Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 02:16 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,451,968 times

Advertisements

When I went to TSU we ate frenchy's a lot...WE LOVED IT!!....But now I realize that its overrated...but...The peach cobbler is something that I still crave for.....way up here in Dallas .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 06:31 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Frenchys has gotten ridiculously expensive . The chicken pieces shrunk but the prices blew up. Not good sense.
Percy Creuzot would've been disgusted by how this franchise takeover has been slowly ruining his legacy.
Right? The drumsticks look like baby chick legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
I like popeye's better.

This.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:32 PM

693 posts, read 1,107,891 times
opened this thread expecting beeching about something

not disappointed

frenchys is so overrated. my mom and grandmaw make way better fried chicken.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:33 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
When I went to TSU we ate frenchy's a lot...WE LOVED IT!!....But now I realize that its overrated...but...The peach cobbler is something that I still crave for.....way up here in Dallas .
Better than William's Chicken.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:49 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
As someone who has watched Frenchy's fail three times with expansion just in Houston alone...I hope this doesn't diminish the quality as everything now turns corporate and focuses on the dollar sign...

Then they will tear down the Scott Street location for a new building which I think is wrong as part of the ambiance was waiting in line and dealing with the elements....you don't mess with something unless its broke....I thought the sons would've learned it from their dad's mistake when he expanded in the 80s...

and the crazy part, the franchised locations don't come anywhere near the taste of the original... the 33 in houston is enough now....
The expansion the 2nd time around seems to be doing just fine now. While I do agree with others how they've slacked on quality and quantity since the expansion we could use a Frenchy's here in Atlanta. I'd kill for some Texas food here in Atlanta. Sorry, but i'm missing Texas and Louisiana food even fast food so I could see this becoming a good thing. People here in Atlanta would tear it up. They already have plenty of restaurants here with "Texas style" food and none of them taste like anything close to Texas food.

So Frenchy's come on over to the A and please tell Whataburger we need you over here as well!

Old 11-23-2015, 09:06 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,148 times
Not sure when good fried chicken got so expensive, and cheap fried chicken got so bad. Go to Barbecue Inn and pay for good fried chicken.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:09 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,020,413 times
Barbecue Inn is pretty bland. Not sure why people keep saying it's one of the best. It's good, but no where near one of the best in this city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
Go to Barbecue Inn and pay for good fried chicken.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:43 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
Barbecue Inn is pretty bland. Not sure why people keep saying it's one of the best. It's good, but no where near one of the best in this city.
Any recommendations for good seasoned, or even spicy, fried chicken?

Last edited by Augiec; 11-23-2015 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: not sure why I capitalized fried chicken there... lol

Old 11-23-2015, 10:10 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Frenchy's has quite a bit of variation from store to store.

Over by my work, there are two Frenchy's and one of them is much better than the other, but neither is as good as the Scott Street location of ten years ago.

It's been a couple of years since I've been to the Scott Street location, but the last time I went there, it was pretty good, but not as good as it used to be.

-------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
I've been to BBQ Inn a few times, and I agree it's totally overrated. I thought their fried chicken was good, but nothing noteworthy. It was also fairly pricey and took a long time to make it to the table The big irritation is how they serve CFS (also way overrated) but don't have mashed potatoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
Any recommendations for good seasoned, or even spicy, fried chicken?
Fried chicken has just gone downhill lately. The prices have gone up, the size has gotten smaller and they have become more bland.

I used to love Popeyes back in the day. They had big spicy pieces of chicken. Now they are much smaller and not nearly as spicy.

Currently, Frenchy's is still my favorite, but I think that comes down to a lack of choice.

The best chicken is still made at home. The key is to brine it with a really spiced up brine. Of course, it's such a hassle to do, I haven't done it in years.

That reminds me, I need to buy another turkey. I always brine those as well.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:17 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Fried chicken has just gone downhill lately. The prices have gone up, the size has gotten smaller and they have become more bland.

I used to love Popeyes back in the day. They had big spicy pieces of chicken. Now they are much smaller and not nearly as spicy.

Currently, Frenchy's is still my favorite, but I think that comes down to a lack of choice.

The best chicken is still made at home. The key is to brine it with a really spiced up brine. Of course, it's such a hassle to do, I haven't done it in years.

That reminds me, I need to buy another turkey. I always brine those as well.
I hear ya. I used to love Popeye's, but the last time I got it, there was so much grease & oil, I thought about pouring into my old beater car's engine in lieu of getting an oil change. It was just nasty. Someone needs to open a decent fried chicken place and do it right. Heck, I'd do it if I had any idea how to fry chicken lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston