIBLE time of year to try to find openings. We've discovered that several schools are full until Summer or Fall. My children are doing so well in the school they are in now (a highly structured program) that I don't want to switch to something dramatically different. I want to try to duplicate what they have been doing that is working really well.

I sure do dread telling them that we are moving!

Old 02-06-2008, 01:36 AM

10 posts, read 42,973 times
We'll relocate to Sugar Land in March too. I am searching for a good daycare center for my 18-month-old son. Please comment on some daycares, such as kids r kids, creative minds, little wonders, kindercare, etc. Thanks!

Old 02-06-2008, 07:47 AM

268 posts, read 1,488,966 times
Topaz -- you may just need to go on a waiting list at a school that is your 1st choice. In the meantime, perhaps have someone come to the house to watch the kids so they don't have to get used to two schools/daycares. It seems like in the mom's group that I'm in, some moms are taking their kids out of preschool and others got theirs in this week so spots do open up. I can ask on my mom's group if anyone knows of any good full-time preschools in Sugarland.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:57 AM

caroline - it would be FABULOUS if you asked your mom's group for any recommendations or warnings and posted them here - it seems like people moving to Sugar Land are always wondering about preschools and pre-K.

It did take me several months to find the right school here in the Portland area and we had a nanny while we waited but my children really seemed to thrive so much more in the school environment. I'll find a nanny if I have to do so but my fear is that doing that would make the relocation even tougher.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:21 AM

54 posts, read 192,242 times
Topaz, I feel for you... we've been in your situation and I know how hard it is all around. I think you need to get on the phone and call every preschool option you can find. Obviously it doesn't replace a visit but you can get a feel for the school from talking to the directors. You will find people here in Houston are so, so friendly and will spend a lot of time talking to you. If a school is full, ask where they'd recommend. Eventually you'll start to hear some names over and over.

I think you'll find most church programs won't offer the full time program you need. I think there will be more availability and the schedule you need with day care type programs. Also look at private elementary schools because they sometimes have preschools too with full time schedules.

I agree w/ the suggestion to join a moms group or meetup group.

Curbside dropoff: Lots of schools here do it! You just wait in line in your car and the teachers are there to take your child in. It is a nice thing although you do miss the chance to talk with other parents and the teacher. (and you might want to talk w/ other parents to make friends) If you can't be there at the drop off times, you just park and take your kid inside.

In any case, as you've found, schools are registering in Feb for next year. It is a tough time and I agree that you might have to pay extra reg. fees to guarantee the spots and then make a final decision later.

I realize this hasn't been the slightest bit helpful because you need specific recommendations and I don't have any for Sugar Land. But good luck and in the end... don't stress because it is only preschool... there will be someplace that is good for them. (I can say this now in hindsight with my kids starting elementary school.)

Old 02-06-2008, 09:59 AM

Thanks, laniec, the input is helpful - I do plan to use the telephone extensively and my husband will start doing tours when he gets there next week.

If anyone knows a Sugar Land mommy group where I wouldn't be the only employed mom, I'd be interested.

That curb side pick up and drop off thing is so interesting! Here I always go into the school and spend 15-20 minutes helping my children get settled in and my daughter is especially attached to our routine. I don't think she or I would enjoy that type of quick drop off at all! (Or maybe it is just me who wants that morning time!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston