Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 12:08 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,315,098 times

Advertisements

Actually it's a perfect argument. I use it all the time. We're driving an older car and in exchange have a pool.

For us, it's been one of the best choices we've made, but it's not for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 12:13 PM

5,848 posts, read 6,205,683 times
I think to swallow the bitter pill of the cost of building a pool yourself, you have to think of it as an asset, not an investment. You will never get back what you put into it. You will, however, get enjoyment and use out of it, and it can contribute greatly to your happiness and satisfaction with your home.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:02 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,667,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I think to swallow the bitter pill of the cost of building a pool yourself, you have to think of it as an asset, not an investment. You will never get back what you put into it. You will, however, get enjoyment and use out of it, and it can contribute greatly to your happiness and satisfaction with your home.
Agreed. The only thing I'm "investing" in when I make my pool payment is lifestyle. I'm basically paying to go on a whole bunch of little vacations in my backyard, and everybody knows you don't get back vacation money. You do it to improve your quality of life.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:24 PM

5,848 posts, read 6,205,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Agreed. The only thing I'm "investing" in when I make my pool payment is lifestyle. I'm basically paying to go on a whole bunch of little vacations in my backyard, and everybody knows you don't get back vacation money. You do it to improve your quality of life.
So, we moved back here in June and so far, my husband and I have not had a date night or weekend getaway, like we envisioned when we moved back to our hometown and had grandparents to help babysit. In Denver, we would often get a babysitter and go out, just the two of us.

We were talking about this last night and decided the reason we haven't yet gone out is because we don't really want to. We love spending time in our backyard that much, and a lot of it is because of the pool. And my husband is not a good hands on caregiver at all, and is not interested in the kid's school activities.....but he is now spending more time with them because of the pool....

Now, I was a bit worried about the pool until my 4 year old started swimming about 3 weeks ago. Of course, the kids can't be trusted to be out there alone, but I don't worry about her falling in and drowning anymore. With our last pool, the kids were toddler and infant age, and it was huge source of worry for me.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:02 PM

234 posts, read 293,733 times
I am going with answer #3 - none of the above!

Old 08-28-2015, 12:21 PM

1,011 posts, read 979,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77030 View Post
I am going with answer #3 - none of the above!
You got that wrong, bro. What's better than having your own pool? Having friends/relatives with a pool.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:50 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,024,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
You got that wrong, bro. What's better than having your own pool? Having friends/relatives with a pool.
Haha! That is definitely the right answer! Our friends that have pools love having their friends over for parties. We are happy to come over

Old 08-28-2015, 12:53 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,989,863 times
If you have kids, the pool is probably the best investment ever.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:55 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,802,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
Or having a good neighborhood pool. Splash around in it whenever you want, let someone else handle the maintenance and scoop the leaves out.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:57 PM

224 posts, read 263,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
If you have kids, the pool is probably the best investment ever.
Statment that swayed me, from DW:

"Do you want our 13 year old daughter hanging around at the neighbor boy's pool, or the neighbor boy within range at our pool".

Contract signed 10 days later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston