Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 09:19 AM

2,847 posts, read 2,165,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
There are plentiful places to eat authentic Chinese food in Houston. Confucius Seafood is good. They do have English menus too. You can find jellyfish dishes and fish bladder soup even, if you are adventurous. Peking duck is excellent, as is the crab and lobster dishes. Most dishes would be palatable for the western palate though.
Peking duck adventurous? Maybe as compared to General Tso's Chicken. There are also better places for Peking Duck than Confucius. They do have good seafood though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 09:34 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Peking duck adventurous? Maybe as compared to General Tso's Chicken. There are also better places for Peking Duck than Confucius. They do have good seafood though.
No it's not adventurous, I was putting some mainstream dishes on the list to balance out the jellyfish/ fish bladders!

Some of the places I ate at in Alief that served chicken feet and countless unusual dishes I wouldn't recommend eating at without someone who is "in the know" about authentic dishes. Confucius Seafood has a good balance.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:18 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
There are plentiful places to eat authentic Chinese food in Houston. Confucius Seafood is good. They do have English menus too. You can find jellyfish dishes and fish bladder soup even, if you are adventurous. Peking duck is excellent, as is the crab and lobster dishes. Most dishes would be palatable for the western palate though.
Sorry if there was any confusion, but I meant that most places in SF won't have the secondary or verbal menus like Houston. Houston has authentic, but many times people might not know it because they are automatically handed the "American menu" and don't even know there is the "authentic menu" or ability to order authentic food. Not all places in Houston are like this, but many are.

I guess I did a poor job of explaining what I meant to say.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:25 PM

8 posts, read 8,649 times
Wow this is exciting. What are some of the places you would recommend? American , Thai, Chinese ( dumplings ) and indian ?

Old 09-14-2015, 05:31 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranew View Post
Wow this is exciting. What are some of the places you would recommend? American , Thai, Chinese ( dumplings ) and indian ?
You can't go wrong at Houston's Restaurant for good ole American cousin.

Thai Gourmet is my favorite Thai place in Houston.

If you like Persian food Cafe Caspian will not disappoint. My must eat at spot every time I'm back in Houston.

I have not been to Ashiana in many years but it had excellent Indian food.

It appears to still be going strong...Ashiana Indian Restaurant

Old 10-11-2015, 05:04 AM

848 posts, read 2,126,828 times
Filipino food can be quite tasty and the soup options can be quite healthy.

While we ate at Filipino cafes in San Diego regularly, we don't do it as much here in Houston. I mean, that's all there was to eat in San Diego's Southbay other than Mexican food.

No, I don't rep Pugon de Manila...but that is a GREAT option here in Houston. My wife is picky about outside Filipino food and she says it is excellent. She won't hesitate to go there at all if we are in the mood for a Pinoy cafe.

I don't particularly like Red Ribbon Bakery but the pastries at Pugon are off the chain, especially the pan de coco.

Jollibee is what it is. If there are Whataburger, McD's, Jack in the Crack and such here, well it's capitalism for what it's worth.

I do like the corn beef and rice breakfast at Jollibee's once in a blue moon.

But some posters here don't apparently seem enthused that a burgeoning Filipino food area is sprouting in a certain corner here. I think it's cool.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:38 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,032,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
houston ahead of Los Angeles, New Orleans, New York, and Chicago?
Yeah . This is only 1970.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston