Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 03:27 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,798,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I never heard of whales in the Gulf Mexico either. I always associated them with the Northern Pacific and Arctic Oceans. Actually, the thought of whales in the Gulf Of Mexico never crossed my mind. It seems like the water would be too warm for them. I wonder if its possible that one of the reasons he died was because he was in the Gulf of Mexico. Maybe he had an illness that instinctively drove him to warm waters? I dont know. But I can't help but think a whale in the Gulf of Mexico is the exception rather than the rule.

I know sharks in the Gulf is not uncommon, but apparently whales don't get the publicity.
Given its size, there will smaller numbers of almost every marine animal living in the Gulf. There are, in fact, several species of whales to be found living there, including orcas and blue whales. No belugas, though.

The perception that whales are a cold water group is nothing more than the result of common misinformation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 11:41 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,245,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
There were over 300 of these same Whales that died off in southern Patagonia back in June of this year. It sounds like it may be some epidemic of some sort...

337 Whales Beached in Largest Stranding Ever

The coast of southern Chile has become a grave for 337 sei whales that were found beached in what scientists say is one of the biggest whale strandings ever recorded.
Biologist Vreni Haussermann told the Associated Press on Tuesday that she made the discovery along with other scientists in June during an observation flight over fjords in Chile’s southern Patagonia region.

337 whales dead in Chile in one of history's biggest beachings | World news | The Guardian
Sounds like they let in one whale through the Panama Canal.

Old 12-25-2015, 06:59 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,869,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Given its size, there will smaller numbers of almost every marine animal living in the Gulf. There are, in fact, several species of whales to be found living there, including orcas and blue whales. No belugas, though.

The perception that whales are a cold water group is nothing more than the result of common misinformation.
If there are so many Whales in the Gulf why don't they take advantage of that by having Whale watching cruises like they do in the Northern Pacific? Seems like a missed opportunity especially since the weather is much nicer in the gulf than it is in the Northern Pacific.

Old 12-25-2015, 07:53 AM

234 posts, read 293,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
If there are so many Whales in the Gulf why don't they take advantage of that by having Whale watching cruises like they do in the Northern Pacific? Seems like a missed opportunity especially since the weather is much nicer in the gulf than it is in the Northern Pacific.
It is a much longer boat ride to get to deep water in the Gulf of Mexico, and they don't reliably congregate in a predictable area.

Old 12-25-2015, 06:48 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,996,535 times
All I know is those people are dumb.

Who wants to watch and take pictures of an oozing dead animal? It's so nasty.

The news cycles were driving me crazy with the constant reporting. Enough. It washed ashore. Report. It died. Report. It's being examined. Report.

End of story.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:17 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,512,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post

The news cycles were driving me crazy with the constant reporting. Enough. It washed ashore. Report. It died. Report. It's being examined. Report.

End of story.

This is spot on, not only that but they act like Woodstock like crowds are gathering then when the camera pans around you see like maybe a couple of dozen people waving at the camera. Its so overstated..

Old 12-28-2015, 08:23 AM

66 posts, read 99,317 times
I found a shark tooth on Galveston Island while looking for shells. I almost tossed it until I saw what it was....

It measures four inches long from root to pointed tip. People I show it to freak out at its size.

There are some very big sharks out there - this tooth would go all the way through a man's forearm.

I swim only in pools now.... And when I search for sea shells I stay out of the surf. Just sayin'!

Old 12-29-2015, 10:46 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,798,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post

End of story.
Have you ever seen a whale up close? Seems to me like it would be a pretty surreal experience, whether it was dead or alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston